Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: If you want a 750+ hp car, what is your past experience?
I have never owned a car with more than 500 rwhp.
30.23%
I have owned a racecar with more than 500 rwhp before.
3.16%
I have owned a streetcar with more than 500 rwhp before.
63.76%
I am building the 750+ hp car for track use only.
2.86%
Voters: 665. You may not vote on this poll

How many 1000 hp dreamers have had over 500 rwhp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Owned a low 10 sec street car back in the day (early 90s). 10 inch tires, BBC. Legit street car. Drove it to the track, regularily, even. Whooped up on some trailer cars and then drove home.
We build alot of street cars in the 500 RWHP range. Unless you have a bad *** suspension, any more is useless. The #s are impressive, but do they run what they should? We've built several race cars (either chassis or engines or both) with considerably more HP.
I see all the time, on this forum, cars with excessive HP running 11s. Or MAYBE 10s. I know some of you are alot quicker, but most arent.
With today's technology, 1000 HP is fairly easy, and with a turbo, fairly streetable. But again, aside from the chest pounding, how many of them RUN?
It's far more impressive to me, for a small tire car to run its *** off for the power its making than for someone with cubic dollars to come out and overpower a mediocre chassis with a sick amount of HP.
That video of the wheelstand, now thats a chassis that works!! (even though it would prolly be quicker if they kept the front end down lower, but it wouldnt be nearly as impressive!)
Very few have any clue as to what it costs to build something at this level. It might not cost 30 grand to make 1000 HP but it'll damn sure cost that much to make that kinda HP DEPENDABLY, AND put it to the ground AND make it safe.
Kyles car is one of the most streetable high horsepower cars I've seen. Ask him how easy it is to get it to run what it should? Right Kyle? Hopefully we will help him remedy that!! (S60 going in as I type) HOLD IT DOWN BACK THERE!!!
As far as street manners, for the power its a kitten.
As far as people dreaming, if it wasnt for dreamers, I wouldnt be doing what I do for a living.
As far as how MANY hi HP cars are out there, we have a shop full of bad *** cars. Kyle can attest. That being said, we very rarely see real street cars with that kinda power.
Hope I wasnt too far off topic....

yEP YEP.....She is very easy to drive...
It will be even better with these new 3.54's in the S60.
I cant lie i have hit my head on the cage a few times getting in and out.
I couldnt imagine what that car would be like with a 4L80E.
The ""ONLY"" 800-1000rwhp threads do get on my nerves...... some do try it and in the end they do get it, but most dont... Just like Mightey Mouse said..... they start... they see how much $$$ it takes and give up....

Rob,

I saw the grin on your face brother when we went on that ride........... Remember what i asked ya?????
""See what your getting into""" LOL

Kyle
Old 12-13-2006, 05:08 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

I think low 10 second cars can be fun on the street, but beyond that, better to turn it down if trying to make passes on the street.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
you didnt have plans, you started executing immediately. so you dont count.... not that i would consier yours a 1khp street car yet steve.. you still have a few semesters left as a Mouseketeer
Well then i count,lol,planned and saved for over a year until i had everything i needed and making 530rwhp on 7psi.Going to redyno this winter on higher boost and see where it takes me.And that was despite people bitching wheres the turbo kit(Ph@mSp**d) and wheres the motor and people giving me **** locally when they never even got their setups running the way they planned.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I think low 10 second cars can be fun on the street, but beyond that, better to turn it down if trying to make passes on the street.
You obviously know what it takes to make a small tire car run in the 9s. Making the HP is the easy part. Making the car RUN is a different story. Right? Thats clearly evident in your sig. Your sold combo ran 4 tenths quicker, but only 2 mph faster. I would gander its nuthin more than time spent tweakin. Right again? I imagine without making any more power, you'll have the new combo running just as quick, just from chassis tuning. Thats what seperates the chest pounders from the runners.
Sorry for the hijack...Now back to your regularily scheduled programming
Old 12-13-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
What? You guys sure are either wasteful with money or have changed plans too many times. Thats ridiculous.
I was thinking the same, im looking to be around the low 20's mark when my cars back on the road again (motor,trans,rear,suspension fuel, cage etc etc) and im looking for around 700RWHP hopefully closer to 750. I will be at the track with some daily driving mixed in. I will probably spend 70% of my time on the street and 30% at the track.

Last edited by BIG BAD BLACKSS; 12-13-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Old 12-13-2006, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by next
There's TONS! Don't you know everybody in Florida has one
I know Eric, just yesterday I saw 7 of them line up on US1. Good thing I had the chance to stop them and check their dyno sheets out. All were way over 1000hp but they said they only race from 160-180. Those are probably great races.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
Heres a lil video out of new york some of you may enjoy. Shows how, with enough practice, you can hook big power on the street! Lil VHT never hurts the cause either though....

Click here to see Video
Awesome vid!!!

Those people standing around and in front of those cars are idiots though! Darwinism at its best!
Old 12-13-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

thats a crazy vid..
Old 12-13-2006, 07:20 PM
...with cheese.

That is a crazy vid. I've been over 700 to the tire in my street setup. I didn't have too much trouble getting the power to the ground and it was scary fast. I can't imagine anything more powerful being near as tame on the roads.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1BADWS6@STENOD
1000 hp is too much on the street! I've been there and it's just retarded! I took Stenod out for a pass on the expressway in my car last year. I took it right out of the trailer from the track after an 8 second pass...C16, 29# of boost, powerglide and 28x10.5W drags! I layed into it from 70mph or so to about 120mph blowin the tires off the whole time! Felt like the car was just floating, *** end everywhere! Stenod was grabbing every bar in sight ! lol! It felt like I had the car under control...but we all know with that much power that can change in a second! That **** belongs at the track! Kinda scary to think people are building cars with that much power and have had no experience with it!
I think it depends on who is driving, and their maturity about it.

As others and myself have mentioned before, spinning the tires at 100+ may seem fun, but its pointless.

if your talking about usable power on the street, I couldnt really tell you where the limit is since i made a big jump myself.

the feeling though is something you never forget, my buddy is STILL talking about the drive, lol, and that was like 2 weeks ago.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CHRISPY
God help you if you are driving around on drag radials in the rain in a 1K RWHP car LOL
Old 12-13-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Id imagine turbo cars and nitrous cars are worse on the street due to the instant hit of torque as that turbo spools or the nitrous hits. Sounds like the gradual increase in boost offered by a centrifigal blower may be an advantage on the street to a point?

At least thats how i justify to myself why i didnt cough up the extra $ for a good turbo kit!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

16 flippin' pages since yesterday??? GEEZZUUSSS...

I know what it "feels" like Tony... 400rwhp+ w/ Head/cam, 520rwhp+ w/ 422 stroker, 700rwhp+ 422 Stroker w/ 200shot, and now...well you know the rest

I agree most "young" guys don't really know what their asking for or really fully understand what their getting themselves into...

As for me I truly enjoy driving a 900RWHP (no NOS) and over 1xxx (100 shot) on the street with the A/C blowin' cold and listening to some good ole tunes. A pretty cool feelin' but ya gotta drive with your head for sure...!

Last edited by DJ's99SS; 12-13-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:18 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned three over 500rwhp setups..
Old 12-14-2006, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VINCE
I have owned three over 500rwhp setups..
Yeah, but we can't all be big ballers like you!
Old 12-14-2006, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Rob,

I saw the grin on your face brother when we went on that ride........... Remember what i asked ya?????
""See what your getting into""" LOL

Kyle
You know it bro! I was grinnin' ear to ear!

We both know I won't outrun you the first year with my 6 speed, but once the glide goes in, it's on!
Old 12-14-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ill be waiting.....
One day..... till then ill have to race Fred i guess...........
Wait till ya see what he has planned.....
430ci LS7, Twin S80's Fuel on Demand setup with a 4L80E
Old 12-14-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

IMO, making the power is the easy part. Getting all that power to the ground and keeping it straight is the hard part.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:29 AM
...with cheese.

Originally Posted by turbo'd stang
IMO, making the power is the easy part. Getting all that power to the ground and keeping it straight is the hard part.
I didn't have any sway support front or rear. My turbo kit kept me from running one on the front and I never got the sway support built for the 9" rear. When I'd make a hard turn I'd have a good 16" wheel well showing. If I ever got going good and had to yank the wheel I'd be dead... I'm lucky. It sure did hook like a mother though. It'd put every bit of the damn weight right were it wanted every time I stepped on the gas.

Quick Reply: How many 1000 hp dreamers have had over 500 rwhp?