Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Install pic of threaded IAT sensor in EGR hole and 4" MAF.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onfire
It would work but not be optimal due to heat soak from the manifold. I'd want the IAT sensor close to the airfilter for NA.
Actually, soundengineer currently runs his in his intake manifold, and is having very good luck with it in his N/A application (details on the HPTuners Forum if you are interested). I will also be going this route, also N/A.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by obZidian
...about tht 4" maf, Is that a custom piece 'enfuego'?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 07-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by MiaSSmaro98
yeah how come u didnt go speed dens?
Too much time in this tune...idles smooth as stock...car will start just by turning the key....AF is stable....I've posted on EFILIVE for people to give me some good reasons to go through the hassle and time to change...I already own the SD license so it won't cost anymore...just don't want to do it just to do it.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Hmmmmmm...that's kinda cool...they actually list the proper table to use. I have a feeling you'll be maxing out even that MAF, though, simply due to the PCM's inability to read past the 511 g/s mark...
Old 07-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Actually, soundengineer currently runs his in his intake manifold, and is having very good luck with it in his N/A application (details on the HPTuners Forum if you are interested). I will also be going this route, also N/A.
No doubt it works...a turbo car is NA until the boost hits...and it works great driving around NA....but is it optimal....no....you're skewing the IAT data due to heat soak from the manifold....why do that unless you have a packaging issue?
Old 07-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

No doubt it works...a turbo car is NA until the boost hits...and it works great driving around NA....but is it optimal....no....you're skewing the IAT data due to heat soak from the manifold....why do that unless you have a packaging issue?
Actually, on later Operating Systems (my 2002 in particular), you have the option of using a Complex Cylinder Charge model, and you can set how it is biased. So far, it seems as if people are having good luck biasing the model directly in between the IAT and ECT...it seems to be more stable, although it requires different fueling values in the VE table. SD has some quirks to it, and running lean on warm restarts is one of them.

That, and some of us don't even run a lid on our cars
Old 07-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Oh...and I get plenty of heat soak sitting on top of my radiator...the IAT sensor just isn't in a good spot in the lid or MAF to get enough airflow to read the actual temp. Many of us sit there and watch our idle IAT at low airflows, and it adjusts very SLOW.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Hmmmmmm...that's kinda cool...they actually list the proper table to use. I have a feeling you'll be maxing out even that MAF, though, simply due to the PCM's inability to read past the 511 g/s mark...

How about 67lbs/min at 3200rpm

or 512g/s for the metric folks....

I use the maf for low speed stuff and it works well.

RPM vs PE over 3200rpm....and it works well for what it does.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

i saw u stated its a lpe but i cant find it on there site
Old 07-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Restricted User

Interesting placement for the IAT. As far as "wet" skewing, not really. There could be a minute temp difference, but nothing to be concerned about since the IAT vs. tables are not in 1* increments. In the lid does not seem to be optimal at all, shooting large dry shots of nitrous mine takes at least 12 frames or so (HPTuners), from activation to recognize the temp diff. which for large dry shots can be dangerous is tuned off the IAT vs. I wanted to swap to a new Z06 Maf with IAT integrated, but I dont want the hassle of dialing in a new MAF Table, and much like onfire, I am maxing mine out well before redline. So, this might be my new ticket to IAT vs. tuning once I swap to the 2002 OS and SD. Thanks for posting pics. Got anymore during install, showing the hole etc?

Charlie
Old 07-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by CAT3
Interesting placement for the IAT. As far as "wet" skewing, not really. There could be a minute temp difference, but nothing to be concerned about since the IAT vs. tables are not in 1* increments. In the lid does not seem to be optimal at all, shooting large dry shots of nitrous mine takes at least 12 frames or so (HPTuners), from activation to recognize the temp diff. which for large dry shots can be dangerous is tuned off the IAT vs. I wanted to swap to a new Z06 Maf with IAT integrated, but I dont want the hassle of dialing in a new MAF Table, and much like onfire, I am maxing mine out well before redline. So, this might be my new ticket to IAT vs. tuning once I swap to the 2002 OS and SD. Thanks for posting pics. Got anymore during install, showing the hole etc?

Charlie
Sorry man, no other pics....it's real easy though as the plug comes predrilled for a map sensor..just have to put it in a drill press and drill it for a 3/8 18npt tap...just make sure to located the drill bit so you don't cut through the oring seal...then just tap it for threads...real easy since it's aluminum...cuts easy...
Old 07-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by MiaSSmaro98
i saw u stated its a lpe but i cant find it on there site

It's not a shelf item....just give Ed Potter a call...you don't need it unless your turbo(s) are hung below the oil pan.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

well my turbo will be.i was going with an electric pump but this looks cool,how much was it?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Thanks 4 the info guys.

Onfire... Do you know if I could drill n tap a 2003 LQ4 intake and install IAT sensor there.
If so should the hole be drilled n tapped right behind the throttle body?

I'm trying to get my alky kit going on my Turbo Sierra Denali QS. This thread has helped so far...
Old 12-01-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this thread is as old as dirt, but good info none the less
Old 12-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Banned

meth nozzles and ait sensor relocated.

i'm running the same basic style.
tune comming soon...
Old 12-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Nice TA Matt.

Thanks, GT67METHV!. Nice setup, I like the ease of putting the Meth sprayer and the IAT sensor in the fitting before the throttle body... I'd rather do it that way... prevents drilling holes in expensive parts & saves headaches.

Much appreciated buddy.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Restricted User

OK what are all the parts needed to instal a threaded IAT in a LS6 intake?

what phone #'s and contacts will i need to get it done, also can this be done with the intake on the motor,

the e-bay link for the mass air is not working anymore, i was just going to use a SLP/LS1 85mm 01-02 f-body mass air sensor . Are these 4"
thanks for your help
Old 08-18-2009, 05:22 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Holy old thread batman!!!

I tapped my LS6 intake hole from where I removed the nipple coming out for what was the factory EVAP vacuum line.

I just drilled it a little smaller than the thread on the sensor, and then I used the sensor itself to tap the threads. Theres no need to worry about messin up the threads on the sensor because you are threading it into plastic.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:42 PM
Restricted User

OK nice! But where is your factory EVAP vacuum line purging to now ? and does that line purge all the time, i think the factory EVAP vacuum line has a solinoid in it , is it only a start up thing ???

also what IAT sensor did you use,

I can defently see installing a IAT sensor where you did ChevyChad, because it is nice and thick there plenty of room to make threads, but on top of the intake you cant tap it from what i seen, its to thin.

Do you have any pictures with the IAT sensor installed ?

Please show

Quick Reply: Install pic of threaded IAT sensor in EGR hole and 4" MAF.