Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Oil Pump High Pitch Annoying Whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 01:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Oil Pump High Pitch Annoying Whine

02 SS Camaro M 6 STS. Could anybody out there give me an idea why my STS oil pump is making a very annoying high pitch rattly whining sound.Pump is supposed to be new.I know the buzzing sound of an electric fuel pump and am used to that sound and I thought that was the sound the oil pump was supposed to make.Is the high pitch annoying rattly whine there because the pump is bad or is it there because it was hooked up to run constantly on the high mode which it was because I had a oil smoking problem.If this noise is common because the pump is always running on high then how do I supress the noise.Suggestions please because the noise is giving me a headache and the car is no longer fun to drive.Anybody know of another make of pump that I could use that would be ok to run with the STS kit.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

The STS pumps do make a decent bit of noise but if it's making a whine sound that you can hear loud and clear while driving then you might call STS and see if they can warranty out the pump.

The best way I can describe the noise that they should make is a very loud electric can opener. I have the same pump set on hi also and I can hear it upon key on and at an idle but beyond that I can't hear it. My rear end whines louder than the oil pump. There are a few fluid pumps that jegs and summit carry that you might want to look at.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you dynomat over it? or does it need to be open for air circulation.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Launching!

i've heard mounting on a small piece of wood helps
Old 03-18-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

I wouldn't wrap anything around it b/c it would buil up more heat and possibly have premature pump failure. I haven't heard anything about mounting it on wood or a less sound carrying material. The pump mounting bracket has rubber grommets on it to keep it from rattling against the body.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chance575
i've heard mounting on a small piece of wood helps
just turn the music and pretend its not there
Old 03-19-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

another quality part from STS.. use a boat bildge pump that has an STS sticker, instead of a real pump rated to carry oil.... nice
Old 03-19-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

It does make noise...that's the nature of the beast. I've also heard that when the pumps are new, they make more noise than normal. After some driving time, they quiet down. It's ALSO possible that your pump is stuck on high speed...you may have wired the pump in wrong.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
another quality part from STS.. use a boat bildge pump that has an STS sticker, instead of a real pump rated to carry oil.... nice
It's not a "boat bildge pump", it a very well made, counter rotating brass spur gear pump with a brass head and stainless steel shafts, that was designed for oil and diesel fuel transfer . A bilge pump is only ONE of its listed uses.

Last pump on this page
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm

and some more info
http://www.enginegearonline.com/gepu12or24vo.html

I got 2 years and almost 40k miles on mine with out a problem. You want to talk about noise, put a Mocal pump on it.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6

you never have anything good to say about the STS kit, so unless the time calls for it, then maybe you should keep the comments to yourself

...... my pump was loud at first, but now it has quieted down a lot. i have gotten used to the sound though...
Old 03-19-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i hate haters that talk smack about the STS system when they only have 325rwhp
Old 03-19-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

i had a big response.. but its not worth it.. and i dont want to get this thread locked...

Last edited by GR33N GoblinM6; 03-19-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Could you use a pump like that on a front mounted turbo so you don't have to tap the oil pan?
Old 03-19-2007, 06:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

OneMeanZ, i run front mount twins and use a pump to return oil back to timing cover. Timing cover was much easier to remove to tap vs the oil pan. Hope this helps

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 03-20-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
i hate haters that talk smack about the STS system when they only have 325rwhp
I know this is a little off topic...but I TOTALLY FREAKING AGREE. Go check out the TEXAS forum and you'll see SOOOO many haters bashing the kit and me personally. It's sad really.

It's true, I ran a horrible 1/8 mile time b/c I don't have the tires/rear-end/clutch for a drag race. They've all had their good ol' time with it...I'd just like them to line it up with me on the highway and we'll see who's laughing!!!

I keep telling them, I don't care if your 365rwhp car ran a full second faster than mine 465rwhp...let's line them up on the highway...motor vs motor!
Old 03-20-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
I know this is a little off topic...but I TOTALLY FREAKING AGREE. Go check out the TEXAS forum and you'll see SOOOO many haters bashing the kit and me personally. It's sad really.

It's true, I ran a horrible 1/8 mile time b/c I don't have the tires/rear-end/clutch for a drag race. They've all had their good ol' time with it...I'd just like them to line it up with me on the highway and we'll see who's laughing!!!

I keep telling them, I don't care if your 365rwhp car ran a full second faster than mine 465rwhp...let's line them up on the highway...motor vs motor!
my car ran a 8.5 @ 8X.XX and some poeple laughed at me..... i didnt have the wrapp or the clutch to handle it....... but when we were going home i showed them how "slow" my 8.5 car was

i've laughed at tons of LS1's in this area that didnt think the kit worked. it works, look at the sig my friends
Old 03-20-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Ya, I ran an 8.7X at almost 89mph.

Ya, it sucks that I only pulled .2 seconds better than my best NA time, but I increased by 6mph. I had no traction in 1st gear once the boost kicked in and I had a horrible 2.3 second 60' time due to a crappy launch...no sticky tires

It really doesn't matter to me though...i could care less what I ran in the 1/8 or the 1/4 mile. What matters to me is that when all those cars running low 8s pull up and run me on the highway, they'll be looking at my back bumper wondering why their H/C car can't keep up with the guy that spent less money than them ...

Quick Reply: STS Oil Pump High Pitch Annoying Whine