Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: If you want a 750+ hp car, what is your past experience?
I have never owned a car with more than 500 rwhp.
30.23%
I have owned a racecar with more than 500 rwhp before.
3.16%
I have owned a streetcar with more than 500 rwhp before.
63.76%
I am building the 750+ hp car for track use only.
2.86%
Voters: 665. You may not vote on this poll

How many 1000 hp dreamers have had over 500 rwhp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 11:08 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
You obviously know what it takes to make a small tire car run in the 9s. Making the HP is the easy part. Making the car RUN is a different story. Right? Thats clearly evident in your sig. Your sold combo ran 4 tenths quicker, but only 2 mph faster. I would gander its nuthin more than time spent tweakin. Right again? I imagine without making any more power, you'll have the new combo running just as quick, just from chassis tuning. Thats what seperates the chest pounders from the runners.
Sorry for the hijack...Now back to your regularily scheduled programming
At 9.4@143, the blower combo had a 9.2 in it with more tweaking. This turbo setup has a lot more in it, more like full second left in it. But yeah, +1 to the points you made.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
What? You guys sure are either wasteful with money or have changed plans too many times. Thats ridiculous.
Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
I was thinking the same, im looking to be around the low 20's mark when my cars back on the road again (motor,trans,rear,suspension fuel, cage etc etc) and im looking for around 700RWHP hopefully closer to 750. I will be at the track with some daily driving mixed in. I will probably spend 70% of my time on the street and 30% at the track
Not ridiculous....blower $6K, Moser $2500, Tru-Trac broken $600, Two rear rebuilds $600, rear suspension components $1k, 2 sets of injectors 47's and 60's $800ish, two different manifolds $1200, valve train package $500, timing/pump package $300, Headers $600, y-pipe $150, cam $300, 11 tunes so far $3k, brake uprades $500, Belts, Blower and accessories $200, Mondo bypass $300.....

....but wait there's more, wide band $400, denny nitrous driveshaft $375, two spec clutches 3/3+ w/billet flywheel $800, Fuel pump (two so far) $500, EFI Live software $745, slicks and skinnies with weld draglites $1200....for a total of $22,670 so far

BIG BAD BLACKSS......low $20K....So I'm not crazy....we haven't touched the internals yet in the motor which is why we are at only 8#'s.....10 or 12 #'s with just a pulley swap and 8-rib kit....sure we'll be in that range of 650rwhp+ too. We decided to build up the rest of the car first...before making that kind of power Is that 20k after the teardown or total?

Well....this is the stuff off the top of my head....Wasteful.....not quite....it's reality....not to meantion the driving and trailering to tune this car and other up-keep, stuff for the future...front suspension/k-member, roll cage, engine internals, which we haven't done Sure....if it was all in the engine I'd have him runnin's 9's and breaking everything from the flywheel back...come on man. I bet if most people add up their tunning alone....they'd crap themselves That's why I now have the software to take care of it....hindsight's 20/20 .....Later

Oh....I don't even want to comment on the guys that take their rides to major shops to get work done....makes our total seem pretty small compared to them

Last edited by Rabidbandit; 12-14-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

i think some people are less thrifty than others,or have to rebuy stuff.....
built tranny $1000
build longblock good to 7500rpms and 800+hp $5000
clutch and flywheel $650
turbo kit w/ WB02,boost gauge,scan gauge $5000
misc(nuts bolts couplers etc)....$2000
fuel setup $1000
total=~$14k
add $2500 for a rearend and another $2k for suspension and your still not at $20k
Old 12-14-2006, 01:34 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

ddn, wouldn't you add in safety equipment, drag wheels/tires, and other stuff?

For a 1000hp (at the crank) turbo kit, I'd say the turbo kit will cost $7500 or more. You are now building something one-off and that stuff always costs more.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Ill be waiting.....
One day..... till then ill have to race Fred i guess...........
Wait till ya see what he has planned.....
430ci LS7, Twin S80's Fuel on Demand setup with a 4L80E

thats gonna be a mosnter
Old 12-14-2006, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Ok....this is getting off topic so I'll end with this.....less thrifty....Nope...just not enough experiance with this setup or F-Body's in general. Yes, we had to rebuy stuff or fix weak links....I didn't expect to have all the answers the first time to built a "Perfect" street/race car. Hell I'm learnin' a ton just off this site and you guys pointing me in the right direction. Just because we spent over $20K doesn't mean we're wastful....just means that it took a little trial and error to get the results we wanted If I had the knowledge and the resources I have now....I could have shaved a few grand off the bill
Old 12-14-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

I guess I would fall into the "dreamer" because I have not actually OWNED a high horsepower vehicle...

That being said my father owned a alcohol dragster when I was young and I grew up smelling of burnt rubber and gas... I remember running up and down the trailers ramp stomping my feet loudly and getting yelled at by my dad... I remember eating a sandwich sitting in john force's funny car while they tore it down between passes, helping the stidham's brothers with the time machine...

My father/son trips with my dad almost always involve a NHRA event and when they test the nitro cars im at the edge of the ropes tears streaming from the fumes and loveing every second of it....

to bad I have financial obligations that interfere with my car hobby... So yea... I'm a dreamer...
Old 12-14-2006, 03:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
ddn, wouldn't you add in safety equipment, drag wheels/tires, and other stuff?

For a 1000hp (at the crank) turbo kit, I'd say the turbo kit will cost $7500 or more. You are now building something one-off and that stuff always costs more.
PSJ Misc covers some/most of that....i quoted it at $2k.Rollcage would cost $6-800.Tranny blanket=$50(i found a deal)
And Rabidbandit didnt state 1000rwhp.If i chose to change turbos and change DP's the kit is capable of 1000rwhp,add in a 4" DP and an S88 and bigger injectors and there you go,that'd cost another ~$2k So the total now, for a 1000rwhp capable setup with everything including adding in rear and suspension is,what $21k?Maybe i just came across rather nice deals at the time,i dunno.But it is possible to do it right for ~$20K.Now obviously if you have a racecar that youre trying to go for a certain ET,ie to run 8" @ 160 then its gonna take alot more money cause of breaking stuff/replacing parts/testing until it works.But for a streetcar,which was the title of the thread,well theres the breakdown.
Nick
Old 12-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know how to figure out how much its going to cost to build car X? Add up everything you can think of, and then multiply by 2. Or in some cases 3. Some of the posts here are EXACTLY what this thread is intended to point out. Most people have no clue, even if they think they do.
Even the most experienced DIYer would need a wealth of tools and equipment. Engine building tools. Fabricating tools and equip. That 6-800$ cage, somebodys gotta put it in. I've seen some cage "kits" that werent bad, til Jim bob tried his hand at welding lol. (No offense to anyone with the real name Jim bob)
Alot of our work is, how can I put this? Clean up after DIYers. I get phone calls all the time: "I installed such and such, now I cant get it started", or "I cant get it to run right", or "it leaks real bad", or " its making noise". You name it I think I've heard it...
Old 12-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ddnspider
i think some people are less thrifty than others,or have to rebuy stuff.....
built tranny $1000
build longblock good to 7500rpms and 800+hp $5000
clutch and flywheel $650
turbo kit w/ WB02,boost gauge,scan gauge $5000
misc(nuts bolts couplers etc)....$2000
fuel setup $1000
total=~$14k
add $2500 for a rearend and another $2k for suspension and your still not at $20k
How can you build a long block good to 800 HP for 5000? A good SHORT BLOCK will cost 4000.
Heads 2500
Valve train could cost as much as 2000
MSD 500
Driveshaft, brakes, gauges, tuning, cooling sys,
Fuel system for 1000? A good pump is 400. If you do braided hose with all the cool fittings, you can spend 6-800 bucks on hose and fittings!! Then rails, FPR, and on, and on, and on....
Old 12-14-2006, 06:02 PM
10 Second Club

yeah cause i must not know what im talking about because i havent done it or anything my shortblock consists of custom dished Weiseco pistons,Callies rods,Eagle crank,ARP everything,custom ground cam,ported LQ9 heads,Manley/Ferrea double valves & springs & Ti retainers,etc
just cause it cost you alot more dont assume its not possible,thanks.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah cause i must not know what im talking about because i havent done it or anything my shortblock consists of custom dished Weiseco pistons,Callies rods,Eagle crank,ARP everything,custom ground cam,ported LQ9 heads,Manley/Ferrea double valves & springs & Ti retainers,etc

Break it down then... pull out the reciepts....... i know i have them
Old 12-14-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont wanna see yours, i'll cry
Old 12-14-2006, 06:19 PM
9 Second Club

Lol...
Old 12-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Banned

All that for 5 Gs? I guess you may be close. No aftermarket heads or nuthin.
Yeah, I pay alot more. You know, bein a WD for some of the best companies and all...
Aparently thats using your block, and GM heads...
Still think your cutting it short
Add ons, timing chain, oil pump, push rods, gaskets, yada, yada
You dont want to compare prices....
How about machine work? Balancer? Kyle... How much was your balancer?

Last edited by edcmat-l1; 12-14-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I own a semi-retired 500+ rwhp dd. Once I put on the procharger on, (while getting the stage 2 heads and a cam) no one mentioned that they suck up water in the rain. The dirty little secret no one says or talks about until you expierence it. On all nice days I drive it and I drive it like a grandpaw to boot. MTI put on the kit for me, and as soon as I forge the bottom end I will max out the d1sc. Hell Chris did the work and did a damn fine job; he even made me laugh as I told him my vision in persuite of more power. I have all the upgrades to support more power, from the 8rib to the fuel system. Needless to say, he forgot I already had the D and not the P + the 8rib. I just need some more cash to thow at it to make it faster... so I can drive it slower.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Banned

Some people are Do-ers, am I right? You know, with your low budget hot rod and all....
BTW... What did your "budget build" run, just for the motor? DO TELL!!
Old 12-14-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
All that for 5 Gs? I guess you may be close. No aftermarket heads or nuthin.
Yeah, I pay alot more. You know, bein a WD for some of the best companies and all...
Aparently thats using your block, and GM heads...
Still think your cutting it short
Add ons, timing chain, oil pump, push rods, gaskets, yada, yada
You dont want to compare prices....
How about machine work? Balancer? Kyle... How much was your balancer?
You dont need aftermarket casting heads,and BTW that price was no cores,so it wasnt with my block,timing chain i provided cause i had good luck with double rollers,oil pump was like $75-100.machine work was included in the price too as well as head gaskets.

Kyle i can break it down but im in the middle of finals this week....got a Signals & Systems final tomorrow so cant really take out the time to breakout Paypal reciepts,lol.If you really wanna see hit me up with a pm and ill put it together for you next week.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Banned

You dont need aftermarket casting heads,and BTW that price was no cores,so it wasnt with my block,timing chain i provided cause i had good luck with double rollers,oil pump was like $75-100.machine work was included in the price too as well as head gaskets.

Kyle i can break it down but im in the middle of finals this week....got a Signals & Systems final tomorrow so cant really take out the time to breakout Paypal reciepts,lol.If you really wanna see hit me up with a pm and ill put it together for you next week.
Let me get this straight. You bought outright, a long block, block, rotating assembly( high quality, no less), ported heads, all machine work included, for 5 grand? Yes, I'll buy all my motors from you from now on. And prolly everybody else on here too.
Iron block? Valve train? Their heads or yours? Dont add up...
They givin **** away? I'll take 2.
I know you dont need aftermarket stuff, especially FI.
Pictures? Who dunnit?
Old 12-14-2006, 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

ill shoot u a pm later this weekend....schools kicking my *** lmao.Ill break it down for you

Quick Reply: How many 1000 hp dreamers have had over 500 rwhp?