Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: If you want a 750+ hp car, what is your past experience?
I have never owned a car with more than 500 rwhp.
30.23%
I have owned a racecar with more than 500 rwhp before.
3.16%
I have owned a streetcar with more than 500 rwhp before.
63.76%
I am building the 750+ hp car for track use only.
2.86%
Voters: 665. You may not vote on this poll

How many 1000 hp dreamers have had over 500 rwhp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont see how you guys are claiming ripping the tires loose at 60mph w/ only 500HP...

i had 700hp/800tq and i could dead hook a 3rd gear hit at 60mph w/ 315 BFG DR's. 4.10 gears :shrug:

maybe you guys are on regular street tires. :dunno:
Old 12-13-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quickin
South Florida cars do races regularly, like every week, over 200 mph. 6 years and no accidents yet.

I really doubt theres been no accidents.... I dont doubt there are retardedly overpowered cars down there, but i do doubt they are as common as you say. Everything ive heard ponts to 4 cities for big hitters on the streets, chicago, houston, detroit, and new york. Ive never heard of this big scene in florida, maybe cause its too "fast and furious" style with the "roll racing".

But now that im done ranting about roll racing, im going from a mid 400 RWHP car to a 700ish rwhp car. Im gonna build the 700ish rwhp setup, then pulley it down as i learn to drive the car. Then when i learn to handle that and am at the track im gonna try a little nitrous. I had the 1KHP dream like many, but when i started really looking at stuff i priced myself in the 700+ RWHP range on boost, with the ability to spray more later.

Also im at about 14K invested so far. Thats for a shortblock, D1 kit with the ATI dampner, th400 trans, no converter still, and a timing chain/oil pump, injectors, and head studs. Still need an intake and heads, converter, rearend, suspension, fuel system, and countless more "little things". FI is surely not for the cheap. When you look at all the hidden costs your jaw has a tendancy to drop. But im not gonna keep refilling bottles to make power.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

Heres a lil video out of new york some of you may enjoy. Shows how, with enough practice, you can hook big power on the street! Lil VHT never hurts the cause either though....

Click here to see Video
Old 12-13-2006, 01:06 AM
8 Second Club

I think I made around 800-900 at the tire when it went the 161 mph (3400-3425 lbs raceweight) and as far as street car goes...well, ask Mr. Meaney if he enjoyed our cruise down M59...

I must say it was fun to take down Gratiot and have 600cc bikes ask if I wanted to run...I said they might want to get their big brothers (and modded ones at that) if they wanted to play...at 10 lbs it hooked pretty well...at 20 lbs well it went places but left black marks in the process...but stayed straight.

Last edited by LTLHOMER; 12-13-2006 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
Heres a lil video out of new york some of you may enjoy. Shows how, with enough practice, you can hook big power on the street! Lil VHT never hurts the cause either though....
That is the coolest ******* video I have ever seen. Thanks for that.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That was pretty awesome.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Click here to see Video
Couldent get your video to play, got some kind of error. Pissed me off
Old 12-13-2006, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

I agree and that is a great question. I own three cars that make over 500RWHP on a Mustang Dyno and these are not dyno queens. They have all seen time on the track. My street car and the slowest of the 3 is an 02 Cobra with still the Eaton S/C; methanol; pulleys; cams; 541RWHP and 578 RWTQ. Fun to drive on the street, but racing takes place at the track.2nd car is actually my sons. Fox body with low boost turbo 588RWHP on pump gas and only 15 PSI capable of 25 PSI. On the street when boost comes in it is a handful. Last car is a Track only car; Fox body 348 with large body 88 Turbo @ 17PSI on Mustang Dyno- no lock up and no ice 1167 RWHP. If you have never really been in on of these full throttle at half track @ 131mph if the suspension is not right and boost begins to come in I have been sideways at both HMP and HRP at over 130mph. So, a true 1000 on the street or even 650 to 700 can be a handful. It also just takes time and money to get 1000 RWHP in a drive train; fuel system; and chasis that can really handle this on a consistent basis.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Numbers in sig and new numbers in 2 to 3 weeks. Dont go to the track tho.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:23 AM
Teching In

My car in the beginning was great and alot of fun, but it very quickly became exactly how you decribe 500 RWHP, A JOKE, but with a different meaning. I think its pathetic now and its just a 100% daily driven grocery getter. There are too many cars, 100% street cars that have well over 1,000 RWHP around here. They're everywhere.

Thats why, as you know, I want WAY more than 1,000 RWHP for the street. In 3 years from now 1,200 RWHP cars will be all over the place just like 800-1000 RWHP cars are now.

At least around south Florida 1,000 RWHP, STREET CARS, are a thing of the past, I guess maybe the rest of the country hasen't caught up yet.

500 RWHP is only something special to someone thats been driving a stock car around for a long time.
NO it isn't. Depends on the type of racing you do. Roll racing around here, 700 RWHP will hand you a loss every night you go out, and a HUGE embarrassing loss at that.

Now stomping the pedal from a dig....different story.
Yup, its sick around here. I remember showing up to watch some racing one night, at least 200 cars showed up. Watched a car waste a 750 RWHP silver single turbo Supra, than watched a 1,100 RWHP TT Viper waste that car. Then a guy who nobody ever saw before shows up in an all-wheel drive black TT Porsche and his buddy's were in a Yukon to watch. It utterly destroyed the TT Viper from a dig, then from a roll. It looked like the Viper was in park.
Than on the way out I was just cruising along side the first 750 RWHP Supra, I was like lets run'em. Maybe from a 50 roll we both hit it and I jumped out about 2-3 cars and was like, WOW, then about 5-6 seconds later it came screaming by me like a friggin steam whistle.

You never know whats gonna pull up along side you down here There's so many people that own monster daily driven cars with well over 1,000 RWHP that its scary to race someone.
99% of people who build amazingly high HP street cars do it for just that, the street. They have no interest in the drag strip. Yet, their cars will still go to a track a tear off a sloppy mid 10 or even a 9 second pass just goofing off. The AWD TT Porsche that runs around down here daily driving has gone mid 9's just the way it drives on the street and kills people from 50-200 mph roll races. Best of both worlds.
I don't think anyone is going to post:

"I want a 1,000 RWHP car but I'm clueless how to do it and I want to learn how to drive one."

One phone call to a shop and they can tell you exactly how its done. Building it is another issue but thats what the shops are for.
My friend goes WOT from a 60 roll and dead hooks every time.....1,280 RWHP TT Heffner Viper. Beats everyone in south Florida. Last I heard thats the power he had, it might be more now.

Its all about hooking alright.

What caused your engine failure?

Is Futral doing anything for you?
South Florida cars do races regularly, like every week, over 200 mph. 6 years and no accidents yet.
Ah, prime suspect #1. I'm sure you haven't realized this, but every post you make proves Tony's point. Every single one of them.

If I owned a shop specializing in high horsepower cars, I'd have saved your number in my phone as "do not answer" after the first time you told me you "needed" 1500rwhp for your street car.

It's may be easy to talk about 1000-1500rwhp when you own a car with an ARE motor that did significantly less than 500rwhp, but don't make it this easy for us.

-Russell
Old 12-13-2006, 06:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

right now I am going from heads/cam/intake and all the bolt on's 346, to a boost ready 408 then adding a procharger in about 6 months so I can get used to the power on hand with just the 408.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:15 AM
Teching In

70% so far, is that more then you expected?
Old 12-13-2006, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tony,

I definitely see where you are coming from. I'll be one of the first to admit that 1000 HP is WAY too much for the street. Sure you can drive it, but you're not gonna be flooring it and using that HP.

My Formula was right around 475 RWHP and with an M6 it was a blast to drive. Could I get out of control with it, you bet, but it wasn't at the "insane" level.

2 weeks ago I FINALLY got to ride in my little bro's car in VA. Think he said it was sitting at 17#'s of boost, probably somewhere between the 700 and 800 RWHP mark. The first time he put it to the floor I was just awed... to the point that my heart was pounding. We probably only ran up to 100 MPH so I know it wasn't even in it's power band yet, but DAMN. WAY too much for the street. You could get into trouble really easy with that. And that wasn't even 1000 HP. For me, those numbers belong on the track. Sure you can cruise the street, do some great burnouts, but the power is pretty much useless. JMO...

I won't even talk about the $$
Old 12-13-2006, 08:07 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Wow this went a lil South quick......
Spinning tires at 60-70 mph is for @%$%#'s..... try it at 100+ and you will really know what makes your @$$ Hole Pucker LOL
No ****, I dont even know how much rwhp I make but I took one of the local M6 'roll racers' for a ride in my car and his only words were 'holy ****' when the car went sideways and left two black marks on the road nailing it at 80mph with 11.5 x 28 QTPs lol. And thats with maybe 800fwhp, cant see much use for 1000rwhp on the street except for internet racing and/or shops advertising.

I say let people dream, its good for the economy
Old 12-13-2006, 08:41 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Spinning tires at 60-70 mph is for @%$%#'s..... try it at 100+ and you will really know what makes your @$$ Hole Pucker LOL

for sure

that is some scary ****......you can laugh about it after the fact though
Old 12-13-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Click here to see Video
Sweet Lord Baby Jesus! That is unreal. Thankfully he stayed straight, thats the kinda deal that could have taken anyone close out.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

I think his point is that its extremely expensive and complicated to build a 700+ rwhp car that can be truly daily driven. Ajustible boost setups like lingenfelter can do it but they are very pricey. Then when and if you build the 700+ whp car you cant use that much power on the street anyway.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i talk to a lot of guys about my set up and experience about their 'plans'. i say about 60% never do anything but talk about it, 30% start doing the easy part and buy a few random components and then quit. the last 10% get in over their head in money and know-how and bail out.

that leaves a total of 0% of all the people i have given advice to that have actually followed through with a build similar to mine.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

I voted 500+ with my heads, cam and spray setup. I only want a lot of power acquired via turbo (twins or single) while keeping the nitrous and doing without the huge FMIC or meth/alky/water. I'm not sure how much power I want, but my magic number right now is 800 rwhp. I want to do top speed runs, and not necessarily on the road; they're too short and crowded. My dream is to set a record, either personal or otherwise, out on the salt flats. The standing mile sounds like fun, too! My small goal for now is 200mph+ with stock cubes and no extreme frame or body modifications (that huge FMIC I was talking about) ... your average "street" car. Then if that's good, I want to shoot for 225mph, 250mph, whatever. We'll see how things turn out and where life takes me. Yeah, I'm dreaming, but so were you all before you got to where you are now.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Launching!

1000 hp is too much on the street! I've been there and it's just retarded! I took Stenod out for a pass on the expressway in my car last year. I took it right out of the trailer from the track after an 8 second pass...C16, 29# of boost, powerglide and 28x10.5W drags! I layed into it from 70mph or so to about 120mph blowin the tires off the whole time! Felt like the car was just floating, *** end everywhere! Stenod was grabbing every bar in sight ! lol! It felt like I had the car under control...but we all know with that much power that can change in a second! That **** belongs at the track! Kinda scary to think people are building cars with that much power and have had no experience with it!

Quick Reply: How many 1000 hp dreamers have had over 500 rwhp?