Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: If you want a 750+ hp car, what is your past experience?
I have never owned a car with more than 500 rwhp.
30.23%
I have owned a racecar with more than 500 rwhp before.
3.16%
I have owned a streetcar with more than 500 rwhp before.
63.76%
I am building the 750+ hp car for track use only.
2.86%
Voters: 665. You may not vote on this poll

How many 1000 hp dreamers have had over 500 rwhp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 1000 rwhp car better be solidly in the mid upper 8's and you just don't see many street cars doing that. StreetFire aside 8 second real street cars are a rarity, so much so I just don't put much faith in dyno numbers upwards of a 1000, especially an inertia only dyno. It never seems to corelate to actual performance.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

That is fine, Houston is the same way. Several 1000+ hp street cars down here too. But, this thread isn't about justifying them, it is about seeing how many dreamers have no idea what is involved to build and drive a 1000hp car.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:56 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice this is my kind of thread. I drive the ***** outa my turd. This next fall ('07) I'll be building a retarded Warhawk based setup. We'll see what happens in this coming year with the amount of big dollar builds there will be. I'll go from there...

I'll be skipping 4/5/600RWHP completely. I'm not out to drag race. I'm building an uncontrollable street beast, that I can beat the **** out of on the weekends.

Probably a large framed turbo setup. Or I may ditch that effort completely and spring for a near 500ci spray setup, with an insane shot.... Going for big numbers while still NA, bigger of course with spray.

I understand the thread completely, and think it's about time... I don't bother reading the dreaming threads, ***** rediculous. Someone posts up they want 800hp and then fade away into the darkness. $$$$ Talks, BULLSHIT walks...

However I'm not a dreamer, and I have driven big HP rides. After all, it's only money. I'm still camping out at the rents house, so I have to do things like this now lol.

I've got nothing but the best on my car, and of course than trend will continue. Things just take longer when your as young as I am, trying to do as many things as I do. Those who know me, know I'm nowhere near the dreamer catagory...
Old 12-12-2006, 07:23 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

well im pretty sure my car was right under 500whp, i was spraying a 150 shot (rated at the wheels through a bolton car, so im sure i was right around the 480ish wheel hp.

i know 1000hp is out of my price range.

but over the winter i want to put a forged shortblock in, built for boost, just to get the car running, then through spring/summer get some money and go with a forced induction setup since i know i wont have all the money for everything at once
Old 12-12-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

<~~~1000 rwhp wannabe
Old 12-12-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by INTMD8
IMHO their is nothing wrong with 1000+hp on the street and can certainly be used with the right combination of parts.

If I understand your post though, I do agree that the people going from a stock car to 1000hp don't really know what their in for.
X2

I for one didnt realize the amount of power I was actually gonna have at hand...

Coming from 425rwhp to 830+ is a big step, but its mainly about learning how to control the power best you can, and dont get greedy.

Its definately a learning curve, but I felt comfortable after a couple weeks of getting on it to be able to know when to keep going and when to say "whoa there, I almost ****** hit a wall".
Old 12-12-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
You are living in a different plant than us in Dallas. For such a wealthy city (income to cost of living ratio) there really arent that many uber fast cars running around. Yeah you see them, but for the most part, its the same cars over and over again in the videos and on message boards.

very true, i'd say the same 10-12 cars over and over.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by andereck
A 1000 rwhp car better be solidly in the mid upper 8's and you just don't see many street cars doing that. StreetFire aside 8 second real street cars are a rarity, so much so I just don't put much faith in dyno numbers upwards of a 1000, especially an inertia only dyno. It never seems to corelate to actual performance.
99% of people who build amazingly high HP street cars do it for just that, the street. They have no interest in the drag strip. Yet, their cars will still go to a track a tear off a sloppy mid 10 or even a 9 second pass just goofing off. The AWD TT Porsche that runs around down here daily driving has gone mid 9's just the way it drives on the street and kills people from 50-200 mph roll races. Best of both worlds.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
I'll be skipping 4/5/600RWHP completely. I'm not out to drag race. I'm building an uncontrollable street beast, that I can beat the **** out of on the weekends.

Probably a large framed turbo setup. Or I may ditch that effort completely and spring for a near 500ci spray setup, with an insane shot.... Going for big numbers while still NA, bigger of course with spray.
in my opinion this thread is geared towards people like you

skipping 4/5/600 HP completely?

do you know what you're talking about? big framed turbo? 500ci spray setup??

my car has the best of the best blah blah.

Money doesnt always buy a good setup.

just by your post, i would say you have no idea what combonation of parts will efficiently make good power other then, "big turbo" or " big motor with lots of nitrous"

and after reading your "mod list" on yourwebsite i've confirmed my assumptions.

PLANNED
-LS1 Turbo motor setup - 6.0L Iron block, bored .30 over, 4" Eagle or Lunati crank, Carillo 6.125" rods with 285,000lb. Tensile Strength rod bolts, Diamond Flat top forged pistons, AFR 225cc heads, Hi-Flow Turbo kit. T88 turbo w/ 3" DP.

1. you dont want flat top pistons...
2. you dont want a 3in DP w/ a "big framed" T88 turbo...

not trying to **** you off, just my own opinion from reading your post.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:55 PM
9 Second Club

I Had a 2002 Camaro with a Vortech V9 G-trim with a custom front mount and 10lbs of boost. It made 510 RWHP and 475 RWTQ with a auto. It was fun to drive and was my daily driver to and from work with the street racing every weekend.This was in Atlanta traffic also.Shooting for 800RWHP in my new setup and a 2002 SS camaro.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
That is fine, Houston is the same way. Several 1000+ hp street cars down here too. But, this thread isn't about justifying them, it is about seeing how many dreamers have no idea what is involved to build and drive a 1000hp car.
I don't think anyone is going to post:

"I want a 1,000 RWHP car but I'm clueless how to do it and I want to learn how to drive one."

One phone call to a shop and they can tell you exactly how its done. Building it is another issue but thats what the shops are for.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lythropus
I'd love a 1000 horsepower car, my 99 TA had bolts-ons with 2 stages of nitrous. One dry stage, one wet, totaling 200 shot. Never had it dynoed though but should of been right at 500 horsepower. The 2 stages when properly set apart didn't break street tires loose. 650 or so horsepower wouldn't be bad at all on the street, 750 to 1000 would probably have a little learning curve depending on the power adder. It definitely wouldn't be possible to harness a 1000 horsepower nitrous car on the street but twin turbo/supercharged applications should be very drivable.
it may be drivable but thats when your not in boost.

FWIW before my **** broke again a week or two ago, at WOT we were spinning my 315 bfg drag radials at 120mph in 4th gear.

My guess would be a properly situated setup would be right at the brink of traction, or maybe a little more.

no point in going fast if you cant floor it and hook.

Thats why when I race guys I try to get em to go 60/70mph to 165+
Old 12-12-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam

FWIW before my **** broke again a week or two ago, at WOT we were spinning my 315 bfg drag radials at 120mph in 4th gear.

My guess would be a properly situated setup would be right at the brink of traction, or maybe a little more.

racing to 165+mph? stupid, but thats just my opinion....
Old 12-12-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Veteran

My friend goes WOT from a 60 roll and dead hooks every time.....1,280 RWHP TT Heffner Viper. Beats everyone in south Florida. Last I heard thats the power he had, it might be more now.

Its all about hooking alright.

What caused your engine failure?

Is Futral doing anything for you?

Old 12-12-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TINKRD
racing to 165+mph? stupid, but thats just my opinion....
South Florida cars do races regularly, like every week, over 200 mph. 6 years and no accidents yet.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Quickin
My friend goes WOT from a 60 roll and dead hooks every time.....1,280 RWHP TT Heffner Viper. Beats everyone in south Florida. Last I heard thats the power he had, it might be more now.

Its all about hooking alright.

What caused your engine failure?

Is Futral doing anything for you?

I dont think it was an engine failure, we tried cranking the car without spark and when the car tried cranking over there was a noise coming from the bell housing, so Im thinking the clutch came apart.

Of coarse its all about hooking, but ive already got a ton of suspension mods and 315 DR's, so besides slicks and a 4 link im not really sure what else will plant 800 ft/lbs of tq.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

I dont think it was an engine failure, we tried cranking the car without spark and when the car tried cranking over there was a noise coming from the bell housing, so Im thinking the clutch came apart.

Of coarse its all about hooking, but ive already got a ton of suspension mods and 315 DR's, so besides slicks and a 4 link im not really sure what else will plant 800 ft/lbs of tq.
Its strange how some cars hook and some don't. The Viper has about 1,100 RWTQ. If you're gonna race someone there's no reason not to use a DOT slick, right?

Old 12-12-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
Tiago I wanna check out your car some time since your local. O and I bought your friends motor (Eric) to put in my GTO with a T76GTS.

I only want one thing. Daily drive my car everyday and go to the track turn up the boost run 9's and go home with a smile on my face.
i bought the other part that hooked up to it but now after reading this im gonna feel kinda shaky from 380hp to something totally different
Old 12-12-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

you adjust your suspension pieces you got.

have a 600-700rwhp car now, if id just get my tranny back, should be 700-900 next summer. one of dees days ill get there, but id be happy with 900 through my th400 if my turbo cant get me there
Old 12-12-2006, 08:11 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by TINKRD
in my opinion this thread is geared towards people like you

skipping 4/5/600 HP completely?

do you know what you're talking about? big framed turbo? 500ci spray setup??

my car has the best of the best blah blah.

Money doesnt always buy a good setup.

just by your post, i would say you have no idea what combonation of parts will efficiently make good power other then, "big turbo" or " big motor with lots of nitrous"

and after reading your "mod list" on yourwebsite i've confirmed my assumptions.

PLANNED
-LS1 Turbo motor setup - 6.0L Iron block, bored .30 over, 4" Eagle or Lunati crank, Carillo 6.125" rods with 285,000lb. Tensile Strength rod bolts, Diamond Flat top forged pistons, AFR 225cc heads, Hi-Flow Turbo kit. T88 turbo w/ 3" DP.

1. you dont want flat top pistons...
2. you dont want a 3in DP w/ a "big framed" T88 turbo...

not trying to **** you off, just my own opinion from reading your post.
That's a 2 year old page LOL. I do this, and work as a BMW tech for a living. Care to take a stab at me LOL. Read my posts, I'd consider myself EXTREMLY knowledgable on variety of things.

As I said before, those who know me (on this board, and in person) know I'm no dreamer. I've piloted my fair share of insane rides....

I don't take your post to offense of course. It's far too easy to be on the internet behind a keyboard. You can have your oppinion, and thats fine. But as they say... When the flag drops, the BS stops.

EDIT: I edited that page for ya, now you won't have to deal with pipe dreamed crap of a 16 y/o. With the exception of the highflow crap. I'm sure at some point I tried editing that page, but it's a lost cause LOL.

Last edited by BAD ASS TA WS6; 12-12-2006 at 08:19 PM.

Quick Reply: How many 1000 hp dreamers have had over 500 rwhp?