Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: If you want a 750+ hp car, what is your past experience?
I have never owned a car with more than 500 rwhp.
30.23%
I have owned a racecar with more than 500 rwhp before.
3.16%
I have owned a streetcar with more than 500 rwhp before.
63.76%
I am building the 750+ hp car for track use only.
2.86%
Voters: 665. You may not vote on this poll

How many 1000 hp dreamers have had over 500 rwhp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony very nice thread topic.

I can say I have started small and worked my way up slowly. Old Chevy trucks with big stroker small blocks and 18 degree heads then onto the fox body mustang craze which I took to the 650rwhp level. That was too much. My 03 Corbra made 508rwhp on the dyno. It was a all in all bad *** ride with all the options and weight to go with it. Forget it being out in the rain with it. Forget a dead dig on the street or track, wheel hop, spin, wheel hop, something breaks. I went 12.20 @122mph on street tires nailing it in 3rd gear. I miss that car.

Now I am back into the LS1 game. I am in the process of putting my shop and shop car back together. Its the 2000 Z28 in my sig. I plan on hitting somewhere around 750rwhp with a 76mm turbo. the car is light. It should be fun. I do have goals for that car however. They do involve going towards a 1000rwhp setup with a set of twins or my 91.5mm single. I understand that at that point the car wil be nearly useless on the street. Its good advertisemnt for the shop though. If and when it does come out on the street in that form I will tune it back alot. I have no desire to kill myself.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
My car was a handful when it made 680rwhp (9.4@143) so I have yet to see what it will be like with 867rwhp.
john i've noticed your dyno numbers have changed, i used to see 752 rwhp all the time what happened to that?
Old 12-13-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
john i've noticed your dyno numbers have changed, i used to see 752 rwhp all the time what happened to that?

'745 unlocked converter' is burned into my monitor.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info for the slow people.

It does take alot of money to get there but not 25-30k at all.

I went boost. I can adjust to my driving needs. There is no way in hell I am going to tune my car for 750rwhp and start off driving it. I will start at 500rwhp drive it and take it to the track and run it. After I am use to that for a few months move up in stages. Once its all said and done I should be at over 850rwhp butttttttttttttttt only when I hit the track. I think a good limit on the street is 625rwhp.

Guy who i bought my turbo motor made 800rwhp on a T70 but broke everything under the sun with it. From the clutch to the timing cover will be built. Now I have to worry about from the drive shaft back but again I can keep the boost low in order to save $$ to build it correctly. And hell I have traction issue with reg street tires my stock gto.

Only way to get a handle on high hp cars and issues is to get great feedback like this from others.

Anyone in Houston area that has a 500rwhp+++ I would love to take a ride to get a feel in what I will be up for
Old 12-13-2006, 11:49 AM
7 Second Club

Received 303 Likes on 203 Posts

Mine dead hooks from 45mph with 3.42s, 680 rwhp/720 trq, and 315 bfg drag radials. Higher boost levels, well that's where it starts to get ugly. As a daily driver, yes it's totally possible to use my car as a daily driver but on the lowest boost setting (10 psi) it still makes 680 rwhp. Would I use it as my daily though, definately not. I have too much money and sweat wrapped up into this car to drive it around to work and back. Clutches and all the parts to handle this kind of power are not cheap and wear out and I wouldn't want to subject the car to just plain old stop and go rush hour ****.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:53 AM
9 Second Club

I agree... even when I was in the 600rwhp range with my blower it was a little crazy on the street so i short shifter the car and it was alright. The new setup will be built around being able to drive the car on the street, but not to drive it hard, just to get it out every once and a while to drive and enjoy the car I have put so many hours/sweat/dollars into. I think 1000 is a wee bit much for the street if you are hammering the car, but if you are just cruising its fine. I hope atleast.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

i went for a ride in a friends Supra that had a boost leaking and was still making in the 7-8XX range through a turbo400 and he punched it from a 40-50 roll to 160 and was still hazing the tires at 120,it pulled rediculously hard.i think theres a point where u have so much power that so long as the car is pointed straight on a decent road you dont have to worry too much about the rearend kicking out so far that you'd spin out....you basically just haze the tires will some swaying back and forth
Old 12-13-2006, 12:47 PM
Fiery Features Director

With the power comes the problems. At one point my 500+ car was a daily driver but I am not so sure that it can be called that anymore. As for actually putting down power on the street, that is just impossible... and driving in the rain is considered a new sport for me. As many problems as I have with my current setup, I don't think I would have the funds or the patience to build a 1000hp street car.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:19 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i talk to a lot of guys about my set up and experience about their 'plans'. i say about 60% never do anything but talk about it, 30% start doing the easy part and buy a few random components and then quit. the last 10% get in over their head in money and know-how and bail out.

that leaves a total of 0% of all the people i have given advice to that have actually followed through with a build similar to mine.
Well who can blame them... Not a whole lot of people are going to follow in your footsteps and shoe-horn a funny car engine in an Fbody Dave.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zangel
With the power comes the problems. At one point my 500+ car was a daily driver but I am not so sure that it can be called that anymore. As for actually putting down power on the street, that is just impossible... and driving in the rain is considered a new sport for me. As many problems as I have with my current setup, I don't think I would have the funds or the patience to build a 1000hp street car.

Damn Tiff out of the wood work.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i talk to a lot of guys about my set up and experience about their 'plans'. i say about 60% never do anything but talk about it, 30% start doing the easy part and buy a few random components and then quit. the last 10% get in over their head in money and know-how and bail out.

that leaves a total of 0% of all the people i have given advice to that have actually followed through with a build similar to mine.

Not all of us are all talk But I do appreciate the help and "guidance" along the way. It's nice to have a bunch of experience right down the road from me.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:00 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
Blower:
752rwhp, 21.5 psi, never made a pass at this power level
680rwhp, 18 psi, went 143-144mph in July the same week I dynoed

Turbo:
867rwhp, 24 or 25psi, 141 on shakedown pass not knowing how to best stage the car
Old 12-13-2006, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Well, I can tell you that most people with 1000hp+ dreams are oblivious to the amount of work, research, time, money, and maintenance that is required for that type of HP level. Look at me and my friend Bill....his car, his money, my experiance, my willingness to work for beer and food...and over $20K so far and only alittle over 500rwhp

Granted that we started with a blower from the get go and broke just about everything from the motor back Hell....I'm not a veteran in race car/engine building by any means...I learned from family and my own trial and error...parts that couldn't handle the abuse were replaced with the next best thing. One piece at a time and thousands of dollars later for tuning, parts, and playtime adds up Mind you this is a daily driver...he drags this thing on base here at Mcguire AFB everyday in the summer and races during the week after work.

1000hp for us?.....maybe not...Bill's happy with what he has for now...a roll cage will probably be out of the question as it will take away from the stock appearance of the car. But if he decides to go all in...who knows where it will take us
Old 12-13-2006, 02:10 PM
9 Second Club

I had real good numbers for a STS kit... now I am in the final stages of what I hope will be a 1000FWHP setup. I guess we will see... Seeing if this 408 can spool that 88 in the back is the question.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rabidbandit
Well, I can tell you that most people with 1000hp+ dreams are oblivious to the amount of work, research, time, money, and maintenance that is required for that type of HP level. Look at me and my friend Bill....his car, his money, my experiance, my willingness to work for beer and food...and over $20K so far and only alittle over 500rwhp

What? You guys sure are either wasteful with money or have changed plans too many times. Thats ridiculous.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

My last daily driver was a 94 Acura Integra with a whopping 2.0l stroker. Made 680 to the front wheels and got 30+ mpg in its daily driver routine. That was stolen last year. My 00 z28 is up and running just need to finish the tune and dyno it when we get more racegas. Iron block 408 pt88 HPT, 96lb/hr inj, twin walboros, return fuel, tea stg2 heads o-ringed, nossle DP nitrous kit. Yadda Yadda Yadda. I am about 35k including the car, sans torque arm, rear end and cage. Should hit the 1k mark but have to see how the daily driver stuff works out. No DD and its getting sold. lol cant spend all this money and not enjoy it every day.

Funny thing is, Hondas cost just as much to build.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just my 2 cents, and I owe you guys change

Owned a low 10 sec street car back in the day (early 90s). 10 inch tires, BBC. Legit street car. Drove it to the track, regularily, even. Whooped up on some trailer cars and then drove home.
We build alot of street cars in the 500 RWHP range. Unless you have a bad *** suspension, any more is useless. The #s are impressive, but do they run what they should? We've built several race cars (either chassis or engines or both) with considerably more HP.
I see all the time, on this forum, cars with excessive HP running 11s. Or MAYBE 10s. I know some of you are alot quicker, but most arent.
With today's technology, 1000 HP is fairly easy, and with a turbo, fairly streetable. But again, aside from the chest pounding, how many of them RUN?
It's far more impressive to me, for a small tire car to run its *** off for the power its making than for someone with cubic dollars to come out and overpower a mediocre chassis with a sick amount of HP.
That video of the wheelstand, now thats a chassis that works!! (even though it would prolly be quicker if they kept the front end down lower, but it wouldnt be nearly as impressive!)
Very few have any clue as to what it costs to build something at this level. It might not cost 30 grand to make 1000 HP but it'll damn sure cost that much to make that kinda HP DEPENDABLY, AND put it to the ground AND make it safe.
Kyles car is one of the most streetable high horsepower cars I've seen. Ask him how easy it is to get it to run what it should? Right Kyle? Hopefully we will help him remedy that!! (S60 going in as I type) HOLD IT DOWN BACK THERE!!!
As far as street manners, for the power its a kitten.
As far as people dreaming, if it wasnt for dreamers, I wouldnt be doing what I do for a living.
As far as how MANY hi HP cars are out there, we have a shop full of bad *** cars. Kyle can attest. That being said, we very rarely see real street cars with that kinda power.
Hope I wasnt too far off topic....
Old 12-13-2006, 04:30 PM
NKAWTG...N

I need to double my HP asap
Old 12-13-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Frost

Not all of us are all talk But I do appreciate the help and "guidance" along the way. It's nice to have a bunch of experience right down the road from me.
you didnt have plans, you started executing immediately. so you dont count.... not that i would consier yours a 1khp street car yet steve.. you still have a few semesters left as a Mouseketeer
Old 12-13-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've driven in a 2700 pound 800 plus RWHP car before (not an Fbody) It was just as KP described. 80-100mph punch and ignited the ET streets up like they were on ice.

I've also driven a ~650RWHP fbody and while scary fast it was much easier to control. That car had 3.42 gears and roadrace suspension, sticky tires so I think that helps a bit.

God help you if you are driving around on drag radials in the rain in a 1K RWHP car LOL

Quick Reply: How many 1000 hp dreamers have had over 500 rwhp?