Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

anyone try this for a crankcase evac set up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006 | 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

if 1300hp supra guys are using it i would say it works. and parish arent you running cutouts or something? you make all of that power through a muffler? awesome if so. but in threory you could run a little can to collect the oil being pulled and have no smoke issues on a DD, at least i would think you could
Old 06-12-2006 | 10:01 PM
single digit dreamer

i had cut outs but now i am seting up twins and skiped the cut outs for now. the electric cut out sucked ***.
Old 06-12-2006 | 10:58 PM
Restricted User

I agree with KAOS. Run your hose from the valve cover, to a catchcan, to a hose connected to the check valve, and into the DP. That seems a better option once you get the backpressure vs. open DP worked out.

For those asking about pressurizing the crankcase, it cannot. The vacuum spike is placed into the exhaust with the open end facing downstream, this creates a vortex after the fitting, which pulls vacuum from the crankcase. If you install it with the opening facing the heads, then yes you would start having issues as it would try to push pressure into the case, another reason for the check valve. During no/low boost where vacuum is not great enough, the check valve leaves the passage closed, so your not pulling vacuum against the case, and reduces the oil consumption.

GL and be sure to let us know how it works out.

Charlie
Old 06-12-2006 | 11:15 PM
9 Second Club

I wonder if one fitting in the exhaust would work with both lines Y'd into it?
Old 06-13-2006 | 01:00 AM
Restricted User

If your using a large enough hose assembly and large enough fitting I imagine it would. I know the Edelbrock Vic Jr Race headers come with the evac fittings, 3/4" dia. pipe cut angled on the end, didnt have the additional notch that Parish posted though.
Old 06-13-2006 | 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

i figured going through my muffler this was not a good option for me, but good if someone doesn't mind some oil haze out of your open downpipe
Old 06-13-2006 | 10:08 AM
SSU Moderator

Would you get the oil in the exhaust if you ran a can in-line from the VC to that valve/fitting in the exhaust?
Old 06-13-2006 | 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RyanJ
Would you get the oil in the exhaust if you ran a can in-line from the VC to that valve/fitting in the exhaust?
I don't think you would maybe a little depending how good the catch can is
Old 06-13-2006 | 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by parish8
i had cut outs but now i am seting up twins and skiped the cut outs for now. the electric cut out sucked ***.
what was wrong with the cutouts? i wouldnt own a car with out one, i love'm. they are a little leaky but it beats teh heck out of crawing under the car. keep us updated on this i may give it a wirl if it works for ya.
Old 06-13-2006 | 09:36 PM
single digit dreamer

the leaks botherd the hell out of me. pht pht pht pht pht pht.

the cut out would seal for a couple of days and then start leaking(not staying closed all the way). i sent the motor in more than once and also took them apart a few times on my own to tighten the screws and locktite. i would rather crawl under the truck than listen to an exhaust leak.
Old 07-06-2006 | 11:05 PM
single digit dreamer

got it fired up in the garage today. things are coming along with the twins. below is a pic of one of those crank case evac tubes that i welded into one of my down pipes. there is a prety strong vacume on it at idle. i put a gauge on it and am seeing 2-3in and that is with the exhaust going thru a muffler. i have some stuff to finish up on the truck so it will be a couple of weeks before i can really post up on how well it works but i would say seeing that much vacume at idle is a really good sign.

Old 07-07-2006 | 01:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by parish8
got it fired up in the garage today. things are coming along with the twins. below is a pic of one of those crank case evac tubes that i welded into one of my down pipes. there is a prety strong vacume on it at idle. i put a gauge on it and am seeing 2-3in and that is with the exhaust going thru a muffler. i have some stuff to finish up on the truck so it will be a couple of weeks before i can really post up on how well it works but i would say seeing that much vacume at idle is a really good sign.

that's pretty good news
Old 07-07-2006 | 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

wats the purpose of this?is this only for high hp cars?
Old 07-07-2006 | 12:22 PM
Restricted User

Parish, you will be running a catchcan inline on the way to the DP fitting right? So far sounds good. Keep this post updated please. Thanks.

Charlie
Old 07-07-2006 | 01:14 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by CAT3
Parish, you will be running a catchcan inline on the way to the DP fitting right? So far sounds good. Keep this post updated please. Thanks.

Charlie
i dont plan on it unless there is oil driping out of my tail pipe. we will see soon
Old 07-17-2006 | 05:29 PM
single digit dreamer

i cut and paste this from another thread.

its got about 200miles on it allready and i found my first problem. i am not 100% sure i have this right but i think i do. today i got on it a little from a light. maybe 5psi. i pulled into a parking lot right after that and there was a **** load of oil pooring out of the tq converter area. i looked at the oil lines and all other posiable sources and it is definately coming from the tq converter area. not sure what happened i goto lunch and when i come back i top off the oil(1quart) and fire it back up. no leaks at all..... the thing **** out a quart of oil past the rear main and then didn't leak at all after that?

i tried something with my crank case evac and i think it isn't good enough. i think i got crank case presure and it pushed the oil right out. here is a pic of the exhaust evac set up i have. there are no other vents.

there is strong vacume on this port at idle but i dont know how much when i get on it. i am going to leave this on and just put a filter/vent in someplace and see how that works.
Old 07-17-2006 | 06:00 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Us Buick guys could have told you that won't work. Theres no exhaust pulses to scavenge and create a draw. In theory, this only works on open header cars, but I have used it on a N/A mustang with very free flowing 3" duals and it worked. There will actually be some pressure in the downpipe, hence the reason running a larger DP yields more power.

What I have seen work well in turbo applications for PCV is using the turbo inlet(s) for a vacuum source, then running some sort of filter/catch can to keep oil out of the piping. We use clear hose to be able to see if any oil is seeping past. Edelbrock breathers packed with sponge works well, but you'd probably have to use a catch can on an LS1 system.
Old 07-17-2006 | 06:07 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by TS6
Us Buick guys could have told you that won't work. Theres no exhaust pulses to scavenge and create a draw. In theory, this only works on open header cars, but I have used it on a N/A mustang with very free flowing 3" duals and it worked. There will actually be some pressure in the downpipe, hence the reason running a larger DP yields more power.

What I have seen work well in turbo applications for PCV is using the turbo inlet(s) for a vacuum source, then running some sort of filter/catch can to keep oil out of the piping. We use clear hose to be able to see if any oil is seeping past. Edelbrock breathers packed with sponge works well, but you'd probably have to use a catch can on an LS1 system.
there are supra guys doing it with full exhaust so it works for some set ups. i am hopeing that there are just some brief times when it doesn't pull a vacume and i need a breather for that but for the most part it has a vacume and will pull the stinky vapors out and send them out the back of the truck.

i did what you described with the catch can and all and got way more oil into my intake track than i am comfortable with. i am not going to do that again.
Old 07-17-2006 | 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

im finding out info on setting up the ls1 to breath,and i know you need a catch can and check vavles and breathers thats about it havent seen this evac system yet
Old 07-23-2006 | 07:34 PM
single digit dreamer

got some good news. i am stupid, the oil leak was my fault, assembly error . i got that fixed and i put a breather in one of the valve covers just to be safe. after beating on it prety hard for quite awhile the filter in the valve cover breather is completely dry. so my set up consists of the exhaust fitting, a one way valve, a hose to the valve cover and in the over valve cover a breather. no mess under the hood. no smoke out the tail pipe, so far i am up to about 13psi. we will see what happens at higher boost . i might stick a vacume gauge on that hose just to see how much vacume it is pulling but it must be pulling something otherwise i think i would have some smokey/oily vapors coming out of that brether.

Quick Reply: anyone try this for a crankcase evac set up?