346ci FI vs 408ci FI

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 09:56 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bboyferal
/thread

This information answers all our questions...

Build a 408+ ... Easy. Sure. But putting a turbo that justifies it? Most people don't... From there we arrive at the advice to go smaller on the engine.

Hell, if a small frame 88 is IDEAL in racing trim for less than 370 cid, then many people on this site have it all wrong.

Going smaller motor with the kind of turbos we typically run makes more sense to me than big time hacking or running the wrong turbos. On LS1 F-body's we have only so much room.

Cablebandit is joking 1.5L would be ideal, but what's funny is that if your turbo size were limited to T-67's (Like some LS1's here run) and such, that would actually be a good idea... It doesn't make any sense to run motors that push turbos into inefficiency. Now, if I could fit two T-76's in my engine bay, I might run a 427 of course. But I won't... It's a street car like many of us have, so the fact is we are limited in this way... And going bigger cubes to make power that way doesn't solve the problem, it just makes the turbo less efficient unless you can run enough turbo to keep the proportion between turbo and motor optimal.
Thats pretty much the whole idea, people seem to think if you have a bigger engine it will make more power with any size turbo (or blower) but that simply isnt the case. You are limited by the amount of air the compressor can move. Throw the exhaust backpressure of a turbo in and it even gets more critical, thats what will kill the big cubes with the smallish turbos.

But as a said before with a heavy car a bigger engine and mid sized turbo may not be optimal for maximum power production, but it would be more fun drive, especially off boost.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:49 AM
9 Second Club

oh KP quit trying to be reasonable I surely understand how and why my incons made more power on my 346 than my 408. With no space or turbo limitations, more cubes means more overall power
Old 04-26-2007, 12:12 PM
9 Second Club

Jose why do you keep talking about a t76? are you running a special on these or what? The original post doesnt say he is limited to a t76...just a streetcar and which cubes are better.

I have had both 346/408 in a street car....the bigger cubes are much more enjoyable to drive off boost. Now if you are talking mostly track car, KP has shown that small cubes can get the job done. When you first go from a stock motor to a low compression 346 forged motor for boost, there is a noticeable difference in power down low when driving on the street. Big cubes more than make up for that but you have to decide if its worth the extra money...everybody has different tolerances.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cablebandit
Jose why do you keep talking about a t76? are you running a special on these or what? The original post doesnt say he is limited to a t76...just a streetcar and which cubes are better.

I have had both 346/408 in a street car....the bigger cubes are much more enjoyable to drive off boost. Now if you are talking mostly track car, KP has shown that small cubes can get the job done. When you first go from a stock motor to a low compression 346 forged motor for boost, there is a noticeable difference in power down low when driving on the street. Big cubes more than make up for that but you have to decide if its worth the extra money...everybody has different tolerances.

That's cause 95% of the kits are T4 based and T76 is the MOST popular choice.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

You don't have to lower the compression to much just because you are gonna boost it. I am having my 348 short built with 9.8:1 compression and still am running 12 lbs of boost on the street with pump. Power down low won't be hit bad at all, and it will still run like a raped ape on the boost.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VINCE
What I have learned out of reading this entire thing is I should have sold my crank and ran with a 370ci.. LOL!!

Its ironic that you mention this as it was my biggest decision...that being whether or not to rebuild my 346/7 cid or do an LS2 364-370 cid. I like the short stroke 3.622 and more bore with Turbo setups. At no time did I consider doing a 388+ cid motor.

If I was running a blower still I probably would have went to a 370cid to make up for a little bit of the tq loss at low rpm from parasitic loss from driving the blower...but even then I look back to when I had my D1 on my 346cid and it was incredible to drive....so parasitic loss is probably all just in my head from reading these boards.

A large part of the decision making process...was having to do the complete change over from LS6 to LS2 for very little benefit IMO. I know that there is a variety of change over kits that help relocating things easier but you still have to buy all of it..and for what???...a little more tq in the lower rpm band...don't need it below 3K rpms....in the end I would have to get a re-tune as well. It was just hard to justify when my car ran perfect with a 346cid and made a **** load of power...plus never any overheating issues and great fuel economy.

If I was going to run a 427cid it would probably be NA..with a 100 shot located somewhere for extra fun through 4th gear.

I respect your opinion and the fact that you can post from experience in having two different setups...346 and 408. But I disagree with the lower compression statement. My 346cid had a static CR of 8.97:1. I never noticed any loss or SOTP feel to the car...and I remember feeling a difference when I ran NA by just adding headers...so I think I would be able to tell the difference in 1 whole compression point.

At 8.97:1 my tach would swing just as quick to 3K rpms (low boost threshold) as I remember when it was 9.7:1. If it in fact does swing a little slower in 1st-2nd to 3K rpms..then I am happy about it. But I just refreshed my motor and as a result of resurfacing the heads and a slightly smaller hg...my static CR is now 9.2:1. So I will report any difference that I feel with a slightly increased CR.

Last edited by Shinobi'sZ; 04-26-2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:28 PM
9 Second Club

Dr Turbo, you mean the stenod...ofi...aps...Streettuna...tti race kits?

My drop in compression was noticeable for sure...especially with a tight stall. Quicksilverado had the same experience with his. I guess everybody has a differently calibrated butt dyno

Next we will all be running the supra motor!!

Last edited by cablebandit; 04-26-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Wow you guys have me so confused so is it a matter of picking the turbo and then building the motor?

Also how do you figure out what you need to spool a turbo?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

No its a matter of picking the rwhp desired and going from there.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Dr Turbo, you mean the stenod...ofi...aps...Streettuna...tti race kits?

My drop in compression was noticeable for sure...especially with a tight stall. Quicksilverado had the same experience with his. I guess everybody has a differently calibrated butt dyno

Next we will all be running the supra motor!!
Well, for the 60-1's and T-67's SO MANY LS1's use here, they WOULD be better off running those turbos on the 2JZ instead, actually!!!

But of course, we must have our street cars... So let's just handicap the turbo instead...

I'm not gonna be guilty of that, so I'll just stick with a 346 thank you cuz I'm stuck with a 76 trim.

... But that's just me, of course... Many more options now.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Im so lost Ive been reading on turbo setups for the past week and im just so lost lol.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Kuhnstyle86
Im so lost Ive been reading on turbo setups for the past week and im just so lost lol.
Perfect. You're officially one of us now.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Perfect. You're officially one of us now.

AWESOME
Old 04-26-2007, 06:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kuhnstyle86

Ask the guys who design them and you won't be. Jose is the man when it comes to turbos...plain and simple.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 52172
No its a matter of picking the rwhp desired and going from there.
Correct the list as was posted in the earlier posts should be:

1. rwhp desired
2. Turbo to reach your desired goal and space contraints
3. The engine that will most effectively utilize this turbo
Old 04-26-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Correct the list as was posted in the earlier posts should be:

1. rwhp desired
2. Turbo to reach your desired goal and space contraints
3. The engine that will most effectively utilize this turbo
This makes sense to the performance enthusiast but sadly might not be popular because many LS1 owners gotta have "cubes" and "more torque than a meager 346" and whatnot.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

I have the RWHP number but do I go off what the turbo maxes at or do I want more room ?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Leave yourself some room to grow on the turbo side.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

This makes sense to the performance enthusiast but sadly might not be popular because many LS1 owners gotta have "cubes" and "more torque than a meager 346" and whatnot.
Well if you have to have cubes...just put a big enough turbo on it, so it won't lift the heads like a convertible,or cause other exhaust back pressure related issues.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

so say i were to want between 850 - 900 rwhp I would go with a turbo making 1200-1400 so I can make up for what i will lose drivetrain.

like I was looking at an S85

Quick Reply: 346ci FI vs 408ci FI