Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: If you want a 750+ hp car, what is your past experience?
I have never owned a car with more than 500 rwhp.
30.23%
I have owned a racecar with more than 500 rwhp before.
3.16%
I have owned a streetcar with more than 500 rwhp before.
63.76%
I am building the 750+ hp car for track use only.
2.86%
Voters: 665. You may not vote on this poll

How many 1000 hp dreamers have had over 500 rwhp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Import Patrol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove on the street for awhile with over 650rwhp. Def fun, but can get you into some sticky situations. I would not suggest that for someone to jump from 300rwhp to 750rwhp, without knowing what it is like in the middle.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by INTMD8
IMHO their is nothing wrong with 1000+hp on the street and can certainly be used with the right combination of parts.

If I understand your post though, I do agree that the people going from a stock car to 1000hp don't really know what their in for.

+1!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 67 had a single turbo SBC in it for years making a little over 600 at the wheels on 93 octane, and it was out of control. I admit that all the money I have poured into it since then (900 RWHP+ capable) is mostly for show and conversation, and I will more than likely drive it around with the wastegate wide open to keep it on the road.

Good thread topic, BTW. I've wondered the same thing myself, especially about the Pro Touring guys.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Veteran

i guess im one of a few that doesnt have so much a power goal but an ET goal. i know though, that its a little ways off before i get there. so because of that, i have baby goals, which every other NewB needs to to have. if the few newb's that do build their setups somehow, they are in a situation where that big powerr jump could quite possibly kill them simply because they have no clue what that much power will do. another problem is that some people see a hp number as just that, a number. they dont take into account money spent, physical drawbacks, and consquences of that power.
would i like 1000hp? well, if it got me to my goals then i dont really care. if i had 5-600 when i got to my goal i wouldnt care. these people see it as a way to get attention without really knowing what comes along with the actual event of that much power.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have my truck which has made 600 at the tire that now has about 54,000 miles on the turbo engine. I think the AWD is the key to it driving nice and easy. When I know my wife is going to drive it I clear the recall on the boost gage and it always comes back over 15psi!
The Nova I drive made 711 at the tire. In that config it went 9.25@149.
I have probably driven some close to 1000 rear wheel cars, but i'm not sure.

Kurt
Old 12-12-2006, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

went with a 500/600rw estup to a 750/800rw setup. plan on taking ithis car to 800rwhp then stopping. im going to say it was better for me to do teh 500rwhp first....bucause above 700 is alot to handle.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 427
When I know my wife is going to drive it I clear the recall on the boost gage and it always comes back over 15psi!

Kurt
LMAO, you have a cool *** wife.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:06 PM
9 Second Club

I have no clue what 1K Hp would feel like, maybe someday I'll know. Going from M6 cam only 373RWHP to M6 SC & cam 505RWHP was a big leap. The 1st few passes on the SC I was very tentative, took a couple visits to the track to get my courage up to really gouge on it. The only reason I want more power now is to cut better ETs & actually since I'm starting to understand tuning & have pretty good data logging the dyno doesn't mean nearly as much to me as it used to. The latest change is converting to a TH400 which I'm sure would yeild lower dyno numbers but I'm really not that concerned because the car was 4 tenths quicker 1st time at the track with the auto.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

500 range is good for the streets but still to much. When my car was making that I could roll in 3rd, hammer it, the *** would go all over the place. Scary **** when your rear breaks loose going 60mph.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the traffic here in Cincy it's kind of pointless having a high HP car. There is always a car in front of you everywhere unless you get up at 7:00 A.M. on a Sunday morning. The place where the car feels slow is in 3rd gear at the track, that's where I wish it pulled harder.
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HellRaiser
500 range is good for the streets but still to much. When my car was making that I could roll in 3rd, hammer it, the *** would go all over the place. Scary **** when your rear breaks loose going 60mph.
try it at 90+ in 4th

been there, done that.

From bone stock off the dealer floor with 11 miles on the ODO. 13's, then 11's, then 10.0's, then 8's. This POS is cradle to grave for me

anything over 700 is pretty much useless on a street car.
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
That is exactly the point. I get emails/PM's all the time from newbies asking how to make 1000 hp

This is a poll to see how many people truly understand what a 1000 hp car is all about. I've given a few dreamers rides in my various 500-600 rwhp street cars, and it scared the **** out of them. They had no clue what 500 rwhp feels like, much less 1000 hp. The difference between a 415 rwhp heads/cam car and a 500 rwhp stroker car are also MUCH different. That stroker car will feel much more crazy than a heads/cam car will, and we are only talking ~75 hp peak difference.

Too many dreamers get tied up in the numbers game, but don't fully understand what they are wanting to build. I always recommend building a 500 rwhp car first, then seeing if you actually want more than that. I've known several guys that had shops build them 600+ rwhp cars, but they are scared of their own cars and won't even floor them. That is just stupid!
This is exactly what got me hooked. I was happy with my bolt-on car. I have had a cam, springs etc.... laying around forever with no interest to install them as I hardly drive my car. It already has ported heads from the previous owner. My cousin recently bought a 623rwhp Whippled Cobra and one ride has me ordering a TNT F1 kit and installing my cam to feel that power on my own. After several rides and getting sideways in 3rd at 65mph I was like Get some.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have over 500rwhp on my car... and you have no idea how good those 315 nittos grip until you take them off.. its like ice skating...

500hp on the street is alot... it throws you in your seat and pulls.. especially on a turbo car...

I have no dreams of 1000hp or even close.. My max would be 650rwhp.. and I know how hard that would be to control... 1000hp is just dumb for a dd
Old 12-12-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Veteran

I've been observing FAR too many dyno-racing topics in this forum lately. So, I've created a little poll to see how legit some of you guys really are. I'm betting that the majority of guys wanting 750-1000 hp setups haven't even driven/owned a car that made over 500 rwhp.

I'm not talking about the drag car guys, mostly about the guys that want to build something with this power for the street, or even funnier, as their daily-driver. Some of them probably have no clue what a 500 rwhp street car feels like, much less 750+ rwhp. Anyone that has driven a 500 rwhp street car knows they are no joke, and have far more power than a street car can keep planted on the street. You can roast thru 3 gears on the street with a 500 rwhp car.

I'm curious about how many people throw out that 1000 hp figure just because it sounds cool, but don't realize what that might cost, or be like to drive on the street.

Tony
My car in the beginning was great and alot of fun, but it very quickly became exactly how you decribe 500 RWHP, A JOKE, but with a different meaning. I think its pathetic now and its just a 100% daily driven grocery getter. There are too many cars, 100% street cars that have well over 1,000 RWHP around here. They're everywhere.

Thats why, as you know, I want WAY more than 1,000 RWHP for the street. In 3 years from now 1,200 RWHP cars will be all over the place just like 800-1000 RWHP cars are now.

At least around south Florida 1,000 RWHP, STREET CARS, are a thing of the past, I guess maybe the rest of the country hasen't caught up yet.

500 RWHP is only something special to someone thats been driving a stock car around for a long time.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by y2khawk

anything over 700 is pretty much useless on a street car.
NO it isn't. Depends on the type of racing you do. Roll racing around here, 700 RWHP will hand you a loss every night you go out, and a HUGE embarrassing loss at that.

Now stomping the pedal from a dig....different story.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quickin
NO it isn't. Depends on the type of racing you do. Roll racing around here, 700 RWHP will hand you a loss every night you go out, and a HUGE embarrassing loss at that.

Now stomping the pedal from a dig....different story.

i was thinking the same thing. Here in Texas there's plenty of 900+ HP cars racing. My old motor was making 700+ and i had a hard time keeping up with the "elite"
Old 12-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Fullthrottledan1

Originally Posted by Ed @ Late Model Speed
I think there are a certain number of people out there that want 1000 RWHP but don't realize exactly what that is to drive. Those same people also seem unrealistic as to what a setup like that should cost.

Ed
Im one of those. I thought i was tough **** with my fox body sporting a forged 347 and a t70. In my head i was driving a 800hp street monster, but really it put down 550. I was alittle dissapointed to say the least, but still over 500. That car was really a turn key car, I checked the oil and fluids and drove the **** out of it.

Now that i have a stock daily driver, Ive taken my truck to another level. I broke the first motor at the 650rwhp mark (656), and now a built motor is in, awaiting dyno time. Truck is also a 6 speed with intentions not to daily drive it, but can do it if i wanted to. Either way im having a blast.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:28 PM
7 Second Club

Great topic and fun too....I agree 110%. Not that I'm against high horsepower street cars (see my sig), but my car is so radical it's not fun to drive all the time. I certainly can't stay hooked as you stated, although that does have a "cool factor" to it. Doing 50MPH burnouts impresses people, but ultimately you cannot feel the torque cause you break loose. My next street car will be a Vette with a few mods and a maggie, 450-500rwhp with DR's that rides smooth and somewhat quiet! Sounds like what you have minus a few ponies!

I've been observing FAR too many dyno-racing topics in this forum lately. So, I've created a little poll to see how legit some of you guys really are. I'm betting that the majority of guys wanting 750-1000 hp setups haven't even driven/owned a car that made over 500 rwhp.

I'm not talking about the drag car guys, mostly about the guys that want to build something with this power for the street, or even funnier, as their daily-driver. Some of them probably have no clue what a 500 rwhp street car feels like, much less 750+ rwhp. Anyone that has driven a 500 rwhp street car knows they are no joke, and have far more power than a street car can keep planted on the street. You can roast thru 3 gears on the street with a 500 rwhp car.

I'm curious about how many people throw out that 1000 hp figure just because it sounds cool, but don't realize what that might cost, or be like to drive on the street.

Tony
Old 12-12-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TINKRD
i was thinking the same thing. Here in Texas there's plenty of 900+ HP cars racing. My old motor was making 700+ and i had a hard time keeping up with the "elite"
Yup, its sick around here. I remember showing up to watch some racing one night, at least 200 cars showed up. Watched a car waste a 750 RWHP silver single turbo Supra, than watched a 1,100 RWHP TT Viper waste that car. Then a guy who nobody ever saw before shows up in an all-wheel drive black TT Porsche and his buddy's were in a Yukon to watch. It utterly destroyed the TT Viper from a dig, then from a roll. It looked like the Viper was in park.
Than on the way out I was just cruising along side the first 750 RWHP Supra, I was like lets run'em. Maybe from a 50 roll we both hit it and I jumped out about 2-3 cars and was like, WOW, then about 5-6 seconds later it came screaming by me like a friggin steam whistle.

You never know whats gonna pull up along side you down here There's so many people that own monster daily driven cars with well over 1,000 RWHP that its scary to race someone.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Quickin
Yup, its sick around here. I remember showing up to watch some racing one night, at least 200 cars showed up. Watched a car waste a 750 RWHP silver single turbo Supra, than watched a 1,100 RWHP TT Viper waste that car. Then a guy who nobody ever saw before shows up in an all-wheel drive black TT Porsche and his buddy's were in a Yukon to watch. It utterly destroyed the TT Viper from a dig, then from a roll. It looked like the Viper was in park.
Than on the way out I was just cruising along side the first 750 RWHP Supra, I was like lets run'em. Maybe from a 50 roll we both hit it and I jumped out about 2-3 cars and was like, WOW, then about 5-6 seconds later it came screaming by me like a friggin steam whistle.

You never know whats gonna pull up along side you down here There's so many people that own monster daily driven cars with well over 1,000 RWHP that its scary to race someone.

You are living in a different plant than us in Dallas. For such a wealthy city (income to cost of living ratio) there really arent that many uber fast cars running around. Yeah you see them, but for the most part, its the same cars over and over again in the videos and on message boards.

Quick Reply: How many 1000 hp dreamers have had over 500 rwhp?