Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Quieter Procharger??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 04:19 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboGTO
KP, you are absolutely right. I don't think I will ever master all the acronyms out here. I thought people were using D1 & D1SC to refer to the same blower.

ATI does make a D1 and a D1SC and both are still available. The D1 is an old design, oils via the motor and according to ATI is considerable louder than the D1SC which has self contained oiling(hence the SC). I think this explains why some people are saying the D1 is really loud. My fault.

Gears aside, I think the main reason the Vortech is so quiet is that it uses the stock GM air filter box, which was undoubtedly designed to be extra quiet.
I think around here is safe to say D1 and people assume D1SC but I seen the LT1 car and I have seen a couple regular D1s on LT1s

I have heard some fairly loud Vortechs, I doint thin a T trim is silent compared to a quieter D1. I think the smaller blowers are 'sq' which have helical cut gears instead of straight. I have never really noticed any noise from the intake, most of the noise comes from the geartrain. No reason to be any louder then a turbo except for the straight cut gears driving it..
Old 03-09-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You learn something new every day. ooopps. I didn't know they made a D1... I've got a d1sc.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

Here is what my p1 sounds like.

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/bfdfc...ec011e5649.htm
Old 03-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Anyone have more sound/video clips of the P1?
Old 03-09-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

I think the smaller blowers are 'sq' which have helical cut gears instead of straight.
That was my point above. Vortech doesn't advertise it, but they do make a V-2 SQ (Superquiet) T-trim that would be a good choice if you added your own FMIC.

I also have a G-body with a custom A2A FMIC that I am in the process of going from a V-2 SQ S-trim to a V-2 SQ T-trim.

Jim

My Sleeper Site: http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html
Old 03-09-2007, 07:00 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by DeltaT
That was my point above. Vortech doesn't advertise it, but they do make a V-2 SQ (Superquiet) T-trim that would be a good choice if you added your own FMIC.

I also have a G-body with a custom A2A FMIC that I am in the process of going from a V-2 SQ S-trim to a V-2 SQ T-trim.

Jim

My Sleeper Site: http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html
Yes you did, but I missed it The giant pic under you drew my attention..
Old 03-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Thanks Packy! Great Video!!

You're P1SC doesn't sound all that loud. Your exhaust, on the other hand, I would have to agree with your cameraperson...
Old 03-10-2007, 05:58 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

My H/C upgrade left something to be desired, so I have contacted Bob at EPP for a Procharger install. Goal is 500 RWHP. He feels this is a safe streetable number for a stock bottom end. I really want to keep the car quiet(still has stock exhaust). I'm old. What can I say? Flame me if you must.

Anyway I know the Vortech S/C stuff is quieter than Procharger, but I don't really like the Vortech blower placement or the air/water intercooler.

My question: I must decide between the D1 & P1. Bob says both blowers will make the number easily and he feels I may as well go D1 as it is only a few hundred more.

I personally heard a P1 on a brand new Vette(automatic car) out at ASSC that they just finished up. I could hear the rattle from under the hood, but not from inside the car. I could hear the whistle everywhere, but it wasn't too bad.

I have never heard a D1 in person. Is the D1 louder than the P1?

Do you guys know any tricks for quieting them down? I have heard more bends in the inlet tube quiets down the whistle. Will the SDCE bracket help? Any ideas?

Thanks!
Stop by my shop and I'll give you a ride in one of the cars at our shop that has an ATI ProCharger. I don't think they are too loud, and you can see for yourself. Bob
Old 03-10-2007, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

One more vid.

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/506b2...19000c5c32.htm
Old 03-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks Packy. I thought for sure you were gonna go for another blast around the parking lot. Normal driving noise is what I'm interested in.

Someone told me that the Vortech Race Bypass Valve would be quieter than the stock Procharger valve. I guess I'll just let Bob fiddle with that tuning stuff and get it as quiet as he can.

I still have to tell him P1SC or D1SC. ATI tells me the P1SC and D1SC use the same compressor housing, but the PISC uses a cut down compressor wheel from the D1SC and that the D1SC uses tougher bearings. Obviously the D1SC would be spinning slower than the P1SC. Any thoughts which one would be quieter in a stock type 7-8 psi configuration?
Old 03-10-2007, 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks Packy. I thought for sure you were gonna go for another blast around the parking lot. Normal driving noise is what I'm interested in.

Someone told me that the Vortech Race Bypass Valve would be quieter than the stock Procharger valve. I guess I'll just let Bob fiddle with that tuning stuff and get it as quiet as he can.

I still have to tell him P1SC or D1SC. ATI tells me the P1SC and D1SC use the same compressor housing, but the PISC uses a cut down compressor wheel from the D1SC and that the D1SC uses tougher bearings. Obviously the D1SC would be spinning slower than the P1SC. Any thoughts which one would be quieter in a stock type 7-8 psi configuration?
I think that they both sound the same. My buddy used to have a D1 and mine was louder than his. I had a 3.7" pulley on mine and he had a 4.0" on his. We made the same thing powerwise.

I say get the D1-SC because it will allow you room to grow if you desire. I wish that I had got the D1-SC...

If you get it and don't like it. I will trade my P1 for your D1.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:54 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by Packy
I think that they both sound the same. My buddy used to have a D1 and mine was louder than his. I had a 3.7" pulley on mine and he had a 4.0" on his. We made the same thing powerwise.

I say get the D1-SC because it will allow you room to grow if you desire. I wish that I had got the D1-SC...

If you get it and don't like it. I will trade my P1 for your D1.
I agree. Bob
Old 03-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Teching In

OK Bob,

I'm leaving my Camaro in your hands. You know what I want. Make it fast and keep it quiet.

I'll call you tomorrow.

TurboGTO

BTW: Can I still get a ride in that wicked Vette that's always hanging around your shop??
Old 03-12-2007, 05:05 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

OK Bob,

I'm leaving my Camaro in your hands. You know what I want. Make it fast and keep it quiet.

I'll call you tomorrow.

TurboGTO

BTW: Can I still get a ride in that wicked Vette that's always hanging around your shop??
Yes, I am sure that isn't a problem. I'll confirm it with the owner first, just to make sure. Talk to you soon. Bob

Quick Reply: Quieter Procharger??