Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

~LOW budget turbo build~

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of people say that because they have been there and done it.

Stay away from Cheap Turbo parts on Ebay.... your asking 4 trouble. The FMIC is fine but all the piping, couplers and T-Bolts arent cheap..... then the welding and flanges. Exahaust piping for the DP. WG, BOV... it adds up fast... if i wasnt at work id make a list 4 ya........ ive doen it before...... ill search now.

Kyle
Old 09-13-2006, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm sure its been said already but there is no such thing as "budget" and forced induction. do it right or dont do it at all.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

i know its not an ls1 but for my lt1 i got a deal from OFI for a donor car so i have a complete custom turbo setup for 2g's then im about to spend $1000 together on LCA's panhard bar, torque arm and q1a springs/shocks. $1200 on forged 383 rotating assembly. $700 on injectors, fuel pump. then should be about $2500 for ported heads either new or used and good turbo cam. ON all of this setup ive looked around for new and used gotten some deals and defeintly went with low costs and im still in for all together about 7k and im still missing a rear end and tranny so go figure that im a lt1 turbo and ur an ls1 add another 2g's at least for parts plus the tuning and labor for the turbo was already in the 2g's from OFI
Old 09-13-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

BTW in every thread i read the first post is always someone saying use the search button wtf is the point everytime, do people just look around to post that
Old 09-13-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've priced this out, doing all the welding/fabrication myself, and buying the turbo and related parts at mfr cost (or very close to it, through family contacts/sponsors); I can't get the numbers below 4000 dollars for the parts to do it correctly (these include pistons and other internal mods). I have grown up on VERY high output forced induction, and worked on blown vehicles my entire life, yet I'm building a 402/spray for my current toy; boost costs money, period.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Restricted User

Chrispy is correct with his estimate. You can do a decent kit on low boost for a decent amount of money. I PM'ed you a quick response. You can make 425-450 on 6psi with the right turbo and hit the 500 mark with a decent alky kit.

As stated, check our Eco-Street kit, this is a complete nut and bolt kit that includes oil feed lines and fittings, drain line and fittings, 16ga. tubing, 3/8" thick flanges, 02 bungs welded in, we EVEN provide another bung if you want to run a Wide-Band, T-bolt clamps, high end finest grade silicone that are hand-wrapped, four-ply, and reinforced.

You can find a decent used turbo, with a Garrett core (preferred), and even a used w/g and BOV. It's possible...you're going to spend a little money. HTH...
Old 09-13-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my first turbo back in 98 was for my lt1
i used the stock manifolds, flipped forward with mild steel plumbing
3 in. downpipe mild steel. holset h1e turbo
chopped and reconfigured supra cores for intercooler, fmu, cost less/about than 1500$
but then again i did all the work and i gots skills
so it can be done if u can weld and fab.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys all seem to leave out the cost of the fuel system..... injectors and pump at a minimum...
Old 09-13-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frost
You guys all seem to leave out the cost of the fuel system..... injectors and pump at a minimum...

Inejectors...... most waste there money and and buy 36#ers or 42#ers and then down the road later sell them for a loss and buy 60#ers or bigger..... then they do the same thing with a pump..... then add a aftermarket AFPR (Adjustabal Fuel Pressure regulator) and then use the old feed as th enew return and run -8an braided line.... then they need two pumps, and new fuel rails... and a Tune...... A fuel Pressure gauge should always be in there and so should a wide band like a LC-1 or LM-1.. they are a must have.

It adds up fast..... i know because ive done it..... that how i know to tell others not to do it...

Kyle
Old 09-13-2006, 03:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with most things, but the three rule of thumbs you don't skimp on is fuel system, the turbo and wastegate. The rest you can fudge with cheap parts. We see a ton of china junk turbos arriving here all the time, as well as frozen china wastegates unless they are both gone through and the problems from the manufacturing problems corrected, you will have a blown engine or smoky junk turbo for your coffe table.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

all Im looking for is 500rwhp for now, then after I build my motor i want around 600-650rwhp. Thats it on this car. I already have a 1/4 mile car sitting at my fathers. I just want a very fast and street worthy car.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like you have it all figured out . BTW its ''engine'' not '' motor '' that would make it electric.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MattZ28
3,500,000 is a lot for a turbo kit
Old 09-13-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Inejectors...... most waste there money and and buy 36#ers or 42#ers and then down the road later sell them for a loss and buy 60#ers or bigger..... then they do the same thing with a pump..... then add a aftermarket AFPR (Adjustabal Fuel Pressure regulator) and then use the old feed as th enew return and run -8an braided line.... then they need two pumps, and new fuel rails... and a Tune...... A fuel Pressure gauge should always be in there and so should a wide band like a LC-1 or LM-1.. they are a must have.

It adds up fast..... i know because ive done it..... that how i know to tell others not to do it...

Kyle
Hell, even the 60#-ers MIGHT have to be sold at a loss...

*cough* I mean, I've heard that could happen. *cough*
Old 09-13-2006, 05:19 PM
9 Second Club

I bought all parts new and I dunno how much power Im making but with my 50 shot I got a 800rwhp formula by a nose on the street
Old 09-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

It may be possible, couple of buddies and I turbocharged a jetta and only spent about $1300 and we did it in three days. Now keep in mind that it was an extremely budget job:

brand new T-3 (ebay)
used DSM bov (ebay)
mild steel mandril bends for boost tubes/exhaust (burns)
used cast exhaust man. (ebay)
used small bar and plate intercooler (ebay)
connectors/clamps (local store)
used VW computer chip for FI (VW forum)
used downpipe (VW forum)
everything else (junkyards)

now I know this isnt a jetta, but if you can be resourceful and patient, and you/buddies can weld. at least builing the kit seems possible for you price range.

also on my RX7 my friend and I built an alcohol/water injection set up for $85 using a nitrous jet/nossle, fuel line, and industrial chemical sprayer pump, and a NOS pressure activated switch.

good luck to you...and sorry about the length

-John
Old 09-13-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by my01ws6
why does everyone say that? Im tired of hearing that....

Has anyone had a bad experience with a cheap turbo set up when not abusing it??

I have know MANY MANY MANY MANY people who do these cheap build up and have 0 problems what so ever. I mean its basically the same conpept whether you buy TOP OF THE LINE PARTS or whether you buy cheap parts.

I dont understand why people always have to go bashing thos who are trying to save some money...not everyone is made of gold....there are people who actually have to work for a living, they dont get everything handed to them on a silver platter.
give me a ******* break. We all work hard for what we have, and I'm sure you're no exception. MANY people have done this before, do a search. as far as most turbo equipment goes, you get what you pay for. If you but a cheap ebay turbo, expect it to eventually fail. ebay intercoolers, on the other hand, have shown promising results.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

no no no you guys are misunderstanding me, what i mean is this....spend all your money on the parts that matter most....the TURBO, BOV, WASTEGATE, FUEL SYSTEM, does it matter all that much what kind of IC you use?? does it really matter if you use aluminum or steel piping?? thats what im trying to prove. Believe me when i say if i had the money to spend on a top of the line kit i would. But truthfully i would rather spend good money on forging the block and have a decent kit on it. I work very hard for my money and try to enjoy what lil i can afford after all my bills are paid.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

yes, you can do it...

is that what you want to hear? I understand your frustration, but most of these guys are realistically trying to help you out. I, personally think that you can do it, but I don't know nearly as much as these guys about the ls1. I trust their judgement, and I think that you should too. I don't think that they are being intentionally pessimistic. Still good luck to ya, I think you can get it done, it just might take some time/effort/research.

-John
Old 09-13-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

well said

Quick Reply: ~LOW budget turbo build~