Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Superman09's Twin Turbo Build Thread Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

ok ,well i was just stating for a cooling fact. Like i said, i'll monitor it and see how it goes, if it poses an issue, i will address and correct it. Thanks for giving me some insight.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 03-27-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if I missed this from another thread, but can you see the turbos in the engine bay? Or do they mount underneath?
Old 03-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Dude...I frickin' love your car. Its SOO sick. Now, you know that because you've just built such a sweet car, you are required by the law of the LS1 community to provide us with videos....right??? Get that thing tuned and get some footy!!

Great work. Beautiful car.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Superman09
Well time for part 2. Car is pretty much done. As is sits now, only the y pipe needs to be completed. It is nearly done, just ran out of bends so i had to order some more, should be here Mon. I changed my PCV set up and it is ran like i had it set up in the MSPaint pic in last thread with a catch can. Few facts... getting too much oil, its being pushed threw and is messy, lol. Idle vacuum of 24", can hear turbo noise at 800 rpm and she gets going at 1000 pretty good. Have to track down fan issue, for some reason they wont turn on, but when we grounded it's relay they turned on so its something stupid like a ground off or something.

Some questions...
-Too much oil, where do i start? Have access to nitrous jets, do i place one in the feed line right out of the oil block spout or up near first turbo (set up runs to drivers side turbo and crosses over to pass side). Where do i put it and what should i drill it out to?

-Is 24" of vacuum good at idle? Seems like a lot but then again its twins on stock cam, low idle of 500 rpms.

So here are some new pics of the PCV, progress of Y pipe, etc.

A New Video at bottom! Still open DPs, can hear turbos start at about 800 rpms and can really hear them at 1000. Didnt go over 1000 rpms, but you can hear them. Also see the vacuum, Fuel pressure of over 60 at idle, and my tranny cool as a cucumber.

Old PCV crap

New PCV

Catch Can

Another

Tee

Y-Pipe

Another

Another

As She sits

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/35d64...ed0187e93e.htm
Man everything was looking real nice until I saw that Magnaflow merge for the Y. You can cut and fit pipes to get to it, why not make your own?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

haha thanks man, its almost done,working out some bugs now. As for seeing turbos in engine bay, you really have to stick your head in there to find them, pretty stealth. You can see them clear as day from underneath but no one is going to be able to fit their head under my car being lowered, haha

Quick update as of last night. Swapped the clear drain line back over to the heater hose, went down another size for restrictor, FIGURED OUT THE FANS! haha. Deal with the fans was a very dumb one as i expected. The previous owner of the car installed a manual fan switch. When removing the panel earlier in the build, we found he simple wrapped the wire around the switch, no solder, no connectors, nothing. So of course when we pulled the fuse box later a wire just pops out (was just shoved in there). We both thought it was the wire for my alarm system so we put it in its own fuse. After removing more interior panels last night, i found the ground for the fan switch was that wire, not my alarm. So of course, we connected the wire back to the fan relay and voila! Also found out my water temp guage is a piece of dump, haha. Took it for a drive last night and it was reading just above 210, but we had a scan tool hooked up the entire time and when it reached just above 210, my real temp was 170* haha. The highest it got i believe was 186* and the fans dont even come on until 218* i think so it stayed pretty cool. I am in Michigan so we don't have an scorching temps. My drivers side turbo is still leaking, has to be a seal or something so thats coming off to check it out and see why. Oil is just barely dripping out from one of the bolt holes and the other turbo is dry as it should be. Another issue we found was a misfire on Cylinder 7, uh oh. haha. Not sure why, could be a bad plug, oil all over the plug from valvesprings, bad gas, or worse, no idea yet. Was too hot and late when we got back to check the plug, hopefully its nothing big. The car also hated idling after i started driving it for a while. I think the massive vacuum i was pulling on decel and with foot on brake in Drive was making it not like it, was idling down to 400-500 rpms, lol. Drove mine on the freeway, never got above 10" of vacuum. Also my vacuum guage is spot on with the scan tool. Could cruise at 60 mph at 1600-1700 ish and be pulling still around 16" of vacuum. 70 mph was 2k rpms and still way into vacuum. So still have to figure out this leak on drivers side turbo and why #7 is getting misfires. Hopefully they are easy fixes and it will be done soon!

Old 03-28-2007, 07:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Man everything was looking real nice until I saw that Magnaflow merge for the Y. You can cut and fit pipes to get to it, why not make your own?
Well if you had a mangaflow Y, you might change your thoughts. This is a REALLY nice piece and by the design, it has to flow way better than 2 pipes hacked and wwelded into each other. We could have done it, but the mangaflow is a really nice looking piece so we went with that.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,303 Posts

The car also hated idling after i started driving it for a while. I think the massive vacuum i was pulling on decel and with foot on brake in Drive was making it not like it, was idling down to 400-500 rpms, lol. Drove mine on the freeway, never got above 10" of vacuum. Also my vacuum guage is spot on with the scan tool. Could cruise at 60 mph at 1600-1700 ish and be pulling still around 16" of vacuum. 70 mph was 2k rpms and still way into vacuum.
turbos are about load not rpm so u could be at 4000rpms and still not be into boost.ull be fine so long as u dont step on the gas.glad u got the fans figured out.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok cool, thats another detter relief, i never got up to anything higher than 10" of vacuum, pulls about 27" on decel and around 22" at idle, at 60 mph in 4th at 1700 ish its pulling 16". Have to figure out turbo leaking, misfire on #7 and my funky idle now.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

misfire seems to be ignition or possibly injector, going to move stuff around tonight to try to figure it out. Drivers side turbo has to come off to figure out whats making it leak. God of turbo delay strikes again!

Old 03-29-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well if you had a mangaflow Y, you might change your thoughts. This is a REALLY nice piece and by the design, it has to flow way better than 2 pipes hacked and wwelded into each other. We could have done it, but the mangaflow is a really nice looking piece so we went with that.
Actually its a stamped piece and no it will never outflow two smooth transitioning pipes. Ive already compared them on an NA setup..Long, smooth transitions (smooth is the key word) will make more power in the curve and a few more at peak in all of my testing. Hell a Flowmaster works better and I dont like anything flowmaster makes except for their y's and reducer cones.

Im a dealer for Magnaflow and I dont sell or use their Y's or X's in any of my installs or builds. I build my own or buy Dr Gas.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...k/HPIM0384.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...k/HPIM0381.jpg
Old 03-29-2007, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

lol at the equation, well even if this Y you say doesnt flow as well, doesnt bother me, when i hit the track or need the full potential, i just open the cutouts...

Why do you guys think my drivers side turbo is leaking? I have the right restrictor in now i believe as the pass side is dry and doing well, drivers side is still leaking. Think oil is still getting pushed threw due to something bad inside, or possibly still have a ton of oil in there from prior restrictor and its just weeping out slowly and will eventually stop? I don't really know but something is not right over on drivers side so any input would be appreciated. For info, oil is barely weeping out of the bottom bolt that is on the inside part of the turbine housing, one of the bolts use to clock it.... weeping out of the one on the bottom and collecting on the turbine housing. Other than this issue and my misfires on #7, it should be good. Still have to track down exactly what is causing the misfire, entire side was torn apart and its nothing to due with the motor so it must be ignition or maybe gummed up injector.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

now that i think about it your prob having a prob with #7 due to the oil leak from the driver side turbo....it could be getting into the intake....into the cyl then you got your self oil everywhere.....take the intake pipe that goes up to the manifold off and see if it has oil on it...if it does that could be your prob...check your maf it might need to be cleaned. Then if you do have oil all over hit it with some brake cleaner and shop towels to get as much off as you can and hope the rest just goes away in time. Just a guess man.

Also sound like you still have to much oil going into that driver side turbo.....or a seal is fubard
Old 03-29-2007, 12:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

my restrictor is down to .052, the thing that gets me is the pass side turbo is completely fine. I dont think i'm getting oil in the intake but will def check that tonight! Good observation!

Old 03-29-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol at the equation, well even if this Y you say doesnt flow as well, doesnt bother me, when i hit the track or need the full potential, i just open the cutouts...

Why do you guys think my drivers side turbo is leaking? I have the right restrictor in now i believe as the pass side is dry and doing well, drivers side is still leaking. Think oil is still getting pushed threw due to something bad inside, or possibly still have a ton of oil in there from prior restrictor and its just weeping out slowly and will eventually stop? I don't really know but something is not right over on drivers side so any input would be appreciated. For info, oil is barely weeping out of the bottom bolt that is on the inside part of the turbine housing, one of the bolts use to clock it.... weeping out of the one on the bottom and collecting on the turbine housing. Other than this issue and my misfires on #7, it should be good. Still have to track down exactly what is causing the misfire, entire side was torn apart and its nothing to due with the motor so it must be ignition or maybe gummed up injector.
Cutouts were designed with a purpose in mind. To be used as cheap alternatives for poor exhaust and to be LOUDer.

If you design a well fabbed exhaust, the junctions do their job in scavenging and the cutouts are useless Cutouts should be made my Johnson & Johnson. Because they are a Band Aid
Old 03-29-2007, 01:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok if your going to sit in here and only rag on my stuff, get out. Its getting annoying with you downgrading my moves only with nothing positive to say. I dont care what you say, no way i'll be able to ever get a ful lexhaust system out the back with mufflers to outflow my dual cutouts.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok if your going to sit in here and only rag on my stuff, get out. Its getting annoying with you downgrading my moves only with nothing positive to say. I dont care what you say, no way i'll be able to ever get a ful lexhaust system out the back with mufflers to outflow my dual cutouts.
When you make comments like the very end, then you ask for more responses.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

i've put so much time and work into this kit and then to have some rip on my exhaust just irritates me, sorry. If you want to continue ripping on my exhaust, please take it to the external section or just give me a break. Car is still on stock motor and has baby turbos, not like its a track car that needs every ounce of power out of the exhaust system. Cut me some slack, its just a street car, i'm not diehard track here. Hope you understand and we can let it go. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've put so much time and work into this kit and then to have some rip on my exhaust just irritates me, sorry. If you want to continue ripping on my exhaust, please take it to the external section or just give me a break. Car is still on stock motor and has baby turbos, not like its a track car that needs every ounce of power out of the exhaust system. Cut me some slack, its just a street car, i'm not diehard track here. Hope you understand and we can let it go. Thanks!

Hes right though, and you have some brake dust on your drivers side front wheel, a couple of scratches on your catch cans, a few of the welds on your y-pipe look subpar, and I think I noticed a some bubbling in your window tint, and thats just for starters! Looks real good man, def some serious progress as i remeber all your turbo questions before and it looks like you have really come a long way! Let us know what it puts down once you get it tuned by W2W
Old 03-29-2007, 02:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

will do and you can go to hell man, haha. I will agree, he is correct, but its just unnecessary for what i'm making of the car. I remember a while ago when i'd make a new thread everyday about turbo questions and i had about 8 different ones about "which turbo kit to buy" haha. Not many believed i'd actually come through with it.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will do and you can go to hell man, haha. I will agree, he is correct, but its just unnecessary for what i'm making of the car. I remember a while ago when i'd make a new thread everyday about turbo questions and i had about 8 different ones about "which turbo kit to buy" haha. Not many believed i'd actually come through with it.

Exactly, I mean if you were building a max effort fully forged 408 with a huge single or big twins then that might be a different story but no need to spend more money to pick up a minimal amount of horsepower. Yea I remeber those threads and I have to say your one of a few members here that actually follow through when posting about turbo and sc builds. Lord knows I was one of them and I never made it as I sold the car before going FI. Again your car looks sweet and good luck with the rest of the build!

Quick Reply: Superman09's Twin Turbo Build Thread Part 2