Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

L92's Turbo & blown Copper head gaskets...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 05:18 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO I wouldnt run copper gaskets without a receiver groove, only time I ever ran no reciever groove in the head was when using o-rings with composite gaskets. I used to use copper gaskets in a lot big power nitrous SBCs and BBCs and there is no way I would use them in a daily driven street car for the water issues as mentioned above.

Brains, I would try to find some .041 copper wire to stick in there and use MLS gaskets. I used to use the copper wire on blocks that were o-ringed for copper gaskets when switching back to composite or steel gaskets. Not easy to find, its used for breakaway safety wire in airplanes usually.

The whole head gasket thing is nothing new really, I had the same problems with 'real' pontiacs and BBC blocks without the 'extra' inner head bolts with 200+ shots of nitrous. I think people are getting greedy with these and its amazing they seal as well as they do for the hardware involved.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my block is o-ringed and i'm thinking i sould get a receiver groove cut into my AFR's...

Quick Reply: L92's Turbo & blown Copper head gaskets...