Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: If you want a 750+ hp car, what is your past experience?
I have never owned a car with more than 500 rwhp.
30.23%
I have owned a racecar with more than 500 rwhp before.
3.16%
I have owned a streetcar with more than 500 rwhp before.
63.76%
I am building the 750+ hp car for track use only.
2.86%
Voters: 665. You may not vote on this poll

How many 1000 hp dreamers have had over 500 rwhp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darrensls1
That's kind of scary. The biggest problem with that philosophy is when you do finally worry about, it's usually too late.

And TO ME (along with a few others) the track does not destroy cars. But the track does offer a relatively safe enviornment to enjoy a great sport.

Hey... no no no... No more dissections!!!

I am well aware of your take. Of course most people don't think twice about their car's conditions at the strip. If they didn't like what their cars went through, they wouldn't race them. There is a simple way to look at this. People's goals with their cars should reflect their own desires... It'd be pretty boring if everyone wih an F-body did the same thing... I'm glad there are 1000 hp cars that drag and 1000 hp cars that don't. I think it's great so many people are passionate about this platform and are willing to express themselves with it. People even put scissor doors on their F-body, and while I wouldn't do it, I'm glad someone found a venue to express himself with a platform we all share and love, the LS1. IF this poll show us anything, it's that there are many of us who desire 500+ rwhp LS1's to be able to drive on the street... I liked sharing my own point of view, but I have no desire to promote it further.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:12 AM
Teching In

pretty decent amount of 500 + hp cars in stl right now. and growing

there is also a 754 rwhp 383 turbo camaro thats a good friend of mine. car is more streetable then most camed ls1's i see pushing just a little over 400 hp forged bottom end, stock z06 cam, heads, fuel and a custom turbo kit. car idles like a dream and moves its *** off when it WOT.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can understand someone who wants to build a 600-1000 rwhp car for street/strip duty. It's cool to want to race a fast car and still be able to cruise in it once and awhile or even drive it to and from the track. But......

We will have to agree to disagree that dangerous and illegal public street wot runs/street racing is cool and or acceptable.

We will have to agree to disagree that drag racing "destroys" well built cars.

I will agree not to disect anymore of your posts in this thread.

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

meh mines 840 on pump most of its life, sometimes i turn it down to 700hp, depends on my mood. Its no different then a stock car when driving normal. Hit the pedal....**** your pants...go home. Only real difference to me.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I currently have a cammed/sprayed/bolt on car making 550rwhp/550rwtq and with full susp. the car hooks very well on the street and feels awesome. Not had it to the track yet will be the first thing I do in the spring though. And the car is setup to go straight and thats about it, but still drives graet on the street, but I am ready for more power!! But I plan on waiting till I can build a real nice Twin Turbo setup which will not be for a couple years as this is a very expensive hobby if you want to go real fast.

Dan
Old 01-24-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 400rwhp car at the moment and Im still getting used to it before I put the nitrous on it, I also had a 02 Silverado with 500+rwhp on the bottle, but the car is an entire different feel, so im mastering the N/A setup before I step it up.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:20 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SW is proof you can be OCD about your car, and still run your car at the track. He leaves a coat of way on the lower fenders, and puts tape on the fender well lips. I've even seen stuff in the wheel wells to keep them clean. Go look at them after he has run the car. You could never tell the car had rolled out of its climate controlled garage.

I understand your point, I understand your fanatacism, but.... Quite simply its your perspective, and it isn't factual. I have quite a few friends who are just as **** about their cars as you are. you can have your cake an eat it too.

Two local friends had immaculate F-bodies both with under 10K miles on them. Both had never been driven in rain or inclement weather. No nicks or scratches. Both were sold recently for TOP dollar. Both were raced EXTENSIVELY.

I have been that **** about cars before. I used to show in ISCA, and I used to judge a lot of car shows.

Now, I understand not wanting a cage, or the other safety equipment that is required. I understand the whole Miami/South beach idea about appearance being everything. I can even appreciate what you are saying about putting on your car cover to keep the humidity off, etc... In the end, it comes down to this. You have to drive the car. Public streets are just as bad as any racetrack if not worse. My car has taken for more damage to the paint, etc.. on the street than it ever has on a race track.

In the end, it comes down to the fact that your car will suffer a certain ammount of wear and tear on the street, on the track, or wherever it goes. The only way to prevent it totally is to put it in a cilmate controlled space and never let it see the light of the day. After that, its all about rationalizing it to yourself.

I have a buddy who was OCD about his truck. It took him hours to wash his truck. He'd crawl underneath it and scrub the exahust with an SOS pad. It looked like it was brand new. He polished the insides of his wheels, and for cast wheel, they looked like chrome. He polished the truck (by hand) so much he ended up rubbing through the paint in spots. Did he do himself a favor by running through the paint?

On the subject of big power on the street.

Anyhow, I've driven a max-effort Z06 H/C car on the street making 503RWHP . With Toyo Proxes Race tires or Et Streets it'll actually hook on the street. On stock F1SC's its like ice even in 3rd and 4th.

I driven a lot of fast cars on the street, especially small tired cars. It makes things intersting. I used to tune my car to run on small tires by tuning a bog into the carb to keep from overpowering the tires.

My buddy has a 730+RWHP turbo car. His solution was to put his in an AWD, before that was an APEXi AVC which controlled boost vs gear vs RPM, and made the car very drivable on the street even with big power.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Teching In

i dream of breaking 400 rwhp on my zo6
Old 01-26-2007, 12:06 AM
12 Second Club

Didnt read the whole post but for me.... 500+rwhp is fun, but damn Im already getting used to it. (hate it when that happens) Ill be honest... Im a hard one to please when it comes to HP. Ive ridden in some fast cars... and I normally walk away shrugging my shoulders. Not that I didnt like the feeling... but for some reason I am extremely comfortable with power and speed. Now that I have a 500+rwhp car I am looking even further, of course. Im not aiming at 1K... that will be for when Im building a full fledged (sp?) race car, then itll be 1K+.

Lately Ive have had thoughts of a LSX powered Chevelle and recently a tempting fetish for a GN. However, if I keep the SS I will be aiming for 850rwhp or so... thinking of a fully forged 383 on a nice chunk of boost, F1 maybe.

All I can say right now is 560rwhp is a kick in the *** on the street... although traction is a bitch even with 315 BFG DRs.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by J-Rod
SW is proof you can be OCD about your car, and still run your car at the track. He leaves a coat of way on the lower fenders, and puts tape on the fender well lips. I've even seen stuff in the wheel wells to keep them clean. Go look at them after he has run the car. You could never tell the car had rolled out of its climate controlled garage.

I understand your point, I understand your fanatacism, but.... Quite simply its your perspective, and it isn't factual. I have quite a few friends who are just as **** about their cars as you are. you can have your cake an eat it too.

Two local friends had immaculate F-bodies both with under 10K miles on them. Both had never been driven in rain or inclement weather. No nicks or scratches. Both were sold recently for TOP dollar. Both were raced EXTENSIVELY.

I have been that **** about cars before. I used to show in ISCA, and I used to judge a lot of car shows.

Now, I understand not wanting a cage, or the other safety equipment that is required. I understand the whole Miami/South beach idea about appearance being everything. I can even appreciate what you are saying about putting on your car cover to keep the humidity off, etc... In the end, it comes down to this. You have to drive the car. Public streets are just as bad as any racetrack if not worse. My car has taken for more damage to the paint, etc.. on the street than it ever has on a race track.

In the end, it comes down to the fact that your car will suffer a certain ammount of wear and tear on the street, on the track, or wherever it goes. The only way to prevent it totally is to put it in a cilmate controlled space and never let it see the light of the day. After that, its all about rationalizing it to yourself.

I have a buddy who was OCD about his truck. It took him hours to wash his truck. He'd crawl underneath it and scrub the exahust with an SOS pad. It looked like it was brand new. He polished the insides of his wheels, and for cast wheel, they looked like chrome. He polished the truck (by hand) so much he ended up rubbing through the paint in spots. Did he do himself a favor by running through the paint?

On the subject of big power on the street.

Anyhow, I've driven a max-effort Z06 H/C car on the street making 503RWHP . With Toyo Proxes Race tires or Et Streets it'll actually hook on the street. On stock F1SC's its like ice even in 3rd and 4th.

I driven a lot of fast cars on the street, especially small tired cars. It makes things intersting. I used to tune my car to run on small tires by tuning a bog into the carb to keep from overpowering the tires.

My buddy has a 730+RWHP turbo car. His solution was to put his in an AWD, before that was an APEXi AVC which controlled boost vs gear vs RPM, and made the car very drivable on the street even with big power.
We all should act according to our own perspective... Just so you know, I only drive my car once or twice a month for 20 miles or so... Will I make one of those drives 200 miles to the nearest track? I won't... In case you didn't know, there are no local tracks. That trip would paint-chip city, dude!

Factual? What about people's hobbies and tastes would be supported by facts? It's not like this is a bonafide "tech" thread asking about the measurements/specs of an automobile part... This thread prompts users about their tastes...
Old 01-26-2007, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

I have a stroker barely at 500 rwhp and 470 tq and have been contimplating building a bigger one but when I drive this one it still can be scary fast. I dont know how people keep these high hp motors planted to the ground, or does everyone just baby them around all the time. I am going for more cubes later this spring but 500 rwhp is enough power for any street car, especially a stroker with 470 tq and 3.90 gears.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

My GTO was quite drivable with the STS setup, and the lag from the rear mount actually helps a bit on the street. I'm swapping over to a twin front turbo from Australia. The builder specifically developed this kit with little turbos so the power is instantly available, but is going to run out of steam north of 550 or so. I'll have to see, but I really doubt I'll want to upgrade the turbos. This car is a daily driver that is extremely quiet [lots of add'l sound deadening laid on top of an already quiet car], with great sounds, etc. My vision for this car is a BMW M6 killer, not the ultimate race car.

I have a 1966 Mustang convertible that has had a ton of chassis mods [can you say a LOT of extra steel] that is going to be home for a blown 408 w/ 800+ crank hp. Stupid fast car, more show/cruising than racing...although I'm sure we'll have to go get kicked off of the drag strips [roll bars, not full cage...it IS a 'vert after all]. The thing is, all of this street racing w/ ultra high hp cars is just an invitation to a hospital, morgue, or jail. Racing at a decent strip is entirely different.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Resident

I'm suprised this thread lasted this long, lots of people on this site have over 500 horsepower...
Old 01-28-2007, 03:40 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,238 Likes on 789 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

600rwhp is a lot of fun, beyond that most folks have to start compromising handling for traction (mods).

I've screwed around with the current setup and with 1/3 throttle the car feels like it's low 11's.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Name:  P1210022.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  52.4 KB

350 cube, 92 octane ,TH400 3500stall,33X19.5 M/T's, 9"ford .

tuneup was fat on the dyno. I'll be happy if it runs 9's @3000 lbs.

heres a street datalog compared to the dyno log.

Name:  datalog.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  109.4 KB
Old 01-29-2007, 05:21 AM
10 Second Club

I hope to make 1000, My car made 600 a few years ago.

I worked at NLP for a few years.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark Donohue said it best to the Porsche 917 engine developers. To paraphrase: I'll have enough power when I can spin the tires at the end of the straight at Lemans.

look at the huge number of racers that run 7-8's every weekend at dragstrips all over the country..they're not hero drivers..just guys that got used to the power...some faster than others...some while still in high school.

When you make the big power, the mph range you feel comfortable in changes and you'll get used to hazing the tires at 120mph.

Nothing wrong with dreaming as long as you're working on your car rather than typing on the keyboard.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

Well I've read all of the thread and NO I'm not looking for anywhere close to 1000hp. Right now I drive a 320-340hp car with plans of mid to high 10's. A TRT stage 3 kit and one of their cams is going in when I get home from iraq in a few months. After talking to Billy at TRT he told me that he did an install on a car with the same set up as mine and saw 506 rwhp and 519 rwtq.

I have to agree with most everybody here though.
1. It will be a HUGE change in power
2. I will have to "re-learn" how to drive with that much power and starting slow with the car is the plan
3. People don't understand how much it costs
4. Some times the power comes before handling or skill with potentially tragic results

I'm into my car for about $4000 right now I think, I never keep track, and thats fine because I love it. I still have a $6000 turbo kit to buy, $900 clutch, $400 drive shaft, $2500 rear end, $525 TQ arm and panhard bar, $500 tune, $400 fuel rails and press reg, $400 push rods, $200 in fluids plugs filters ect, $2000 in wheels/tires and most likelly some more stuff that I'm forgeting. So whats that like $14,000 still to go. I did my research and I set a goal. Just as was said somewhere in one of the previous posts my goal has noithing to do with HP#'s. It has to do with preformance. The #'s are cool and fun to talk about but overall what ever it takes to get to my goal is what I'm going to do. If I get it with the above items... Fine. A year or two down the road when I want more I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

And to answer the next question. Yes it will be a DD
Old 02-04-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 381 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

More HP= better suspension= more HP= better suspension, ad nauseum. It never stops until you're out of money or dead.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Selki
Well I've read all of the thread and NO I'm not looking for anywhere close to 1000hp. Right now I drive a 320-340hp car with plans of mid to high 10's. A TRT stage 3 kit and one of their cams is going in when I get home from iraq in a few months. After talking to Billy at TRT he told me that he did an install on a car with the same set up as mine and saw 506 rwhp and 519 rwtq.

I have to agree with most everybody here though.
1. It will be a HUGE change in power
2. I will have to "re-learn" how to drive with that much power and starting slow with the car is the plan
3. People don't understand how much it costs
4. Some times the power comes before handling or skill with potentially tragic results

I'm into my car for about $4000 right now I think, I never keep track, and thats fine because I love it. I still have a $6000 turbo kit to buy, $900 clutch, $400 drive shaft, $2500 rear end, $525 TQ arm and panhard bar, $500 tune, $400 fuel rails and press reg, $400 push rods, $200 in fluids plugs filters ect, $2000 in wheels/tires and most likelly some more stuff that I'm forgeting. So whats that like $14,000 still to go. I did my research and I set a goal. Just as was said somewhere in one of the previous posts my goal has noithing to do with HP#'s. It has to do with preformance. The #'s are cool and fun to talk about but overall what ever it takes to get to my goal is what I'm going to do. If I get it with the above items... Fine. A year or two down the road when I want more I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

And to answer the next question. Yes it will be a DD
i might be that car he did it too...... car drives good and i do highway rolls when the clutch decides to work im very careful about how i race, i dont just race any civic that pulls next to me. my car is still on the drawing board for more parts to make it more this is my 1st V8 car and my first 500rwhp+ car and im only 21. i will honestly say i loved taking highway rolls to 130-140 when it wasnt turboed, but now i get there so fast and usually my competition would be miles behind me if i did that. i usually stop racing once me or the opponent pulls away. gotta be careful on the street. and i got some bad *** laser/radar "shifting" equiptment.

goodluck to all who want 500rwhp....... my car will be way more than what its at in a couple of years if i can manage my $$$ with my girl right

Quick Reply: How many 1000 hp dreamers have had over 500 rwhp?