Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

The 9 Second STS build...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006 | 09:30 PM
12 Second Club
20 Year Member

Sounds like it huh? Talk is too cheap...
Old 06-23-2006 | 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

doing fuel, do it big and do it once.

ever heard of fastlane motorsports? Caleb the co-owner of the shop has a 331cu stoker motor with a 88mm?? turbo and he put down 10xx and greater TQ
i forget his exact setup but i think he went with 160lb injectors(that may be WAY on the safe side..but he is currently topping 1200HP)
they are on the forums www.horsepowerjunkies.com
Old 06-23-2006 | 10:50 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
doing fuel, do it big and do it once.

ever heard of fastlane motorsports? Caleb the co-owner of the shop has a 331cu stoker motor with a 88mm?? turbo and he put down 10xx and greater TQ
i forget his exact setup but i think he went with 160lb injectors(that may be WAY on the safe side..but he is currently topping 1200HP)
they are on the forums www.horsepowerjunkies.com

Is this a rear mount turbo'd 331?
Old 06-23-2006 | 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

Plus, when your spending that kind of money why skimp on the turbo setup?

I think most of us will agree that rear mount vs front mount is just a matter of cost. We are talking about big forged motors on full race setups. Consider that my front mount custom made tubular mild steel headers cost about $1k materials and tig welding. I would not have saved much had I rear mounted my turbos considering the costs involved with scavange pumps and stuff.
Old 06-23-2006 | 11:42 PM
12 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Boostaholic
Plus, when your spending that kind of money why skimp on the turbo setup?

I think most of us will agree that rear mount vs front mount is just a matter of cost. We are talking about big forged motors on full race setups. Consider that my front mount custom made tubular mild steel headers cost about $1k materials and tig welding. I would not have saved much had I rear mounted my turbos considering the costs involved with scavange pumps and stuff.
Exactly, I love my rear mount but would rather have the front mount now. The slight lag is irritating to me... probably wouldn't bother me if I was a stock STS user, but the bigger turbo makes a huge difference. =) For a race motor, don't waste your time on an *** mount.
Old 06-24-2006 | 12:17 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Honestly I think a rear mount favors a race car more then a street car. There are a lot of ways of getting boost up at the starting line, takes a few seconds and might not be the greatest for a quick staging heads up pro tree race but if you have the time you can get the boost up and keep it up. The motor doesnt know if the boost is coming from the front or rear .

Also you get to move all the heat out of the engine compartment and the front of the motor is wide open for maintenaince, not to mention putting most of the weight in the rear. Put a big A2W on the pass compartment and you have around the same amount of tubing on cold side as a front mount. The scavenge pump needs to be there but thats not a big deal on a race car, if you have a dry sump use one of the stages to scavenge it.

Only benefit it has on a street car is ease of instalation and cost of a basic system IMO. Remember if everyone had the same setup it would be a little boring, even if its not the 'best' doesnt mean it cant work well.

Last edited by kp; 06-24-2006 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-24-2006 | 12:23 AM
12 Second Club
20 Year Member

You're right... I shouldn't complain. =) My combo wasn't set up for a turbo anyway, that hot cam didn't work worth a damn, and neither did the 4.10's with the 6 speed. We'll just work on 1 thing a time, right now is getting a new motor put together...
Old 06-24-2006 | 12:27 AM
Launching!

I have been involved with three race car teams as a partner and have had many fast cars. But O.k..

Paul Majors car is the fastest IRS C5 is the country running a 10.5 tire.
His current best last season is 8.73 at 158 is full weight car. Again IRS. His motor would probably run about 45-50k. 427 with C5R heads that flow over 400 on the intank. Jesels, titanium valves, etc. Crank driven ignition, dry sump, Moroso Evac, stand alone, etc... On his fourth or fifth revision of coated Hogan manifold with 1,500 cfm TB. etc, etc., etc. Again he dumped the 500 hard lined progressive direct port shot of nitrous, went with a rear mount and is making more power.

So I would not agree as far as cost. I know what these guys spend. The guys showing up to track at this meet and were running eights and low nines back to back LAST season. They are spending about 30k a season just on maintenance alone. Again, you can call them. When they run the track, I will post the times whether front mount TT, front mount T, Rear mount T, Rear Mount TT, F2, Novi or Nitrous.

Again, pick your poison.
It should be very interesting this season as everyone has really upped the power levels.
Old 06-24-2006 | 12:34 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Harlan ran 8.2x @ 17x like 3 years ago with a twin turbo 346, couple street driven turbo cars here have run 8.50-8.80s, quite a few in the 9s. Wormboy has been 7s with single turbo stock suspension camaro, Turley was running low 8s with a big single and I can guarantee he didnt spend 30K a year to run the car.

Whats your point exactly, we can read about corvettes on corvetteforum and most of those guys post here also. Cartek is building a big single front mount for Big Mike here as well - who ran 9.40 like 5 years ago with a 346/N20..
Old 06-24-2006 | 12:35 AM
12 Second Club
20 Year Member

That is awesome. Only issue I see with the rear mount is the whole oil scavenging and coking deal. What is the real solution? People keep saying you can't run the stock pcv system, why can't you run it to the intake side of the compressor housing on the turbo? I kept getting oil in the top end somehow, and in the charge pipe (didn't restrict the line down far enough? I was running an .050" restrictor). I don't want to get the new motor in and have it come apart because of the same problems. I'm runnin a mocal on my kit. I was real happy with the performance on my NA motor with the turbo installed.
Old 06-24-2006 | 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

There is no way you can argue that rear mount turbos are going to make more power, it just doesn't work that way. Unless you don't really understand how turbos work and post on Corvetteforum that is
Old 06-24-2006 | 12:54 AM
Launching!

Kp, not everyone is as informed as you.
Yes, I am aware of the fast f-body's.
In fact, I think Cartek is putting really fast one together now for Brent EB.
My point is sharing information about any good LS car.

What I find unfortunate, is that once most people have gone one way, they think all other setups are inferior. Almost to fanaticism. I really don't care how they are setup. In fact, I have friends that have just about every setup imaginable, so I find this strange.
Old 06-24-2006 | 01:20 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by BUYAMERICAN
Kp, not everyone is as informed as you.
Yes, I am aware of the fast f-body's.
In fact, I think Cartek is putting really fast one together now for Brent EB.
My point is sharing information about any good LS car.

What I find unfortunate, is that once most people have gone one way, they think all other setups are inferior. Almost to fanaticism. I really don't care how they are setup. In fact, I have friends that have just about every setup imaginable, so I find this strange.
I'm not that informed, just been around a while. I agree on keeping things diverse and FI overall is a pretty fanatical subject. When people invest a lot of money and time in a setup they want to think its the 'best' way to go and some get pretty passionate about it. The rear mount guys want to prove a point even more because people make fun of it. Proving points is what progresses things and its human nature to try to do what people say cant be done.

When I'm sitting at the bar and the guy next to me orders a Bud I dont turn and say, 'budweiser sucks, you should be drinking miller' even though I hate Bud. Let the man drink what he wants
Old 06-24-2006 | 01:22 AM
12 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by kp
When I'm sitting at the bar and the guy next to me orders a Bud I dont turn and say, 'budweiser sucks, you should be drinking miller' even though I hate Bud. Let the man drink what he wants
Nice quote my friend... Nice Quote, that's something to live by...
Old 06-24-2006 | 01:32 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67Firebird455
Nice quote my friend... Nice Quote, that's something to live by...
Just made it up lol, I took a lot of philosophy in colledge

BTW here is my secret new setup. Its called the TTT, that stands for tennessee transmission turbo. I managed to get a GT42-76 inside the OD geartrain of a 4L80, I'm using trans fluid to cool the turbo and there is a fan on the torque converter to blow air into the turbo and help it spool quicker. Once I get the ground clearance problem licked I'll be kickin some serious **** $&$%%&&*().*

*j/k, I just had to
Old 06-24-2006 | 01:34 AM
12 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by kp
Just made it up lol, I took a lot of philosophy in colledge

BTW here is my secret new setup. Its called the TTT, that stands for tennessee transmission turbo. I managed to get a GT42-76 inside the OD geartrain of a 4L80, I'm using trans fluid to cool the turbo and there is a fan on the torque converter to blow air into the turbo and help it spool quicker. Once I get the ground clearance problem licked I'll be kickin some serious **** $&$%%&&*().*

*j/k, I just had to
AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH that is EXCELLENT! I bet you could tell some n00b that and they'd believe you and think you were a genius. That is the perfect entertainment to give someone before they head to bed. LOL I'm still laughing.
Old 06-24-2006 | 04:56 AM
TECH Addict

well i think its a great project mate! good on you and dont worry about the haters, you allways get them! lol

have a lok here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1413757 Baldturbofreak talks about what he would do. also if you do a search on there there is a C4 running a rearmount. cant remember the details sorry.

right back to the project, first off, get EVERYTHING coated (inside and out) and wrap aswell! this should help spool the turbo quicker. also what manifolds are you going to be using??? as you have talked about on other threads, cast would be the best for heat ratension, but will they flow enough??

for the turbo id would go for the GT42R if i had a choice, but it might not fit! the GT series of turbo is much better than the older stuff and spools faster! also BB makes a BIG diffrence! just ask the import guys! AR's are going to be criticle and might be trial and error slightly. you dont want to choke the turbo at the topend but you want good spool up.

back to the C4 project, i think they had to block off one side of the hot side inlet to get the thing to spool!

also id look into anti-lag aswell as the 2step. anti-lag should help to keeep the trubo hot and spooling. also might want to go really rdicall and vent the blow off valve into the exhaust to help spoll the trubo. oh and it will make the anti-lag VERY effective!!

finally, is there any reason to stick with a big single??? why not go for smaller twin and get some turbos with VNT?? that sould reduce lag and let you run bigger housings to reduce choke, if you can get them!!!!! lol

some things to think about

thanks Chris.
Old 06-24-2006 | 05:04 AM
TECH Addict

PS. might be worht looking into compresion ratio to! the higher the better for spool. but means you can't run more boost! whats the highest comp. the big hp superchager guys are running??? i know rally guys are running over 10.5-1 and running BIG boost (well over 30psi) so it can be done!

thanks Chris
Old 06-24-2006 | 08:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CAT3
Is this a rear mount turbo'd 331?
no, if it was he would be making some damn books. download the video of the fastlane promo off of the video section or do a search for it on the horsepowerjunkies forum
Old 06-24-2006 | 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BUYAMERICAN
You are uninformed so I would not prematurely draw conclusions. Most of these cars have been on track for last few years.

Cartek; Paul Z.(front mount(1,150 rwhp)) & Mike (single STS rear mount, now 900+ rhwp) will race against them.

Brent (runs with Cartek) also to my understanding is putting together a 7 second ride.

Two guys who have had work done by Vette Doctors (Paul and Bill)
Paul was well into the eights on his previous setup. Right behind Paul.
That setup looks really mean. Both setups are rear mounts. 427/402

Silas, who is getting his car done at ECS. 427 STS TT
ECS also has two (402/427(1200rwhp) Novi/F2 cars that should both push eights (low nines now) as well as well another new Thumper front mount 427.

There are half dozen other rear mounts as well pushing the limits.

Don't bring a knife to straight line gun fight.
OMG.. this hilarious given the list of names you gave.

Quick Reply: The 9 Second STS build...