Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Laminova intercoolers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on Supercharger Drive and SEMA Show

The supercharger drive system uses the Antonov Mechanical Module unit (AMM) and was incorporated into a Hummer H3 and a Ford Mustang GT. Wheel to Wheel Powertrain received significant interest for the system for application to the Hummer H3. To facilitate this process, Wheel to Wheel Powertrain has begun issuing pricing for the application kits. In addition, the first production batch of AMM units has been ordered from Antonov's manufacturing partner, Neue ZWL Zahnradwek Leipzig GmbH.

Brad Shantry, Product Development Manager of Wheel to Wheel Powertrain, said:
"The SEMA show was a great success and the supercharger drive system in particular was very well received. We are confident that it will prove popular within the performance industry owing to the significant boost to power and torque it gives to mid range engine speeds. This enhanced engine performance will be particularly useful on a medium size 4-wheel drive SUV."
Old 08-02-2017, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Had to bring this up..

Anybody seen laminova cooler for turbo charged lsx?
Old 08-02-2017, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtiejoni
Had to bring this up..

Anybody seen laminova cooler for turbo charged lsx?
I wish someone would make an intake with 6 cores built into it. Sort of like a LSA or LS9 supercharger shape, but with a plenum on the bottom instead of a supercharger. Then have 3 cores built into each bank. I believe MB uses these in their supercharged cars.

Andrew
Old 08-04-2017, 05:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have 16 cores sitting here with a flat style w/a integrated into an intake manifold in mind but haven't made progress on it.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Post some pictures!
Old 08-05-2017, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are they really any better than decent traditional style cores though? What is the real advantage of them? Also I can see how they get the heat into the water is it's just a straight pipe inside the cores isn't it?
Old 08-06-2017, 01:40 AM
Staging Lane

It has a massive surface area due to all the fins, so its very effective at cooling the charge air.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ben.
It has a massive surface area due to all the fins, so its very effective at cooling the charge air.
agreed on the air side, but what about the water side? As said I think they are just a smooth bore on the inside (water side). You have to remember that you are trying to move the heat to the water so you need a high surface area on BOTH the air and water sides.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I believe the bore is smooth on the water side, just like any other "radiator." GM also used these on the supercharged Cadillac engines. I believe 4 cores were used on that engine, which seems about right given the HP rating.

Andrew
Old 08-06-2017, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Its the most efficient core, and typically the most expensive to make.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Every 4th Gen F-body has one.

Andrew
Old 08-07-2017, 03:52 AM
TECH Addict

Has anyone done any testing back to back with say a bell or Garrett core of the same size? I'm not convinced that these cores would be any better than a decent traditional air to water core. The packaging seems to be a nightmare for these cores as well!
Old 08-07-2017, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think Kenney Bell used to offer some intercoolers with these cores and had data on the website, but I don't see it now. The superchargers that are used in the Bell kits are from the same company (autorotor) that make the laminiva cores (Opcon).

It would be interesting to know why GM didn't use these in the LSA/LS9/LT4. They already had experience with the older Cadillac STSv and the Cobalt. I'm guessing it was a purely financial decision.

Andrew
Old 08-08-2017, 02:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chuntington101
agreed on the air side, but what about the water side? As said I think they are just a smooth bore on the inside (water side). You have to remember that you are trying to move the heat to the water so you need a high surface area on BOTH the air and water sides.
I'm not even going to pretend like I know the correct scientific terms here, but there's something along the lines of heat transfer coeffient and thermal mass that come into play. I think the short version is that water can suck up a lot of heat out of a lot of air in a short time, meaning that you don't need massive flow on the water side.

edit - specific heat capacity and thermal conductivity is what I was refering to.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

How about this one?

More pics until the link expires
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vectorpro-l...p2047675.l2557
Old 04-28-2018, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pocket
How about this one?

Looks sexy. It has six cores, which will support about 900HP.

Andrew
Old 04-29-2018, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket
How about this one?

To my knowledge, these have never been tested. The builder of them made one for a LSA blower and it was a huge failure. It hadnt been fitted, or tested. It didnt fit and it ran way hot and lost a ton of power from additional airflow issues
Old 04-29-2018, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

And $3000 is just way too much $ to pay to be a beta tester with no support
Old 04-29-2018, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by super_kev
Well, I did some reading up on A/W setups, and I see that most A/W guys are running 5 gal tanks. I could only run around a 1 gal holding tank, and a 12-14" heat exchanger w/fan (or maybe a rectangular '03-04 Cobra-type unit). A smaller tank (1 gal) should be able to cool down faster than the larger tanks for the drag cars, so I wouldn't think that would be an issue. I wouldn't mind going with a standard A/A, but my problem is that 3rd gen birds have less room in the nose than 4th gen birds, and also don't have any areas that can be cut out to provide more airflow.
for whatever it’s worth I also have a 87 TA and it has been A2A and A2W. Originally it was A2A with a centri supercharger on a 5.3. A2A kept IATs in the 100-130 range in hot 90+ summer days. I swapped to A2W hoping to remove things in front of the rad like the 12x31x3 intercooler core. I fussed with the A2W for a summer, had a 1000hp core, 3/4” lines, large fabbed heat exhchanger and a high end peirburg pump, 1 gallon reservoir in the Engine bay. IATs were hotter than the A2A and never got below 120 , usually 140 and once it was warm it never went back down. I went back to the A2A and IATs dropped again. A2A gets alittle heat spike when you boost it but a min or so driving and temps go back down. I run a glowshift intercooler gauge which tells me pre and post intercooler temps so I can see the temp drop over the intercooler. I also squirt a bit of 50/50 meth to help, my car is only street driven in hot weather and I drive it like I stole it when I’m in it. The only nice thing about the A2W is that temps didn’t rise when boost hit... it just gradually heated up as I drove it.

If your drag racing he car then an A2W will work better with Ice for the 1 min you need it to. For the street A2A. A lot of the Ford 302 guys and the New vettes have to upgrade there intercooler stuff bc of high IATs.

Now I run the same A2A but I’m turbo and no complaints, logs show 100-118* IAT temps in boost without the 50/50 activated yet.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by gtistile

To my knowledge, these have never been tested. The builder of them made one for a LSA blower and it was a huge failure. It hadnt been fitted, or tested. It didnt fit and it ran way hot and lost a ton of power from additional airflow issues
Considering the prototype in the picture is sitting on my desk, I can say with confidence exactly none of that is true as it has need been mounted to anything. It was intended to be ran on a LSA replacing the SC with a turbo setup but the plan changed

Laminova cores have been used extensively in other markets with nothing but success. The cores are more expensive than traditional bar/plate and there is a bit of machine work required to build an intercooler with them. This one is 100% billet everything so obviously it will be really costly to produce. Most home brew intercoolers are flat plate with crude holes cut in them. The sleeves, raw tubing with slots crudely cut. The end caps have to be precisely machined, but the main assembly is often just cobbled together. It doesnt have to be perfect

Heres a TT LS1 with a 12 core home fab. IIRC, he used a hole saw to punch the ends, then a drill and jigsaw for the tube slots

Quick Reply: Laminova intercoolers?