Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

who makes the fastest spooling turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What makes these units claimed to be the fastest spooling different in design?

Sounds like the old "Voted worlds best tasting Cup of Coffee" syndrome.

Just need some links to some technical detail if you have them.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2Camaro
How does this compare to the new S91, is the S91 ready yet? Where do the S Series fit in as far as fastest spooling goes?
I don't know all the specifics yet. Alot of it is still in the R&D phase.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by chasgiv3
What makes these units claimed to be the fastest spooling different in design?

Sounds like the old "Voted worlds best tasting Cup of Coffee" syndrome.

Just need some links to some technical detail if you have them.
Lighter alloys, micro finish, new wheel designs....etc..etc. Much more then that.....
Old 11-30-2006, 06:12 PM
9 Second Club

Keep us posted.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2006, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Fastest spooling, most powerful unit will be the new Garrett 88DBB. Jose and Jason are working on getting some modded versions finished . No pricing is yet available, but they are going to be awesome units.
hummmm could make for a very nice BIG rear mount maybe???

Chris.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chuntington101
hummmm could make for a very nice BIG rear mount maybe???

Chris.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

It is a little odd to me that variable-vane turbos haven't reached the performance industry yet. At least not that I have seen. They have been out for a couple years now on the Duramax's and seem like a great idea to try and get more of the "best of both worlds" in a turbo. Super fast spool and high flow in one package? I guess maybe the production costs are too high on them? No one making them thinks there is a big enough market?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSblack98
It is a little odd to me that variable-vane turbos haven't reached the performance industry yet. At least not that I have seen. They have been out for a couple years now on the Duramax's and seem like a great idea to try and get more of the "best of both worlds" in a turbo. Super fast spool and high flow in one package? I guess maybe the production costs are too high on them? No one making them thinks there is a big enough market?
the problems are most are designed for diesels, and its difficult to try and controle the oil presure for the VNT. the first can be solved easily but the second is allways going to be a problem!

also on a gas engine where you have more heat in the exhaust gasses. these can cause inconsistant oil presures causing the vnt to be evem harder to set up.

but it will come in. ball bearings have, so it juts takes time!

orange 88, well as longranger is using a T88 rear mounted on his 408, this new one would be even more driveable/build more boost on the line!

thanks Chris.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

the problems are most are designed for diesels, and its difficult to try and controle the oil presure for the VNT. the first can be solved easily but the second is allways going to be a problem!

also on a gas engine where you have more heat in the exhaust gasses. these can cause inconsistant oil presures causing the vnt to be evem harder to set up.

but it will come in. ball bearings have, so it juts takes time!

orange 88, well as longranger is using a T88 rear mounted on his 408, this new one would be even more driveable/build more boost on the line!

thanks Chris.
Problem with VNT's at this point is A.) reliabilty B.)Most are now no longer oil controlled and are PCM controlled which makes it very difficult to adapt into custom apps and C.) They are typically all small turbos.

We get to rebuild quite a few VNT's from the Powerstrokes. They are pure junk. ALOT of them fail, cause the vanes with time tend to stick due to carbon. Only way to fix that is to remove the turbo and clean the back half. You can't expect customers to do that like a regular maintence item. Way to difficult and time consuming.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I can fit a bigger turbo in place of my 47-88, but there's no point since I have not come even close to maxing out my combo and I don't feel that my engine will like it and be a surge monster.

Did anyone ask you anything?? You like to hear yourself talk WAY too much ProStock
Old 12-02-2006, 04:43 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

Who are you again?
Old 12-04-2006, 06:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Problem with VNT's at this point is A.) reliabilty B.)Most are now no longer oil controlled and are PCM controlled which makes it very difficult to adapt into custom apps and C.) They are typically all small turbos.

We get to rebuild quite a few VNT's from the Powerstrokes. They are pure junk. ALOT of them fail, cause the vanes with time tend to stick due to carbon. Only way to fix that is to remove the turbo and clean the back half. You can't expect customers to do that like a regular maintence item. Way to difficult and time consuming.
i stand corrected then! lol

is there anyway to make them more reliable/easier to maintain?? do you think the Porsche units will suffer the same? do you have mayny from deisel cars, if any??

thanks CHris.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i stand corrected then! lol

is there anyway to make them more reliable/easier to maintain?? do you think the Porsche units will suffer the same? do you have mayny from deisel cars, if any??

thanks CHris.
The technology is the same for both the diesel and gas VNT's such as the Porsche units. They are making steps at making these units better, but still have a long way to go. Also none of the units currently are very large. You would need more then 2 of them to make some real power.

Quick Reply: who makes the fastest spooling turbos?