Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Turbo Drivetrain problems??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STS Turbo Drivetrain problems??

I was just wondering if anybody has had any problems with their drivetrain(transmission, rearend,etc..)who has purchased an STS Turbo kit for the Ls1? I ask this because ive got some mixed feelings about the added power... i mean ive heard that the 4L60E cant hold up to an extra 100 horspower nd that the rearend was just never built to hold the cars stock power. So i ask this to see if anybody can get rid of my fears of blowing my rearend or just flatout destroying my transmission. Keep in mind that i do have a stock drivetrain setup nd that im not really wanting to have to swap anything out because it just couldnt handle it.. thanks to those in advance who give me any information on what i might end up doing if i buy this kit..
Old 01-26-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock rear-end is stronger on the autos. Many people on here with either trannies are pushing well more than a 100hp over stock with no problems...the T56 is stronger though.

A lot of guys on here are making 450 - 500rwhp on the stock drivetrain as you put it with no problems...just limit the amount of dig races you do (especially at the track) and be careful with sticky tires...those could kill the rear-end very fast.

I have yet to drive mine as it is still under contruction. My fear was that it would blow the rear-end on the dyno (that would suck!). But, I've talked with quite a few people on here that have helped ease my worries. I will be saving up for a 12 bolt nonetheless.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anytime you add 100 HP over stock to a car, anything could happen to the rear. The A4's have alot better luck with them than the M6's do though. But there's a " I blew my 10 bolt post after power adder" post weekly. From a roll, you'll be fine. From a dig, you'll run into trouble.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Yeah thats wat i was thinking to bcause i have read alot on the a4 alowing the rearend to last longer nd i did decide not to buy the et streets i was considering.... i mean not that i dont care for traction just that id rather let my rearend live a little longer ! thanks for the info on that.. i really hope that if i do go with the kit that it(being my rearend) lasts atleast 2 months...by then ill have some money for the famous 12 bolt!! but i really do hate rearend swaps ive done it twice on my previous vehicle nd i would shoot myself if i had to do it again with in a year!!
Old 01-26-2007, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

i have both stock tranny and rear, and i'm being tuned for 8psi! i'm picking up the car next week, so i'll let you know how things will hold up!
Old 01-26-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

im beting it wont hold up to well....suporting mods...first before adding 100+hp power adder...
Old 01-26-2007, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

If the rear end has the stock gears in it, it's stronger than you might think. I added a ARP stud kit to the carrier + a TA cover. Also added some rear suspension parts (LCA's, torque arm) to stop wheel hop. Wheel hop, not pure power, is what will destroy the rear differential. I've launched with DR's at 4500RPM on a M6 several times. Car's got 426RWHP. Even more since tuning it. The stock rear is certainly cheap, but it's not made of glass!

......Now the stock clutch....that bit the dust after adding only a cam
Old 01-28-2007, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock rear here too and im close if not over 500. i say for apice of mine put a girdle on it and run lucas gear oil. i also have a m6. a friend of mine has a sts 3800 stall and his rear went tranny is holding though at 450 hp 480tq. he also did a bigger tranny cooler ftw
Old 01-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Teching In

oh im sure you will be fine! If im right or not if the rear end is the same as in a 96 Z M6 i had a 396 stroker with 532RWHP with lake woods LCA ILE sways on swaped the axles and TA cover handled it well with 25,000miles til some bouche bag smacked me up totaling my baby off! They are prety strong as long as u get that cover on there and torque up the bearing bolts