Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

~LOW budget turbo build~

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 03:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by my01ws6
Im tired of people telling me the only way to do it is to buy a kit, everyone says custom kits wont work etc etc etc. These are usually coming from guys who have 0 experience with a homemade kit and who are rich and have money to blow. I on the other hand do not. Thats what my point was. The first thing i always hear is your gonna spend more than what a kit cost and to be honest i find that hard to believe.

PMed!!!
Its not possible. Sorry.

Turbo
WG
BOV
IC
guages
pillar
fans
Fuel pump
injectors
rails
fuel fittings/lines
oil lines
silicone
t clamps
catch can/PCV mods
maniflds
heads (or at least springs/pushrods)
down pipe/muffler
TUNE TUNE TUNE

Tranny upgrades
drive shaft
rear end upgrades
tires that will let you feel what you spent thousands on

just off the top of my head. Thank again budget man!
Old 09-13-2006, 04:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im tired of people telling me the only way to do it is to buy a kit, everyone says custom kits wont work etc etc etc. These are usually coming from guys who have 0 experience with a homemade kit and who are rich and have money to blow. I on the other hand do not. Thats what my point was. The first thing i always hear is your gonna spend more than what a kit cost and to be honest i find that hard to believe.

PMed!!!
prove them wrong!
Old 09-13-2006, 04:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by navymitch12
prove them wrong!
Thats my plan

Give me about 3 months.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:37 AM
TECH Addict

Thats my plan

Give me about 3 months.

okay so you say your gonna take 3 months and not spend over 3k. okay. cool. now is that just the turbo kit or does it include supporting mods like fuel and tunning etc.?
Old 09-13-2006, 05:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will get all this for under $3k depending on if i find good deals or not it could be ALOT less.

Turbo
All Fittings and clamps
Feed and Return lines
Piping
Waste Gate
boost guage
A/F guage
Boost Controller
Intercooler
I/C Piping
Pushrods
Valve springs
cam
Heads
42lb inj
fuel pump
clutch
tune

I think that is just about what every other kit comes with....except for the fact I get to choose all my own parts and its about half the price
Old 09-13-2006, 05:49 AM
TECH Addict

I will get all this for under $3k

Turbo
All Fittings and clamps
Feed and Return lines
Piping
Waste Gate
boost guage
A/F guage
Boost Controller
Intercooler
I/C Piping
Pushrods
Valve springs
cam
Heads
42lb inj
fuel pump
clutch
tune

I think that is just about what every other kit comes with....except for the fact I get to choose all my own parts
should be interesting. I guess you could do it. but I wouldn't skimp on the clutch though.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

i priced out a $600 clutch and about $100 for misc parts
Old 09-13-2006, 06:06 AM

I will get all this for under $3k depending on if i find good deals or not it could be ALOT less.

Turbo
All Fittings and clamps
Feed and Return lines
Piping
Waste Gate
boost guage
A/F guage
Boost Controller
Intercooler
I/C Piping
Pushrods
Valve springs
cam
Heads
42lb inj
fuel pump
clutch
tune

I think that is just about what every other kit comes with....except for the fact I get to choose all my own parts and its about half the price
LOL.. this will be good. Im going to bookmark this thread so I can bring it back to the top in 3 month
Old 09-13-2006, 06:11 AM
12 Second Club

watching this one for sure
Old 09-13-2006, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Has anyone here done a LOW budget turbo set up? If so how much did it cost?

If not how much do you think I could build one for, buying used, off of ebay, classifieds, doing most the work myself. etc etc etc

no such thing...

yeah you can save boat loads iif you got the skill to do it your self..but parts still cost what they do..do it right the first time...and you wont end up spending needless expenses in the long wrong fixing the cheep **** you bought
Old 09-13-2006, 08:18 AM
DSG
10 Second Club

The term low budget does not even come out of my mouth when it comes to building my turbo. I will spend as much money as needed to do it right the first time. My parts list is quickly approaching 20k....Ughhh
Old 09-13-2006, 08:21 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As already mentioned...the actual turbo kit part can be done on a semi budget...I have maybe $2500 in mine total including catback....will have to add it up to get a better estimate...it's the supporting mods listed above that send your "budget" through the roof. Cost goes up exponentially with power/ET.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

For super budget kit you could try the following:

6L manifolds - 50-100 bucks
turbo zone kit - 1500 on sale (includes crossover, downpipe, charge pipe to t-body and they'll plump it for alky
MPT70 - Probably find this for about 500 bucks. Otherwise you are looking at about a grand for a T67
wastegate
BOV
TR6 plugs
Fans (pusher) 250-500 easily
Alky control setup - ~500 bucks
HP Tuners or similar with wideband - ~700 bucks

You could probably tune it to run 4#'s without alky on stock injectors and use alky for supplemental fueling up to ~8#'s boost. Ideally injectors and a pump should be on the list too. That'll add about 700-1000 depending on what you go with.

In comparision a dry kit can be bought for $299 and ~$120 for a window switch. That with TR6 plugs and you'll make the same power

Old 09-13-2006, 08:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thread starter:

You have been PMing me for the last several days... 500-550rwhp will be much more affordable than the 800 you were PMing me about. The reason I gave you the high numbers is that I was in a similar position myself, but sooner or later you will have to break the bank if your target is greater than about 650rwhp. Somewhere around that number is where **** gets expensive.

The thread starter was mentioning a shop that was doing the work for him, so budget is gone right there. Rice Etr, that $2500 you spent is sourcing everything yourself, doing all of the hot-side welding as well... I know that 76GTS is around $1800 give or take by itself... I do not believe any shop would do that type of work for him for anywhere close to what you have in it. Did that $2500 include your bare minimum of supporting bits like boost guage, fuel pressure guage, and wideband with the guage pillar? Did it include the bigger injectors and aftermarket fuel pump?

It's just the ugly truth of FI; it's expensive. ...and enough with the "silver platter" bullshit, I have alot of money into my setup by I WORK A ******* LOT to pay for it. Ask ANYONE on here that actually knows me...
Old 09-13-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have know MANY MANY MANY MANY people who do these cheap build up and have 0 problems what so ever. I mean its basically the same conpept whether you buy TOP OF THE LINE PARTS or whether you buy cheap parts.
You should be talking to those MANY MANY MANY MANY people then, not coming here. I actually know a few people who have done this as well on older cars, none of them had 0 problems though. None of them took less than a couple years to finally get the car running well either. It IS an option, but it requires a LOT of your own time and effort. Piecemealing a system together like this is going to create a LOT of issues, plain and simple. Mating parts together, finding the room and clearances necessary to fit them in the engine bay (and there is very little space to work with in our engine bays). Diagnosing and eliminating all the little gremlins in the system, and they WILL be in there.

And if there is one thing that you should not even think of going budget with, it's the turbo itself. You get what you pay for, and buying a cheap turbo gets you just that, a cheap turbo. Do you really want to go cheap on something that's going to spin 70,000-90,000RPMs? That's a cheap ticket to an expensive engine rebuild there. Do it right, or do it over.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SuperZ
i think i have about 3500K in mine
3,500,000 is a lot for a turbo kit
Old 09-13-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think what Chrispy posted was about as budget as you can go.

I tried to go budget by purchasing a used kit. Got screwed on that and ended up spending about as much as the new one to fix/replace components. I thought I could have a good kit that would make 550 rwhp for about 4k$. Not so.

Are you planning to use a lot of that ss autochrome stuff? From others experience I woud not use any of their parts.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

A budget build can happen. But if you are already spending 2500-3000k wait another month or so, and buy something on the market that has been proven, on fittment, working, and looks. The amount of time figuring a project out is money.(like posted early). If your thinking a month to do a project like this, add a few more into the puzzle. Alot of time is just looking and figuring where to put stuff.
I have built budget kits, that cost me in parts under 2k. Now it also cost me 6 months of time, and really was not happy with it in the end.
and I already owned welding and cutting equipment.
It can do done but at what cost?
I hope your happy with the end results.
Latest build on my own so far 3k in parts and still buying strong.

Ricky
Old 09-13-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i built my setup on the cheap...BUT...i had most of the supporting mods and other stuff laying around already.

50 bucks for a set of gibson truck headers.
Cut up an old MAC header i had laying around
560 dollar turbo off of a greyhound bus.
used 46mm wastegate
ebay front mount.
50 dollar used vortech mondo bypass
and i built the kit using steel exhaust pipe.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Turbo Addict

Originally Posted by Frost
The thread starter was mentioning a shop that was doing the work for him, so budget is gone right there. Rice Etr, that $2500 you spent is sourcing everything yourself, doing all of the hot-side welding as well... I know that 76GTS is around $1800 give or take by itself... I do not believe any shop would do that type of work for him for anywhere close to what you have in it. Did that $2500 include your bare minimum of supporting bits like boost guage, fuel pressure guage, and wideband with the guage pillar? Did it include the bigger injectors and aftermarket fuel pump?
True...that's why i said the turbo kit itself....which is just the turbo, IC, WG, BOV, piping, clamps, hoses, fittings, etc. I cut the flanges here at work on our laser and also used our nice grade 8 hardware. The welder was given to me by a family member who passed. Everything else to support the kit is where I had to spend the money...gauges, WB, allky kit, injectors, fuel pump, tuning, rearend, cage, subframes, etc.
Of course i am not factoring the week it took me to build it and the time to source the parts.

FWIW...I got my turbo for a steal....I paid just under a grand for it new from the 3rd owner.

Quick Reply: ~LOW budget turbo build~