Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Laminova intercoolers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Laminova intercoolers?

Has anyone used Laminova intercoolers? They look like they will do a good job in compact spots, and might even cool better than the traditional air/air setup that most guys run. Laminova.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

apparently Gm is...

http://di.se/Nyheter/?O=Index&page=%...%26pressCp%3d2

I always thought it was better to run air to air...
Old 08-02-2006, 06:01 PM
12 Second Club

my redline had the laminova core's in the a/w ic.....they are very good from what i hear about them....no real tests as far as compaired against other types
Old 08-02-2006, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

"There are three new models from GM that will be introduced... the
third model is the top of the line Supercharged V8 Northstar engine.

Hmmm... Anyone with a Caddy have this setup?
Old 08-03-2006, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

We have used them. We integrated a few of them into the Antonov Mustang intake we built. The intake also had a Rotrex blower integrated. They are very efficient. More info can be found here:

http://www.opcon.se/index.asp?sPage=1&langID=2&cID=15
Old 08-03-2006, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Yes, I already saw that link. Can you provide any more pictures of the setup you built? How did you go about doing it? How more efficient are they than A/A? What's the cost? Do they use the same cooling system as the engine (that would be good or bad, depending on the temperature)? Lots of questions here. Reason is because I'm short on space for an intercooler, and I would like to have one that'll allow me to drive a 500-550rwhp FI setup in 100 degree weather.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

World patent huh? Weird. That looks exactly like the oil cooler core used by Aeroquip for their oil coolers that were recently discontinued.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

The first image shows a graphic of how the intercoolers were integrated into the intake:

The next two images are the completed intake:

Old 08-04-2006, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by super_kev
How more efficient are they than A/A? What's the cost? Do they use the same cooling system as the engine (that would be good or bad, depending on the temperature)? Lots of questions here. Reason is because I'm short on space for an intercooler, and I would like to have one that'll allow me to drive a 500-550rwhp FI setup in 100 degree weather.

I would like an answer on this aswell. how long before whatever liquid overheats? is it good for a daily driver? long trips 300 miles+?
Old 08-04-2006, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Well, I did some reading up on A/W setups, and I see that most A/W guys are running 5 gal tanks. I could only run around a 1 gal holding tank, and a 12-14" heat exchanger w/fan (or maybe a rectangular '03-04 Cobra-type unit). A smaller tank (1 gal) should be able to cool down faster than the larger tanks for the drag cars, so I wouldn't think that would be an issue. I wouldn't mind going with a standard A/A, but my problem is that 3rd gen birds have less room in the nose than 4th gen birds, and also don't have any areas that can be cut out to provide more airflow.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Our Rotrex systems typically use an external heat exchanger and a resevoir that holds maybe 1 gallon. Not sure exactly what was used for this build.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniRex
I would like an answer on this aswell. how long before whatever liquid overheats? is it good for a daily driver? long trips 300 miles+?
Your air intake temperatures will NEVER be less than ambient unless you put ice in a liquid to air intercooler. With the Laminova cores you have to use a small heat exchanger (little radiator) in the front of the car and a pump to circulate the water. The advantage of the Lamonova cores is that they are more efficient at removing heat from the air intake charge than a conventional air to air or other air to water intercoolers. In order for the cores not to get heat soaked there are a few things to keep in mind. The "standard" size core is about 15 inches long and I believe 29mm in diameter. Each one of those cores will support about 150 flywheel HP. So if you are going for huge power you will need lots of cores or longer cores or both. The 5 cores that W2W built into the Mustang intake will support about 750 flywheel HP. The other thing of course is to make sure that the heat exchanger is big enough to cool the water. The OEMs like the cores because they package very nicely into intake manifolds where a roots style supercharger is used, such as the STS-V and the Cobalt SS.

Andrew
Old 08-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

I was intrigued with Laminova as a possible application on a Magnuson/CTS-V. As you know Cadillac uses Laminova on its Eaton-supercharged two seater, and I thought it would be a natural on a Maggie.
Wrote Maggie asking if they were considering the Laminova. Reply was that they had tested it and found it not worth while to produce. Wonder if they were blowing smoke?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by Rey Kirkman
I was intrigued with Laminova as a possible application on a Magnuson/CTS-V. As you know Cadillac uses Laminova on its Eaton-supercharged two seater, and I thought it would be a natural on a Maggie.
Wrote Maggie asking if they were considering the Laminova. Reply was that they had tested it and found it not worth while to produce. Wonder if they were blowing smoke?
I am sure Magnacharger was not blowing smoke when they said "not worthwhile to produce". That can mean any number of things such as, it was not cost effective, there were packaging constraints, they did not want to change the design they already had, etc... Just because a company does not make something, doesn't mean that it does not have a potential of working well.

Andrew
Old 10-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Default rotrex/antonov

I am wondering if the rotrex/antonov 2 speed supercharger is demonstrated at the SEMA.

I saw an article on the internet about a project from w2w to build this supercharger in a Hummer H3 and a chevy colorado.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Mustang will be at SEMA with the Antonov 2 speed Rotrex sc, cooled by Laminova cores.
It will be used for driving demo's.

Kurt
Old 10-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Thanks Kurt,

Do you also know anything about the hummer and chevy project?
I saw on a forum about antonov that w2w was working on a supercharger for the hummer H3 and the chevy colorado.

Have an nice weekend.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The H3 will be in our booth with the Antonov unit in place. We have a Canyon test truck here in Michigan, but it is not going to SEMA.

Kurt
Old 10-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Hi, To all of this topic:

I have read your postings. To some of you I have spoken before by mail in may this year. I am the owner of the Dutch Antonov discussion forum: http://www.AntonovForum.com. And the http://www.antonov-clubsite.nl

Who can give me an update and all the latest information about the latest developments from the cars with the the combine Rotrex/Antonov supercharger with the AMM 2-speed set up module.

Also I prefer pictures (when posible) about the latest changes about the combine Rotrex/Antonov supercharger with the AMM 2-speed set up module for the Ford Mustang.

Also some pictures and more from the Hummer H3 with the combine Rotrex/Antonov supercharger with the AMM 2-speed set up module and the Chevy Colorado.

Hope to hear from you soon You can sent them of info to: info@antonov-clubsite.nl

Best Regards and Thanks

Ron

I have allready spoken with Brad But maybe you have some pictures of more some more information to me.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Default AR500 Ford Mustang GT

I was wondering if somebody can give me information about the testdrive with the rotrex/antonov supercharger in a mustang.

"The performance enhancing characteristics of Antonov’s 2-speed drive system will be dramatically verified at the show’s proving grounds through its AR500 Ford Mustang GT demonstrator on the afternoon of Thursday 2 November. Road test editors and automotive journalists are being invited to take a ride with SCCA national road racing licence holder Gautam Pathak, who will put the high performance rear wheel drive car through its paces"

Quick Reply: Laminova intercoolers?