Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

need help with my alternator bracket

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help with my alternator bracket

so i bought a alternator relocation bracket from smokinHawk and it does not line up at all. do you guys have any ideas to make it work...or did i install it wrong?

i even had to take the plastic thing off the back just to make it fit.

check out the pics tell me what you think.
Attached Thumbnails need help with my alternator bracket-pully1.jpg   need help with my alternator bracket-pully2.jpg   need help with my alternator bracket-pully3.jpg   need help with my alternator bracket-pully4.jpg  
Old 07-10-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whoa man, something is seriously wrong there. I'll post a picture of mine tomorrow morning. Mine is a little misaligned too, but very minutely, I think it's what is causing my PS pulley to squeak and throw belts.

Edit - Today I used some washers here and there, no more squeak, no belt jumps yet

Last edited by WestSide; 07-11-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got one from fash00 on the board and it looks like the alternator should run off of a belt comming from my radiator. These things are preety cheaply made.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:55 AM
10 Second Club

I just tweaked the bracket forward a little and used a couple washers between the bracket and the alt. to fine tune it . Works great
Old 07-11-2006, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah im not hating but his thing is homemade i buying a kit my pts turbo which includes a 140 amp smaller alt with hardware and bracket for 430 dollars its alot but it looks awesome and lines up right
Old 07-11-2006, 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya somethings not quite right on that.
the tensioner, its hard to tell on the pics but is it on the lower most left hole and the nut Above the lower most right (then a bolt is on lower most right to the waterpump.
also there is the metal bar that goes on the tensioner to the alternator you dont have on.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MiaSSmaro98
i buying a kit my pts turbo which includes a 140 amp smaller alt with hardware and bracket for 430 dollars its alot but it looks awesome and lines up right
wierd, ive talked to two guys that had those and they had to buy ones like this cause the PTS one wouldnt work at all.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

tried to do my best with the pics

Pay no attention to the custom 5 rib belt
Old 07-11-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

why wont the pts work?
Old 07-11-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

supposably the PTS tensioner pushed the belt against its self (tensioner pushes instead of pulling.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive seen 3 cars with it and i havent heard about this w/e maybe i get urs but come on make it a lil nicer
Old 07-11-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

Hey there is nothing wrong with custom 5 rib belts! my car has one
Old 07-11-2006, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

smoking i never got the other bracket that you talk about, i have seen that piece in pics but i don't have that bracket. read your pm i just sent you i think i will have you overnight another one too me and i will send that one back.

after today that bracket will be the only piece that needs to be finished befor i can drive my car after the turbo install.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:46 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MiaSSmaro98
ive seen 3 cars with it and i havent heard about this w/e maybe i get urs but come on make it a lil nicer

There is DEFINITELY an issue with the PTS setup.... and the issue is......

It doesn't work. The shop that did mine fabbed up a new inside bracket fromt he one that comes with the kit. I can post pics tonight if anyone needs when I get home. I know of a couple of PTS guys that have seen MAJOR delays because of the arrangement. It's the biggest issue with the kit by far.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Mine took a little bending, and it works FINE. If it didn't work at all, I would've sent it back to PTS... I mean, I did send something else that didn't work. *shrugs*

SmokinHAWK
Please forgive this mini-hijack!

PLEASE, tell me how that prototype SPEC is working... It's a twin disk on the stock master/slave, right?
Old 07-11-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

I'm one of the guys with a non-functional PTK alternator relocation setup. As stated above, this rig was built with the tensioner pushing against the back of the belt... and mine actually pushed the belt right against itself... shred mania. Massaging, etc. has been used with success on other cars, at other shops... but mine just won't come together correctly.

I've been down for months waiting for some sort of fix. Smokin's bracket should be on the car today/tomorrow, we'll see how it works. Huge thanks go out to him for fabbing up a couple brackets REALLY quickly.

As for PTK, they are fabricating a new setup this week (so says Luke, the guy doing the work) and they will send this to me as well. This new setup will position the tensioner correctly, IMO, so that the tensioner pulley can be the normal ribbed type pushing the belt outward toward the passenger fender. Just like Smokin's...

So there you go.

MIA: hopefully PTK will have it sorted out by the time your kit ships. Their new setup will use the stock alternator, by the way.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Can I send in my alternator backet for a new one? I got it directly off of fash00 who bought it from you and never installed it. If you are making these to sale to people for profit, why should we have to use washers here and there, couldnt you spend the time to make them 100% dead on?
Old 07-11-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

chillin pts is making a new one to keep the stock alternator awesome
Old 07-11-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Can I send in my alternator backet for a new one? I got it directly off of fash00 who bought it from you and never installed it. If you are making these to sale to people for profit, why should we have to use washers here and there, couldnt you spend the time to make them 100% dead on?
Dude, as far as I know he doesn't even make 'em anymore; he did a couple for us as a big favor. If he wants to make a few he will, and he'll sell 'em for whatever he wants to charge. As for the fitment, this is custom fabbed stuff and not everybody has a CAD/CAM widget in their garage... so a washer here or there is what it might take to dial it in just right. I'm confused, since you bought the bracket second hand, why he should have any responsibility to take care of you on this.

So, respectfully, my point is that you might want to ask for help a little more nicely.

Oh, and as far as the PTS "new bracket", let's just all knock on wood that it fits correctly too.

Good luck to everyone,

Rich
Old 07-11-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RW99
Dude, as far as I know he doesn't even make 'em anymore; he did a couple for us as a big favor. If he wants to make a few he will, and he'll sell 'em for whatever he wants to charge. As for the fitment, this is custom fabbed stuff and not everybody has a CAD/CAM widget in their garage... so a washer here or there is what it might take to dial it in just right. I'm confused, since you bought the bracket second hand, why he should have any responsibility to take care of you on this.

So, respectfully, my point is that you might want to ask for help a little more nicely.

Oh, and as far as the PTS "new bracket", let's just all knock on wood that it fits correctly too.

Good luck to everyone,

Rich
Dont worry about me, I wasnt rude in asking for help with it.

Quick Reply: need help with my alternator bracket