Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

damn Hi-Flo!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default damn Hi-Flo!

last night i go to put in my steering shaft and it hits the passenger header while i tryed to put it in, so im like maybe ill be lucky and its becasue i need to loosen the header then slide the steering shaft in then it will fit. so i loosen the header and slide the steering shaft in and tighten the header. i then go into the car and turn the wheel and all i hear is "clunk,clunk,clunk,clunk" and its hard to turn.. it dosent freaking fit!!!!!!!! so i went crazy and i was ready to just throw the header across the sreet. i was so pissed i was considering just selling it and going N/A and nitrous.

so after i cooled down, i took the header out and banged the **** out of it where it hits and i got a good quarter of an inch out of it, also im going to barly grind down the steering shaft, i know its a bad idea but i need every 1/100th inch i can get. so if it dosent fit now im screwed bad, i cant aford to get new piping made.

thanks hi-flo for making me hate one of the things i truly love
Old 02-01-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't feel too bad... A defective ring in my motor got a piston to lose a chunk which then screwed up the bearings and scored the crankshaft in several areas... You are still not the "most-delayed" turbo project here.

Anyhow, how the HELL could this be if they test-fitted a prototype that worked and there are users here that have running kits? Either users here have addressed this in some way (meaning there's a solution) or you received a header that was fabbed up incorrectly different from theirs (Uh-oh).

Can you tell if grinding will create enough room?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Don't feel too bad... A defective ring in my motor got a piston to lose a chunk which then screwed up the bearings and scored the crankshaft in several areas... You are still not the "most-delayed" turbo project here.

Anyhow, how the HELL could this be if they test-fitted a prototype that worked and there are users here that have running kits? Either users here have addressed this in some way (meaning there's a solution) or you received a header that was fabbed up incorrectly different from theirs (Uh-oh).

Can you tell if grinding will create enough room?
nope i cant tell im just praying it will fit. also hi-flo made each kit diffrent, some giuys got a quarter inch inbetween the pipes and crank and i got like an inch and a half
Old 02-01-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didint go through ur whole build so u may ahve this issue covered but if u aitn runnin solid motor mounts u are gonan have to take a **** ton outta the headers and the shaft. If u have solids then u shold be ok. GL man!!

John
Old 02-01-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep in mind that no 2 cars are alike. I know I went from a stock K-member to a BMR tubular and my motor shifted about 3/8" to the driver's side.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Hi-Flo is sooo loved on this board. They must hate getting on here.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hi flo on this board? Get outta here...

Have you checked your motor mounts - the rubber does rot... (consider Prothane Poly Mounts from Thunder Racing), and/or considered shimming the motor mount on that side? It may be better than grinding and denting.

If your engine has dropped slightly due to a worn mount, that could be the reason for the ill fitment. (or I could make a comment about 'welded by blind monkeys' here )
Old 02-01-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't really think that they get on here anymore... If they do it's not on their screen name...
Old 02-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What part hits? Is it the shaft itself, or the joint.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Many people have solved the problems you're having by installing a spacer plate under the motor mount perch. Definitely better than banging the crap out of stuff, but its too late for that now
Old 02-01-2007, 04:41 PM
10 Second Club

Well just fair worning I had a GMR Speed kit. The log was so close to the steering shaft it actually melted the rubber bushing in the steering shaft giving me alot of steering wheel play. I am now buying new one.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same thing with my header, bangged it out I think Iam good now.

[QUOTE=bboyferal]Don't feel too bad... A defective ring in my motor got a piston to lose a chunk which then screwed up the bearings and scored the crankshaft in several areas... You are still not the "most-delayed" turbo project here.

I think I hold that title, 2yrs of bullshit/small claims/stiffed by Hiflo/ you name it I dealt with it. Still not driving it, soon enough tho...

P.S anyone seen BIll or Marko??
Old 02-01-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Whistler
What part hits? Is it the shaft itself, or the joint.
the top of the joint

Originally Posted by Brains
Many people have solved the problems you're having by installing a spacer plate under the motor mount perch. Definitely better than banging the crap out of stuff, but its too late for that now
can i just go to home depot and buy a 1/2inch sheet of metal, cut out a square, drill holes, and slide it under? do i need anything else like longer bolts?

Originally Posted by 02SSLE
Well just fair worning I had a GMR Speed kit. The log was so close to the steering shaft it actually melted the rubber bushing in the steering shaft giving me alot of steering wheel play. I am now buying new one.
thats already happened to anoth hiflo-guy, i already bought tons of wrap for it

Originally Posted by SELLSZ06
I had the same thing with my header, bangged it out I think Iam good now.
how much banging did u do? also u haevnt started your car yet right? well ill let u know if it works
Old 02-01-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I started the car, there were some leaks, guess where... manifolds. took them of and rewelded it, I dont have the DP connected to anything yet, oil pressure was kinda high at idle 80psi, and the cam sensor on the new engine is not working for some reason. just little things to finish tuning it next week.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bboyferal
... You are still not the "most-delayed" turbo project here.

hell yea.... i'm still waiting as well!!! i guess this is the way it goes though... if you want to be turbocharged, your gonna have to wait!!
Old 02-01-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

I think I hold that title, 2yrs of bullshit/small claims/stiffed by Hiflo/ you name it I dealt with it. Still not driving it, soon enough tho...
Damn... Dude, I guess you beat me fair and square.

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
hell yea.... i'm still waiting as well!!! i guess this is the way it goes though... if you want to be turbocharged, your gonna have to wait!!
Damn... Why the hell are we all doing this, again?

2002/Black/SS: Man, I hope messing with your motor mounts gives you enough room. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

P.S anyone seen BIll or Marko??
I actually have been at it for 2.5 years
Old 02-02-2007, 06:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn, my car has been down for a month and I can hardly stand it. You guys have to be crazy by now. Don't give up.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02SSLE
We actually started doing Flaming River steering shafts that got rid of that problem.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
can i just go to home depot and buy a 1/2inch sheet of metal, cut out a square, drill holes, and slide it under? do i need anything else like longer bolts?
Yeah, that's basically it. Get the longer bolts and make sure they're class 10.9 (metric equiv. of grade 8).