Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PCV Turbo Venting!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 06:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by WicketMike
why not just block off the line from the intake and the throttlebody and just run a catch can from the lines from the valve covers without any check valves ?
if you happen to be referring to my solution, it is because your scheme above allows for only positive crankcase pressures all the time

mine give negative pressure at all throttle positions, which is better for the rings, emmissions, and oil contamination
Old 02-12-2007, 07:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,741 Likes on 1,300 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
there are 3 parts to my pcv system

line from intake to valve cover(or crankcase) w/ 1 way valve and oil separator
this is a vacuum source to pull air (and a slight vacuum) through the engine when out of boost, and seal when in boost

line from valley cover (or crank case)to in front of turbo/(sc)
this is a vacuum source to pull air through the engine when in boost (low presssure area btwn air filter and turbo/(sc)) and a fresh air source when out of boost (see above)

large home made 1 way valve on valvecover (or crank case)
this allows any positive pressure that may develop to escape quickly and easily
so youre saying have a line from the valve cover go straight to the intake with just a check valve,and have a line going from either valley cover or valve cover go to the inlet port on compressor side of the turbo?

and can you confirm the link i posted if those valves will work?
Old 02-12-2007, 12:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

I still dont believe that a factory PCV setup, or indeed a normal setup that does draw into the intake....actually draws sufficient air to pull a vacuum.

It may draw air through the crancase ( dont forget it normally has a vent, as well as the lines to the intake ), and I know virtually every car sold in the UK does so. But does it actually pull a vacuum in there ??

Ive never tested, but I dont think it does.

MM, have you ever actually tested for vacuum in your crankcase ?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ddnspider
so youre saying have a line from the valve cover go straight to the intake with just a check valve,and have a line going from either valley cover or valve cover go to the inlet port on compressor side of the turbo?

and can you confirm the link i posted if those valves will work?
your link doesnt work, and the valve needs to be like 3/8" ID etc. not a tiny vaccum line valve

your quote of what i said is true, but i reccomend an oil seperator btwn the intake and the valve cover to keep oil out of the air

stevie turbo, i am looking for keeping the crankcase pressure as low as possible, so any negative draw is an improvement.. i dont seal off the engine so it never does actually create a large vaccum.

i know it is pulling a decent vaccum because the second bird i killed with this stone was improving my turbo oil drain, which is rather low.

the oil would not drain properly just venting the crankcase to atmosphere.. but now pulling a slight vacuum on the crankcase the lower pressure helps scavenge the turbo and cleared up every hint of the oil smoke i used to get.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,741 Likes on 1,300 Posts

MM try this
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...uct%5Fid=15641
Old 02-12-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

the 3/8 one may work, dunno how much pressure it can hold... but mine is metal and got it from turbotech
Old 02-15-2007, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So for best results looks like a line needs to be ran to the inlet side of the turbo.. I have no issues with running a braided line all the way back to my sts turbo if this is for the best. Can I just run 2 lines into one off each side of the valve covers to my turbo in back... Then run two lines to a catch can w/ breather off the back sides of the valve covers ? Of course run a check valve to hold vacumm?

that way I would have negative pressure in the crank case all the time.. Also how much is too air to pull.. .I suppose under high boost I would be sucking way too much air out of the crank so I would need to keep a pcv valve in there and also a catch can to the turbo...

Anything wrong with this idea except people dont like running a line that lone? Also I see how this would help my oil pump issue.. Now I have pressure pushing against the turbo oil pump mand then I would have the pressure pulling the oil in as well as the sts oil pump...
Old 02-15-2007, 11:43 PM
11 Second Club

On second thought a check vavle on the backside to the catch can would be bad because there would be no fresh air coming in.. So I suppose I should leave those open to draw in fresh air. Also If Im pulling air from the inlet side of the turbo I should never be venting because its pulling the air out.

So really I need Just 2 lines coming off each side of the valve cover and a filter line for fresh air to one of the valve covers correct?
Old 02-17-2007, 08:58 AM
11 Second Club

Dont know if you can see this its so small but its the biggest I could upload here..

Anyway this is the setup I plan on going with.. Should it work fine.. Also I want to use braided line so for the check valve where can i get one that will work with NPT fittings?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
pcv21.bmp (92.0 KB, 332 views)
Old 02-17-2007, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

ttt...
Old 06-03-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump to the top. Interested in this. Tiger any bigger pics? From what i can tell where are all these lines coming from?

2002ws-6 how is your setup holding up? What kind of check valves? Any newer more detailed pics?

Could I do this (pulls vacuum from turbo):
Attached Thumbnails PCV Turbo Venting!-pcvplans.jpg   PCV Turbo Venting!-pcvplans.jpg  

Last edited by JAvenger007; 06-04-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

My system is holding up fine. My check valves are 3/8 in or 10mm. cause they are from audi 1.8t motors I know they can hold the boost and deal with the little bit of oil that goes through them. I'm also thinking of a way to use my a.i.r. pump to draw positive crankcase pressure while boosting. Anybody know how many psi the air pump can create. If its more than my boost pressure it should work! Ill see if I can take pic that shows everything and post it later
Old 06-04-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Any pics or part numbers for the Audi 1.8L check valves?
Old 06-04-2007, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

I wish I could figure out the PCV system. For all these threads there's not one consolidated right up w/ pictures. Even install university doesn't have too good of a write up.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by reocamaro
I wish I could figure out the PCV system. For all these threads there's not one consolidated right up w/ pictures. Even install university doesn't have too good of a write up.
Yea its quite a headache.

Quick Reply: PCV Turbo Venting!