Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need Some Help....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Help....

Just wondering what would be the best setup to go with for now while im on my way to FI....It will be about a year before Im completed piecing together everything I need. Im building a motor, getting a better rear, and beefing up my tranny and piecing together a procharger setup.

So my question is this....what are some mods I can do now that wont hurt me later on my S/C'er setup.....I just want around 350-400whp or so for now but dont want to be changing alot of parts when I go FI. Also dont suggest nitrous, cause I already have a nitrous kit and will be adding that on top of the 350-400whp.

Any ideas??

Last edited by my01ws6; 04-22-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

are you sticking with 346? consider a cam, get full exhaust, and suspension while your waiting.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah Im pretty sure Ill be going with stock cubes.....It seems like it can be pushed to my goals...

If I go cam and heads now what....what would be a good choice that wont hurt me later with my S/C'er setup?
Old 04-22-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone else?
Old 04-22-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

make sure to get low comp heads like 317s 72cc or so. and make sure your grind is S/C friendly. Then you can run low comp on your stock motor until the procharger is ready.

Don't forget the essentials for cam/heads/FI: ls6 ported oil pump, hardened pushrods, springs (918 or Pat. Golds).

And of course fuel depending on your setup: walbro 255, hot wire kit, 42/60lb inj, BAP, and fuel pressure reg.

You can probly go ahead and check into PCV setups too. Get a decent CC and run the lines.

Thats about it. Theres really not much to it
Old 04-23-2007, 05:34 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lingenfelter GT2-3 cam has been well proven to work very well with ATI ProChargers. Check out this build we did.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=40
740 rwhp was accomplished using Patriot Stage 2 LQ9 heads, which are under $1,300.00.
Bob
Old 04-23-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

well what im looking for is around 400whp NOW, using parts that can go with a procharger setup in about a year.

Like I know headers, intake, exhaust....but is there a certain head/cam setup I can go with? I know if I use the 312 heads it will lower my compression, but wont that cause me to lose HP if I dont have FI?

also having the lower compression...will that make it bad for a 100 dry shot of nitrous?

See cause what Im doing is slowly piecing everything together....that way by next year I will have a forged motor, built tranny, new rear end, fuel system, and my S/C'er setup. Then EVERYTHING will go on the car at once. But for now I would like to accomplish around 400whp N/A and throw a 100 shot on it just to tide me over till next year.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

you dont need much to make that kinda power. cam(S/C grind) full ehaust and maybe those 317 heads and a tune. i dont know what kinda power i was making before turbo, but it couldnt've been much and on 7.5psi i saw 472rwhp..... so watch what you put in there
Old 04-23-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

i sense that were going in circles here. lol

but is there a certain head/cam setup I can go with?
Yea, a recommended one is what me and EPP have already said. LQ9 heads and a LP GT cam. With the boltons you should make somewhere around 400. The shot will be fine.
wont that cause me to lose HP if I dont have FI?
compared to a high CR, yes. But itll allow you to run more boost when your ready, and theres no reason in buying heads now and then again later. Don't look at it as a "loss" in HP. Not to mention that IIRC 317s flow better than stock and you can get the PP stage 2 set which flows well, giving you gains.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
i sense that were going in circles here. lol

Yea, a recommended one is what me and EPP have already said. LQ9 heads and a LP GT cam. With the boltons you should make somewhere around 400. The shot will be fine.

compared to a high CR, yes. But itll allow you to run more boost when your ready, and theres no reason in buying heads now and then again later. Don't look at it as a "loss" in HP. Not to mention that IIRC 317s flow better than stock and you can get the PP stage 2 set which flows well, giving you gains.
Yeah I wanst sure from his response cause he said they work well with a procharger, but didnt say they went well without the procharger.

Sorry I just wasnt sure.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so how much hp gain am I looking at if I go with the GT2-3 cam and the Patriot 6.0 heads?

Also which ones would be better the stage II or the stage III heads? If I go stage III heads now will it give me more HP?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Probably 400-425

I dont know what your goals are but you should be fine with Stage II. Im thinking theres a bit of confusion on how the "stage" setup works. Check out Patriots website and I think the N/A section has some nice writeups on this info. Basically what Im saying is you can make 600+ on stock heads and you can make 600+ with 317s. It all depends on how you want to setup the motor (stock cubes? what pistons? ect) and how much power you ultimately want. You'd be surprised how much 500+rwhp really is, so dont feel the need to go crazy. Its my understanding that this is a daily driver and something new for you. Just look around and see what kind of combos meet what your looking for. Then research the heck out of it till your eyes fall off.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I had my mind set on a turbo set up but now I have changed my mind....I want to go procharger....it seems like a set it and forget it kinda thing....I know not really but it seems like less maintence....I can also buy the head unit and finish making the kit how I want it.

Yeah its kinda like my DD...I drive it whenever I can!!! But not in the rain or snow.....I just want an all out fun street car....Yeah to be honest, I have never even driven a 500rwhp car....the most was ever 420 but it was a HEAVY *** car....Which honestly felt slower than the car I have now....

I know for sure Im gonna get headers and a ORY pipe....right now I have a hooker cat back but havent decided whether or not to go ahead and get true duals....

I want to finish my cars appearance before I start on my FI route....but I would at least like to get the cam and heads package, exhaust and nitrous set up.

I would say my goal is like 650 MAX...I just want around 550 now....I just like the idea that I can up the boost safely IF I WANT....if i can do that on stock heads...I would rather not spend the extra money on the LS6 ones....Or If I can do them on the LS6 non ported ones that would be fine to....I just have no idea.

Last edited by my01ws6; 04-23-2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

a D1SC will definitely make 550 with stock heads. You just need to consider a forged bottom end if your gonna spray. Really 550 is the limit anyway on stock block. With the cam and moderate boost you'll probly start into the mid to high 400s which can be very safe on a nice tune for years. Just check out EPP's setups and youll see.

Dont forget that a turbo has a much (or little) maintenance as a S/C. Most of the "maintenance" that people think of is just breaking stuff and replacing it because they dont build the car up properly for boost. A turbo can sit on a car for years no problem. Not trying to persuade you, just saying don't discard it for that reason.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

is that gt2-3 cam good for a turbo or supercharger?

im not gonna be spraying on top of the FI....just for now to tide me over till my FI setup is finished.

I dono there just seems like more parts with a turbo setup....and I think I could piece together a S/C'er setup for cheaper....plus I can keep all my accesories in there stock location....I was going to go with the STS setup but decided againt it cause I like my car slammed on the ground.

Most of the turbo kits havent been around as long as procharger has been so its kind of a tried and true kinda thing as well.

Like I said im not striving for anything thats out of reach of a supercharger....If I was going for some HUGE numbers I would deffinetely go turbo...

Last edited by my01ws6; 04-25-2007 at 12:06 AM.