Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is alky really worth it? Im getting mixed opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 11:29 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with the majority here, and I use it as a safegaurd. My car was tuned on straight pump gas, but I spray a very small amount of alky to help lower IAT's and give me a safety margin. I really don't *need* it, but its nice to know if I get a tank of gas thats slightly low on octane or something its there. Like Wahusker here, I spent a ton of $$$ on this setup, $500 more for a little insurance is worth it.

And for the guy with the "jewish" comment: Way to sound like ignorant white trash you stupid ****, I bet you are so proud of yourself. Moron.......
Old 10-23-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paspar2
Alky is the cheap fix for those to jewish to run race gas to be safe. Adding systems that can fail is just moronic. Make 5 less hp to the wheels and know all you have to do is put 91 in her and not worry about the bandaid failing you.

****... MEL GIBSON!!! I didn't know you posted on here!!![/QUOTE]

X2, lol.

This jew needs no Alky...
Old 10-23-2006, 03:46 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

I think the concern is that some folks act like meth is as good as running race gas, but I rarely see folks discuss which race they are talking about... big difference between 104 unleaded and say C16...
Old 10-23-2006, 05:25 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Also some of us aren't lucky enough to have race gas available in our area. The closest place to me is an 1/8 mile track 45 minutes away thats closed most of the time. Plus I ain't payin' $6 a gallon for gas.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Banned

Ok, alls I wanted to know is pretty much what TS6 said. I want to have the car tuned so that if I run it on 93octane on 10psi NO meth/alchy, it will be safe..and then just add the meth/alchy, NOT TO GAIN POWER but to safe guard. 550-600rw will be more than enough esp for a 6 speed and some 17x11's so gaining hp above those levels isnt important to me, I just want to OVER-DO the safty aspect. But like I said, I want it so if it were to fail..it wouldnt matter..it would still be safe..just be extra safe when it works right.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't need meth to enhance any safety window at 550-600 RWHP on a turbo 355 on pump gas. I've made 150 RWHP more than that on a little 331 through an automatic on 91 octane without any problems or thinking twice about safety, in your case alky is a waste of time IMO.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Banned

so your saying it wont help at all...
Old 10-24-2006, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

I think he is saying that on your setup which is relatively mild, you do not need it. However there is no denying that alky will add additional safety margin. Alky is also proven to allow for more power on a given setup (if you tune for it).

I wouldn't bother spending the money just to add a small touch of safety. You'd probably be better off spending the money on other go-fast parts. However if you start pushing your setup hard and want to take full advantage of alky's power increasing properties, then it is well worth the cash.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by paspar2
Alky is the cheap fix for those to jewish to run race gas to be safe. Adding systems that can fail is just moronic. Make 5 less hp to the wheels and know all you have to do is put 91 in her and not worry about the bandaid failing you.

****... MEL GIBSON!!! I didn't know you posted on here!!![/QUOTE]

+1 Alky working great for me.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Draco
I think he is saying that on your setup which is relatively mild, you do not need it. However there is no denying that alky will add additional safety margin. Alky is also proven to allow for more power on a given setup (if you tune for it).

I wouldn't bother spending the money just to add a small touch of safety. You'd probably be better off spending the money on other go-fast parts. However if you start pushing your setup hard and want to take full advantage of alky's power increasing properties, then it is well worth the cash.

You can never spend too much on safety. Even if it gives me a 5% increase in my safety margin, ill take it. What if the boost spikes? which I hear happens alot with turbos. Im using a stock PCM right now and it could potentially help. Like I said..ill spend the extra 400$ if it makes my car last that much longer, or save it if something stupid were to happen that woulda been prevented had I of had it. Then that 400 wouldnt look so bad,esp compared to a motor rebuild. So if its completely worthless then I wont get it. Plus for a street car, ive never heard of 600+hp being mild.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DSMs

EVOs

04 Cobras

Have great things to say about kits

Maybe the FBODY doesnt have a Qaulity kit like they do?
Old 10-25-2006, 08:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by slick1851
DSMs

EVOs

04 Cobras

Check out Julio's kit... he's not a sponsor so I can't link him, but his company Alkycontrol isn't too hard to find. VERY nice kit...
Old 10-26-2006, 11:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, it's a very nice kit and Julio does a great job supporting his customers.

Rick
Old 10-26-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is the kit i have as well. And TransAm6383, a forged turbo engine makin 600 rwhp is mild. Im not sayin u have a weak or bad or shitty setup. Just sayin that ur are FAR from the limit. Like nearly half lol. 800 ish on pump is what the norm is. And near on 1k for race gas. What size injectors do u have? Maybe i should ask what ur whole fuel system consists of? If u got 60#er's and something that flows liek twin intanks then u have enough fuel for ALOT more power. And turbos do spike but not like 10psi more then u want them to rin kinda spike. More like a few psi more.
I definatly think that u shoudl get a alky kit but i also hope u get 600 rwhp outta urt head and go for alot more. We cant have forged FI Fbods runnin around gettin beat up. GL man

John
Old 10-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Just had an Alky Control kit installed and haven't hit the track yet. But the seat of the pants dyno says hell ya.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

ZAngel has the FJO water injection kit, and this thing is over engineered big time... The pump is HUGE, and rated for 100% continuous duty with alcohol. The controller is fully epoxied for protection against the elements, and vibration. The nozzle is pretty cool, its a custom piece mounted to a solenoid (looks like a Peter Paul piece to me). Its an expensive kit, but I am not worried about a failure. The pump is literally 4-5 inches in diameter and 8 inches long, with heat sinks on it...
Old 10-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All i can say is look at the boost i can run with meth versus without.... maybe 5-6 psi safely on pump without?....and i am running 11psi consistantly....and have been as high as 13psi...all on 93 octane......the only thing that made this possible is the meth injection via my Snow kit...so i will just leave it at that.

Last edited by RICE ETR; 10-28-2006 at 04:16 AM.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I think the concern is that some folks act like meth is as good as running race gas, but I rarely see folks discuss which race they are talking about... big difference between 104 unleaded and say C16...
I think some folks dont discuss how they have their meth setups done. A hobbs switch hooked to a windshield washer motor makes a meth system. Does it make a good system.. no.. but non-the less a "meth system".

Poor planning/ poor system design leads to problems. If its treated like a fuel system, there never is an issue.

I have a bias, but not having spent thousands on race gas and O2 sensors.. has paid for new engine, tires, mods etc. If you drive to the track 3-4 times a month.. it adds up very quickly.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slick1851
DSMs

EVOs

04 Cobras

You forgot Grand Nationals and Corvette's

Quick Reply: Is alky really worth it? Im getting mixed opinions