Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

finally - new dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that torque number with the juice is why i want to put a bottle on my car. nitrous pro flow here i come..
Old 12-29-2006, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad30th
LOL. It's on the up and up, I promise. However, 501/470 from a 383 solid roller with 7psi is unusually low (and no offense intended but that's being kind), so you can't really use that to go by. Was it a Mustang dyno ?

There are stock CI cam only cars pushing mid 400's.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/219024-cam-only-dyno-thread.html

In fact, there's one in that thread with 518rwhp.

...and yes, with a blower, nitrous is compressed along with the air, lowers IAT and makes a shitload of torque. You might consider reading up a little on it.

Rob (Bad30th)
that doesnt even make sense without asking more about his setup.I make 530rwhp on my 383 with 7 psi.The cars not even breathing hard yet.And your not asking about compression ratio,cam,turbo size,etc.And your not asking about area under the curve.you wanna bet who has more area under the curve if 2 setups make the same hp but 1 is a 346 and the other is a 383 so long as the turbo isnt choking the bigger motor?
Old 12-29-2006, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

have you run your car at the track yet? when my new converter gets here we should run em
Old 12-29-2006, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

lmao....its in no way setup for the track.running on 245 18's when i grab 2nd it threw the car sideways at the track and i had to let out completely,straighten her out,and get back in it....and still trapped 118 lol.But on the street,the car seems to keep up with some decently quick cars.im saving for a 9" and just installed a dual stage manual boost controller,going to see Norris next week to see what she'll do giving some more boost.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
that doesnt even make sense without asking more about his setup.I make 530rwhp on my 383 with 7 psi.The cars not even breathing hard yet.And your not asking about compression ratio,cam,turbo size,etc.And your not asking about area under the curve.you wanna bet who has more area under the curve if 2 setups make the same hp but 1 is a 346 and the other is a 383 so long as the turbo isnt choking the bigger motor?
Yeah, I agree. However, he was doubting my numbers (as if I have any reason to go to the trouble to fake a dyno and lie about it on the net) because he didn't make as much with his obviously higher potential setup.

...so he probably has a bigger area under the curve, which I would expect from a blown solid roller stroker for chrissakes. ...and yeah, there are a lot of factors that enter into it (compression, cam, turbo/blower, etc).

...and now back to my thread. I'm really happy with my setup now that it's finally finished.

No more trying to prove myself to doubting knuckleheads.

A few things about me :
- i don't lie, and I respect my fellow car enthusiasts
- I would never fake a dyno, what kind of douchebag does that
- I have spent a shitload of time and money on this car and I'm finally happy to have it finished.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 12-29-2006, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

oh no no im not doubting your setup at all.i actually thought itd make more to me honest on the nitrous but id still be happy with those numbers.Im just pointing out that u cant just flatly say what that he's not making the power he should,when in reality if u and him were both M6's he's prolli win due to area under the curve.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

oh no no im not doubting your setup at all.i actually thought itd make more to me honest on the nitrous but id still be happy with those numbers.Im just pointing out that u cant just flatly say what that he's not making the power he should,when in reality if u and him were both M6's he's prolli win due to area under the curve.
Yeah man, I totally agree. I am looking forward to my local f-bud Ed Blown Vert getting his 383 back together with his new D1 so we can run 'em.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 12-29-2006, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bad30th
Yeah man, I totally agree. I am looking forward to my local f-bud Ed Blown Vert getting his 383 back together with his new D1 so we can run 'em.

Rob (Bad30th)
LMAO....he had the same motor that i currently have....his car got pissed off spraying with boost revving higher than he planned on with the spray with an A/F of 13:1.Erik did a nice job building these motors but they wont hold everything lol
Old 12-29-2006, 09:49 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a tough crowd here, funny when some dynos 8 bazillion hp and runs mid 11s they dont catch as much crap lol.

As far as the high torque, the converter was unlocked - the torque converter was doing exactly what it is supposed to to do. Throw a 50 shot on it and it will make a huge difference. Now lock the converter or put it on a dynojet with winpep7 software and it wont look like that anymore. My car with winpep6 on a dynojet was 660rwhp/880 rear wheel torque and with winpep7 it was 690rwhp/590tq, big difference there fo just changing software and a cam. So I lost 280rw torque and still ran .5 and 9mph faster in the 1/4 - go figure. Thats the pitfalls of dyno racing on the internet though
Old 12-29-2006, 09:57 PM
12 Second Club

LMAO....he had the same motor that i currently have....his car got pissed off spraying with boost revving higher than he planned on with the spray with an A/F of 13:1.Erik did a nice job building these motors but they wont hold everything lol
Yeah, heh, I know all about it. He bypassed his window switch on the spray and went to ~6800 hehe. I helped him pull the tranny and pull the motor after it popped not too long ago. It actually didn't look that bad until it was disassembled...

(Actually I also helped him originally put it in, too !).

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 12-29-2006, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
Its a tough crowd here, funny when some dynos 8 bazillion hp and runs mid 11s they dont catch as much crap lol.

As far as the high torque, the converter was unlocked - the torque converter was doing exactly what it is supposed to to do. Throw a 50 shot on it and it will make a huge difference. Now lock the converter or put it on a dynojet with winpep7 software and it wont look like that anymore. My car with winpep6 on a dynojet was 660rwhp/880 rear wheel torque and with winpep7 it was 690rwhp/590tq, big difference there fo just changing software and a cam. So I lost 280rw torque and still ran .5 and 9mph faster in the 1/4 - go figure. Thats the pitfalls of dyno racing on the internet though
I'm not caught up in dyno racing i'm just saying the torque from the spray will get me off the line very nicely and compliment my little ole blower.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:14 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
I'm not caught up in dyno racing i'm just saying the torque from the spray will get me off the line very nicely and compliment my little ole blower.
Didnt say anyone was caught up, just trying to explain whats going on There is no doubt nitrous works very well on blower cars - I picked up a bunch with a small dry shot on a blower at the track.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:18 PM
10 Second Club

how much did you spray and what did you pick up?

ultimately I wanna spray 150, but i know something will break lol.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:32 PM
kp
8 Second Club

i sprayed a 75 shot to 5500rpm only and shifted at 6500, my injectors/fuel pump was only good to 5500 or so so I shut it off early with a window switch.

Picked up .5 and 5mph, really helped the 60 foot.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

that's what i'm talking about
Old 12-29-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

So I'll put in another way - why are your torque numbers better than 99.9% of the people out there with a similar setup?

Your car is a very nice car. But is the torque difference because your car is somehow unusually splendid or unique in some performance way? Probably not, so the dyno and/or dyno operation is suspect.

Get a 2nd dyno somewhere else and I'll bet it is way different.

Jim
Old 12-30-2006, 12:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bad30th, don't waste any more money going to the dyno unless you are really determined to get a number to post to people. You have good info you got from this dyno. Don't get caught up in the internet dyno numbers game. I used dyno's pretty frequently, but I only use them for tuning now, not getting a number to brag about.

Dyno's are not very useful for comparing numbers as you can see by this thread from all the people posting about it should be this or that, use a different brand dyno, etc.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:20 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Frost
Whatever.... There are plenty of stick cars that are turbo's making that power struggling to get into 10s but with high traps. 2-steps break 6-speeds.
Most likely thier car is not setup for the track, which was the point I was getting at, another point is bad driver, they can really make a powerful car look like crap.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DeltaT
So I'll put in another way - why are your torque numbers better than 99.9% of the people out there with a similar setup?

Your car is a very nice car. But is the torque difference because your car is somehow unusually splendid or unique in some performance way? Probably not, so the dyno and/or dyno operation is suspect.

Get a 2nd dyno somewhere else and I'll bet it is way different.

Jim
unlocked converter helloooooooooo
Old 12-30-2006, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
unlocked converter helloooooooooo

The converter was unlocked, which multiplies the torque. If I locked the converter it would raise the HP and lower the torque (and probably f*ck up my $1k Continental converter's lockup clutch). Not worth it to prove anything here, IMHO.

Thanks for the advise Zombie - I'm not caught up in the dyno game at all. The only reason it went on the dyno in the first place was to get it tuned right so I can beat on it safely (and get some idea of what kind of power it's making). If I do put it back on the dyno it will be because I want to put my car on a dynojet at the same time as Ed Blown Vert's car to see how they compare.

As far as track times go, in my 3800# vert I am optimistic of running some low 11's, maybe high 10's if I can get a good launch and keep it straight. Who knows, maybe quicker but hopefully not any slower than mid 11's... Again, I don't have anything to prove but it's always nice to be paid off with some nice quick track times.

Thanks for all the advise and posts guys.

Rob (Bad30th)

Quick Reply: finally - new dyno numbers