Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New 1/4 and 1/8 mile bests today with the F1A

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007 | 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Congrats Kev, awesome time. Guess the SDCE set up can handle a F1 after all. So when you going out next
Old 01-15-2007 | 01:47 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by onfire
Kev, you're combo is light years ahead of me, but I can tell ya the meth results on my combo. IAT's before was around 168F running 10.0 at 139. Bought Julios kit and ran the same boost setting, etc and ran 9.9 at 141 with IAT's around 110F. I tuned it super conservative at 11.9 : 1 without the meth and let the meth bring it down to 11.5 :1 . I'm using a single M15 nozzle with it set to activate at 7psi with the ramp at 50%. Makes 7 passes on a 2 quart tank.

Don't know how it would effect that super duper BS3 wideband though.
I can just tune it without the closed loop and then add the meth or just set the closed loop to whatever target A/F I want with the meth running. It will just add or subtract fuel from the injectors so it stays at whatever a/f I tell it.

I usualy make 7-8 passes a trip to the track so that would work, I really dont think I'll need it when its cool out but the meth may be a good idea if I leave this blower on it in the summer.
Old 01-15-2007 | 01:50 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by obZidian
there you go! I understand that maybe you really dont want to add more stuff and do the best you can with what you have.... but a meth kit is a good buy and cost effective.

Get a few more ponies and bringing down the temps at the same time. Its worth a look..

congrates brotha!! 8's... then 7's!! You can only go slower from there unless you really want it...
I'm trying to avoid all the hassle of having a 'real' race car, been 7s before (almost 6s) and you just rach a point where the car is a pain in the *** and I dont want that. I do everything on the car at home and at the track and you just cant do that with a 7 second car
Old 01-15-2007 | 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

well, come on kp, you gotta give yourself more credit than that. SUre you can build it at home.... as soon as you add that new wing with 20ft ceiling, lift, air source and about a few techies... your good to go!!
Old 01-15-2007 | 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mike thats alot of good info for quite a few of us shooting for that elusive 8 sec pass this YR. Ill keep the Alky in mind.....
Old 01-15-2007 | 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Awesome runs & soon ya'll get into eight

peace
Old 01-15-2007 | 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats man, now on to the eights!
Old 01-15-2007 | 02:11 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by andereck
Still 160 deg IAT isn't all that bad considering the boost level. Besides with C16 there shouldn't be any detonation issues where you're playing. If you could get the IAT down there might be a bit of a power increase, bit I don't see it saving your gaskets. How many SBF's with stock blocks can claim to make 900+ hp? They use locwire's to seal them up before getting to that level, and that's an iron block.

I figure (I'm guessing actually) that your cheapie intercooler is running about 66%+ efficient at the top of high gear, and that ain't bad considering. I assumed a 12deg increase per pound of boost and 73 deg ambient.
I agree Mark, 160 isnt that bad for nearly 20psi on a 347. I dont doubt it might have been detonating a little though, I was running 112 sunoco and half of it has been sitting it my tank for over a month so it loses a little zip sitting around I'm sure. I poured a few gallons of fresh stuff in but who knows where the octane is really.

Its not really easy to find C16 around here and at almost 10.00 a gallon I cant afford to have a drum of that sitting around but i get some for the next time.

I really think with a little cooler weather, fresh head gaskets. colder plugs, C16, a little more fuel and a little less timing up top I can get an 8. Then I'll run the D1 over the summer and wait for some of those fancy new blocks to come around and save the F1A for a little fancier engine

FWIW, I did a leakdown and compression on this a little while ago and its still exactly as it was after I ran it the first time so I just cant justify doing another engine yet.

Originally Posted by cablebandit
kp how much power do you think you are putting down at the track?
I really have no idea Jerry, 740 or so probably, its probably close to 900 flywheel if you dont count what the blower is taking to drive it.

Originally Posted by frcfed98
Congrats Kev, awesome time. Guess the SDCE set up can handle a F1 after all. So when you going out next
Bet you never thought it would go this far did ya Rumor has it BG will be opening in a few weeks so I'm going to swap head gaskets, put some new valvesprings and seals on the heads while they are off and maybe go through the trans quick. Trans has been working great so I hate to fix what isnt broke. May swap to a 3.50 tpp but I'm really not that concerned with the MPH and I do a lot more 1/8 racing so I may leave the 3.70 in it.
Old 01-15-2007 | 02:19 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by obZidian
well, come on kp, you gotta give yourself more credit than that. SUre you can build it at home.... as soon as you add that new wing with 20ft ceiling, lift, air source and about a few techies... your good to go!!
What I need is a couple dedicated guys to go to the track and help with the BS stuff like washing the car, cleaning the rubber off underneath and loading and unloading the car - thats what gets tiring lol. Plus some help in the burnout and on the starting line at the track would be nice too, when people see this thing they dont figure it runs what it does and I cant even get help getitng in the water at times - its a pain when you are strapped in and cant see ****.

My wife tries to help but with a 4 and 7 year old she cant go up to the line and if this car isnt staged straight it goes pretty quick in whatever direction its pointed in. I'm about at my 'pain in the *** limit' with this car
Old 01-15-2007 | 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp
Bet you never thought it would go this far did ya Rumor has it BG will be opening in a few weeks so I'm going to swap head gaskets, put some new valvesprings and seals on the heads while they are off and maybe go through the trans quick. Trans has been working great so I hate to fix what isnt broke. May swap to a 3.50 tpp but I'm really not that concerned with the MPH and I do a lot more 1/8 racing so I may leave the 3.70 in it.
Nope never in a million years did I think it would push bottom nines high eights

Cool can't wait to see the next vid with a 8.86 flash up....my prediction and i'm sticking to it Watching the vid the car looks so smooth...almost like its cruising down the 1/4.

J
Old 01-15-2007 | 06:01 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Nope never in a million years did I think it would push bottom nines high eights

Cool can't wait to see the next vid with a 8.86 flash up....my prediction and i'm sticking to it Watching the vid the car looks so smooth...almost like its cruising down the 1/4.

J
It does drive nice, i just have to do something about it bottoming out when I get on the brakes hard at some of these tracks. Going to try some of those Afco rubber bumpers in the shocks so it wont drop as hard when I let off and hit the brakes. The front end dives so much on the brakes the front tires rub the top of the inner fenders and it throws melted pastic all over the side of the car.
Old 01-15-2007 | 06:06 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by kp
What I need is a couple dedicated guys to go to the track and help with the BS stuff like washing the car, cleaning the rubber off underneath and loading and unloading the car - thats what gets tiring lol. Plus some help in the burnout and on the starting line at the track would be nice too, when people see this thing they dont figure it runs what it does and I cant even get help getitng in the water at times - its a pain when you are strapped in and cant see ****.

My wife tries to help but with a 4 and 7 year old she cant go up to the line and if this car isnt staged straight it goes pretty quick in whatever direction its pointed in. I'm about at my 'pain in the *** limit' with this car
I wouldn't think you would have any problems getting some guys to help. A lot of guys enjoy being able to help on a quick car. It would be a real hassle with no one around. Bob
Old 01-15-2007 | 06:17 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I wouldn't think you would have any problems getting some guys to help. A lot of guys enjoy being able to help on a quick car. It would be a real hassle with no one around. Bob
Well you would think, this isnt really a big drag racing town like Chicago was, never had a problem finding guys to go racing with. But since I've only lived here a few years I dont have huge friend base plus most guys cant keep my kind of schedule - they have those job things
Old 01-15-2007 | 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Come on now, who wouldn't want to help you out? That sucks to hear, I thought LS1tech was a tight community. Anyone in TN want to crew for kev, he'll buy all the hot dogs, pizza and track burgers you can eat

Wow, does anyone make a limiter to help dive on decel?
Old 01-15-2007 | 06:45 PM
9 Second Club

I think meth helps the EGTs a lot but I could be wrong. Kev I got some new 96# injectors that will be here in 3 days if you want to use them for a few months. I dont think stud thickness/strength is the prob. I think its just time to change the gaskets. You got a lot of passes out of those. It did read like you only had like 3 passes out of them. As far as meth, i ran 10 passes 1.5 years ago with NO intercoolers....IATs were 245 or so by the end of the runs...93+ meth. Granted i was only running 10.0-1 but it didnt knock.....and i still was able to drive home from Montgomery.
Old 01-15-2007 | 07:07 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by frcefed98

Wow, does anyone make a limiter to help dive on decel?
I think some big bumpers on the shocks will do it, thats what they use on the 7000lb diesel pickup I have in the front

These right here is what I'm thinking of trying:

http://www.secureperformanceorder.co...ProductID=5051

I think meth helps the EGTs a lot but I could be wrong. Kev I got some new 96# injectors that will be here in 3 days if you want to use them for a few months. I dont think stud thickness/strength is the prob. I think its just time to change the gaskets. You got a lot of passes out of those. It did read like you only had like 3 passes out of them. As far as meth, i ran 10 passes 1.5 years ago with NO intercoolers....IATs were 245 or so by the end of the runs...93+ meth. Granted i was only running 10.0-1 but it didnt knock.....and i still was able to drive home from Montgomery.
I have some 83lb injectors here, just dont like to change more then one thing at once. These still have a little more left and I dont need a whole lot. Like I said I dont plan on making this an 8 second race car, i'm just close so I may as well try to get there. I changed the head gaskets back in August and have a lot of passes on them, I just made two passes with the new blower and I could see some sealent sticking out between the head and block. I didnt mean I just got two passes out of a new set of gaskets - I ran the car 24 times last year and swapped gaskets when I did the BS3 in early August so its got some runs on them.

I may try the meth when it warms up out, but I'm going to give it another shot with some new head gaskets, C16, colder plugs and hopefuly some cooler weather
Old 01-15-2007 | 07:32 PM
9 Second Club

Hell yes you ARE making it a 8 sec car.....us slow pokes live thru you and we want our 8 sec KP post!!! I didnt look up the plugs you and Mike are using but Steve Petty told me not to use projected tip plugs for our heads.....dunno if he was right but I switched just the same.
Old 01-15-2007 | 08:09 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Hell yes you ARE making it a 8 sec car.....us slow pokes live thru you and we want our 8 sec KP post!!! I didnt look up the plugs you and Mike are using but Steve Petty told me not to use projected tip plugs for our heads.....dunno if he was right but I switched just the same.
I use whatever plugs are on sale at wal-mart

It may make an 8 seocnd pass but it wont be an 8 second race car lol. I came pretty close to selling the car a week ago, got a real good offer on it, but its been a good car and its always drove on the trailer..
Old 01-16-2007 | 12:41 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

I really like hearing about the progress your making with the car. You just don't throw a bunch of parts at it and hope it runs. You really get the most out of your set up! You really make me want to get my car back out! Keep up the good work!!!!
Old 01-16-2007 | 09:48 PM
8 Second Club

FWIW-Guys in the NMRA renegade class see IAT temps in the 400 degree range, they too only have 10 bolts holding down the head and they typically see 30psi. They also use dam big cams-like in the 240 range-but they are hydraulic roller. Andereck what's your thoughts-are we missing something here? Kp-I read your post and see your results and just say damn! Maybe I should just ditch this F1R and get a F1A-wanna swap?

Quick Reply: New 1/4 and 1/8 mile bests today with the F1A