Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

L92's Turbo & blown Copper head gaskets...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
Well that's a BIG problem. You have to let the engine warm up to full temp 200 deg. Then let the engine cool completely off, then loosen each nut a half a turn and retorque! Only do one nut at a time using your normal torque pattern. If you don't do that your copper gaskets will NEVER seal!

If you mark each nut before you loosen it you will be suprised how much further they will turn.
Possibly....maybe. I torqued the heads 3 times on the stand over a 2 day time period, once heating the heads with a heat gun in the ports for 20 mins. i have had no issues with SBC's and this method. Bottom line is I have grown a hate for the gen3 engines and their SBF shitty bolt pattern. That's right. A small block ford head will bolt down on one of these engines if you don't know. Comparing the mod motors and the LSx engines you can tell GM stole a Ford engineer to design these engines; especially looking at the lower main webbing.
I have lost all respect over the LSx engine that I onced loved. I will continue to build SB & BBC's in the future and not worry about blowing head gaskets like I used to laugh about. The Mustang boys blowing them 10 years ago with a cam and a 150 shot.
GM has deleted the manual tranny option on the trucks now and have a 1964 Ford head bolt technology so I guess i'll have to go with a Toyota next time.
Thanks for ya'lls input.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:28 AM
9 Second Club

thats a little harsh.There are guys running 7s with these motors with alot more boost then you ran.Me personally I run 15psi with stock heads,gaskets,Head bolts for over a year and a half now with no probs
Old 02-01-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SuperZ
thats a little harsh.There are guys running 7s with these motors with alot more boost then you ran.Me personally I run 15psi with stock heads,gaskets,Head bolts for over a year and a half now with no probs
I know. That is what makes me sick. Most of you don't have a clue of the issues i've had with this engine. I know it has been done, but I haven't. Hell, you never know. I may just throw these new GM MLS's on it since it will be easier and see what happens. I do know 1 thing, 10 head bolts suck and the Warlock block and even GM themselves have proven it with the LSX block. I have no clue who is responsible for this design flaw but I hope hes/her that is as is fired. Chevy has dominated over the years because of its interchangability, reliability, and interchagability. GM didn't make any changes to a sbc in 37 years because it was good and they stuck with it. Ford made 7 changes in 10 years trying to keep up with almost no interchangable parts. That is why chevy has dominated for years. But now with the gen2 and the gen3 & 4 with very little changes here recently is showing the desperateness of Ford in the previous years trying to keep up or just frequent exchange of design engineers due to competition...which very such probably resulted in the LSx engines getting a crappy 10 bolt FORD crappy head bolt sequence.......do you see the pattern here?
I'm no idiot and have taken my tricyle a trip around the neighborhood a time or two.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SuperZ
There are guys running 7s with these motors with alot more boost then you ran.
Can you tell me how often W2W has to pull the heads?
Old 02-01-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
I guess i'll have to go with a Toyota next time.
Thanks for ya'lls input.

nah at least toyota made one good car since they came on the scene

sorry to hear about your, problems btw.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:07 AM
9 Second Club

w2w runs 6s.Others run 7s and 8s and Im sure they pull the heads but not everyrun.Try the MLS gaskets.goodluck
Old 02-01-2007, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry for the rant last night guys but I was pissed. Do to the much less work to get it running i'm going against my better judgement and putting the MLS GM gaskets on it with the o rings. One last shot. I should have it running today.
I agree that much more power has been done with these engines. I'm going to torque the studs to 85lbs with the arp moly lube and we will see what happens in time.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i think you are trying too hard, o-ringing and copper gaskets are waay ahead of what you are trying to do. an all stock engine could handle 6psi no problem.

make sure the block is FLAT (not with a piece of paper), heads are flat and both machined correctly. the mill on those heads does look too fast.

just put down stock mls gaskets and a normal tq and it will be fine.

there is an error, there is no ghost, these engines don't suck, and everything will be find if you just calm down and take a step back to see the big picture.

it wouldnt be a bad idea to double check some other things like are the injectors clean, is your fuel pressure solid, that you have the correct tune in the computer etc.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Teching In

I think you need to ditch the truck and get a Corvette like you used to have!! DA!!

Just an opinion from your big brother. Bet my vette will outrun your truck! Oh, that's right, your truck hasn't run more than 1000 miles without a major problem. Huh?
Old 02-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Old 02-01-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

Maybe you should switch to something stronger that the silver bullet.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Coal Mining Director

If you use MLS, ya better read up on the surface finish spec for the heads/block.....it's not like your pic. It's almost a polished spec per cometic.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:45 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Mark that suxs. How many miles on the motor? Hope the new gaskets work.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Best of luck man! I really want to see your truck up and running.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:21 PM
High on diesel fumes

Sell me your turbo kit!

Oh, and good luck getting the motor running....
Old 02-01-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
Ok, the specs on this engine at the time of failure is:
370 ci
9.0:1 comp, 223/218 114 cam
front mount PT76-gts FMIC
L92 heads stock
6psi
16* timing
10.5:1 afr
ARP studs tqed to 70lbs with arp moly lube

Only about 1000 miles on engine, O-ringed block, and SCE solid copper .040" gaskets. From the markings it looks like they have been blowing by more than once.
Heads and block were checked flat and hand stoned before assembly and oringing.
As a note, previously I had 317 heads with all the same specs above but 13psi and 11.7:1 afr and when I pulled the heads they factory MLS gaskets had been blowing by on the center two cyls as well with ARP bolts.
Does this look like a common problem with factory heads that only have a 3/8" deck? Is the only fix for this aftermarket heads with a 3/4" deck? I'm plum fed up.

Hot plugs like TR6's dont help detonation which is a good cause of lifting the heads. Look into it.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Hot plugs like TR6's dont help detonation which is a good cause of lifting the heads. Look into it.
TR6's are perfecty fine for his boost level and power.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i think you are trying too hard, o-ringing and copper gaskets are waay ahead of what you are trying to do. an all stock engine could handle 6psi no problem.

make sure the block is FLAT (not with a piece of paper), heads are flat and both machined correctly. the mill on those heads does look too fast.

just put down stock mls gaskets and a normal tq and it will be fine.

there is an error, there is no ghost, these engines don't suck, and everything will be find if you just calm down and take a step back to see the big picture.

it wouldnt be a bad idea to double check some other things like are the injectors clean, is your fuel pressure solid, that you have the correct tune in the computer etc.
Injectors are brand new, tune is very conservative since I am constantly tuning on it(I had just got a new wideband and started leaning it out) and fuel pressure is 60psi at 0 boost and using an aeromotive boost sensing regulator. I was watching at the wideband when they blew and it was a steady 10.5-10.6. I'm running a 3 bar SD with no MAF or O2's.
I will say that the only flaw i've found with the gen3 engines is the 10 head bolts, everything else is better. They took 20 steps forward then 1 step back with the 10 head bolts
The block is flat the best I can tell. I used a straight edge on the deck and a piece of paper would not slide under it anywhere. The paper is .003" thick and machine shops typically use a .002" feeler gauge. There is pretty much no better way of checking for trueness without skimming it with a surfacer/grinder or having it set up with a dial indicator and that is almost impossible to do in the truck and if I pull the engine the turbo will not be going back on it.
I spent 1 hour this morning with a hone smoothing the head surfaces. The heads are machined from GM for use with MLS gaskets so you think they would be/are in spec. They are smooth now.

As I said before I lifted the heads before with the same engine specs and a set of 317's and MLS gaskets on 13 psi. I think there is just some serious limitations with factory heads and boost.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 68charcoal
I think you need to ditch the truck and get a Corvette like you used to have!! DA!!

Just an opinion from your big brother. Bet my vette will outrun your truck! Oh, that's right, your truck hasn't run more than 1000 miles without a major problem. Huh?
And it took you 15 years to crank yours and you might have put 1000 miles on it in the past 2 years that it has ran. You have to drive them to break them.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2bseen
Mark that suxs. How many miles on the motor? Hope the new gaskets work.
Thanks, 800-1000 miles. And most of that was a leisurely cruise to the coast and back.

Quick Reply: L92's Turbo & blown Copper head gaskets...