Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin turbo trans am build

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a custom alum basket we already opened it larger than stock but its not emough
Old 09-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Banned

we tested it out of the car with the pumps running full throttle. They cannot pull fuel out faster than the opening in the basket lets it in.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice looking fab work and impressive videos. Hope you get to your hp/tq goals.
Custom work can add up fast. First time around on my 99 last year ordered up GMR Speed kit. It looked to be great quality. Shop seemed to be great shop,great rep.

Then in middle of things since was waiting for some upgraded designs to the exhaust manifolds since they were cracking and GMR was making braces or something the partners had a war and the shop went under. 2000 dollars of my money went bye bye.
One of the partners has said he would send me my money but seen dollar zero so far.

The moral of this story I am afraid is ,especially on these turbo projects its best to stick with the big guys.I ordered an aps kit. I paid 1000 bucks down on an aps kit and the aps kit shipped actually ahead of schedule and was exactly as described ,quality looks fantastic and it was only 5500 bucks. But of course its still a tuner kit,have to buy fuel system and responsible for tuning. And I have to install it or get it installed. And still have to get ypipe it don't come with or fab one up.

So just saying custom can be expensive and sometimes there will be problems. But the fab work on the car in this thread looks very good and the car definitely seems to peform well and should be a screamer when everything is sorted out. Its also on a fairly mild engine right now. And you usually have to run alc injection ,race gas or e85 to get the best power out of these things. Timing is very important, to torque as well as hp. I really notice loss of torque when cut timing down in my big turbo talon.

I also think when possible its good idea to have clear written estimates but sometimes that is not possible on these type of things.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Nice looking fab work and impressive videos. Hope you get to your hp/tq goals.
Custom work can add up fast. First time around on my 99 last year ordered up GMR Speed kit. It looked to be great quality. Shop seemed to be great shop,great rep.

Then in middle of things since was waiting for some upgraded designs to the exhaust manifolds since they were cracking and GMR was making braces or something the partners had a war and the shop went under. 2000 dollars of my money went bye bye.
One of the partners has said he would send me my money but seen dollar zero so far.

The moral of this story I am afraid is ,especially on these turbo projects its best to stick with the big guys.I ordered an aps kit. I paid 1000 bucks down on an aps kit and the aps kit shipped actually ahead of schedule and was exactly as described ,quality looks fantastic and it was only 5500 bucks. But of course its still a tuner kit,have to buy fuel system and responsible for tuning. And I have to install it or get it installed. And still have to get ypipe it don't come with or fab one up.

So just saying custom can be expensive and sometimes there will be problems. But the fab work on the car in this thread looks very good and the car definitely seems to peform well and should be a screamer when everything is sorted out. Its also on a fairly mild engine right now. And you usually have to run alc injection ,race gas or e85 to get the best power out of these things. Timing is very important, to torque as well as hp. I really notice loss of torque when cut timing down in my big turbo talon.

I also think when possible its good idea to have clear written estimates but sometimes that is not possible on these type of things.
good points but with this build that went on. there was more work then just a TT setup. and engine build, a rearend build, subframes built, entire exhaust made, tuning was paid for, wheels/tires mounted. this was a complete build.

and you stated "estimate" as we all know estimates arent the final "QUOTE" thus things are acceptable to change
Old 09-06-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

Edited: i'm sick of repeating myself on the issues and it's not a part of this thread anyhow

I thought everybody was going to drop this and leave it a dead topic? I tried to keep cost out of this : post 157 was the first time cost came up - i refuted this in post 161 where i stated i didnt' wanna go into the cost thing - very next post he decided to get into it... I wanted it left out of this b/c, quite frankly, i'm ashamed of how much money i spent on this friggin car... i dealt with the cost in person and through PM's only until it was brought up... so why can't it be left alone?

Nonetheless, no matter how far out of line things are monitarily and otherwise, when the customer leaves his laptop to have some initial tuning put on by the builder, the builder and his employees have NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to go through the customers private things on that said laptop. Yes, the tuning program and the scanning program - NO FURTHER...

Last edited by SonofaBish; 09-06-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

i did hear back from the guy fixing the fuel system tho...

Cliff Notes:
Pulled pumps - wiring to the connector is very shady so it will get fixed

the pickup for the pums definitely needs opened up (just as BlueMeaneiTSI said)

the lines will all get replaced with custom press fit ones, wiring will all get redone and as mentioned above the fuel pump assembly will be modified to allow more fuel to the pumps

this should make her go - however, i have no clue how long it'll be until its done - i'm so rediculously busy with work and everything else right now, i dont really have time to worry about it anymore (like i did all summer) - when it gets finisehd, i'll be sure to let everyone know the results
Old 09-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
quik, you don't seem to get into ur thick head, just like anyone else that's trying to defend the builder here, that the price quoted had included all this stuff... its made out like that was just suddenly popped on here and there, when that's not true... all of it was pre-organized before the build started....
-tt setup - planned ....
-engine build - planned ....
-subframes - told him if he could get it done quickly without screwing up the interior go ahead; otherwise i'd go buy a set of $300 ones from a retailer - i feel they were done quickly, but my main concern, my interior, did not go back together the same; yet i havent bitched about that b/c i think i can deal with it, other than the broken vent that they refuse to take responsibility for ......
-exhaust - the most apalling to me, probably the simplest of fab jobs for professional fabricators - guess I should have gone to an exhaust shop that would have had it done in a day, not weeks; and actually put mounts on it so it doesnt RATTLE like hell .......
-tuning - taken care of by me
- wheels and tires mounted? you say that like its something that takes a fab shop to do?

I thought everybody was going to drop this and leave it a dead topic? I tried to keep cost out of this : post 157 was the first time cost came up - i refuted this in post 161 where i stated i didnt' wanna go into the cost thing - very next post he decided to get into it... I wanted it left out of this b/c, quite frankly, i'm ashamed of how much money i spent on this friggin car... i dealt with the cost in person and through PM's only until it was brought up... so why can't it be left alone?

Nonetheless, no matter how far out of line things are monitarily and otherwise, when the customer leaves his laptop to have some initial tuning put on by the builder, the builder and his employees have NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to go through the customers private things on that said laptop. Yes, the tuning program and the scanning program - NO FURTHER...
i was referring to the post above mine saying "estimate" we all know estimates change. like bodywork, electrical, plumbing, carpentry...wasnt in reference to your build. then the whole what was all stated was also in relation to the post above mine as he stated go with big dogs and pay 5500...for 5500 you get a few pipes and turbos...for what you paid you got alot more

5500 for a set of turbos/wastegate/BOV and rest all plumbing...well isnt to bad for 2k in tubing

i dont care how much this **** costs or who did what. i along with the rest of this site want final numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if i like the numbers you make i may ditch my 408 and go less cubes
Old 09-06-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Quik
i was referring to the post above mine saying "estimate" we all know estimates change. like bodywork, electrical, plumbing, carpentry...wasnt in reference to your build. then the whole what was all stated was also in relation to the post above mine as he stated go with big dogs and pay 5500...for 5500 you get a few pipes and turbos...for what you paid you got alot more

5500 for a set of turbos/wastegate/BOV and rest all plumbing...well isnt to bad for 2k in tubing

i dont care how much this **** costs or who did what. i along with the rest of this site want final numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if i like the numbers you make i may ditch my 408 and go less cubes
ok, my apologies... post above edited

from the way things look, its going to make the 700/700 i wanted with less than 15psi... we'll see though

Last edited by SonofaBish; 09-06-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Banned

ok, my apologies...

from the way things look, its going to make the 700/700 i wanted with less than 15psi... we'll see though
well get it fixed and get numbers and some ETs
Old 09-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Banned

i did hear back from the guy fixing the fuel system tho...

Cliff Notes:
Pulled pumps - wiring to the connector is very shady so it will get fixed

Gotta cut corners when you cut the budget. Thats the only way it will drive out, instead of being pushed out. How shady can it be though. Every splice was soldered.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

i'm not pulling him into this situation.... i gave just the short version and i'm not going further into it than that
Old 09-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Teching In

You talking about the box or the wiring on the pumps?
Old 09-07-2007, 06:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlueMeanieTSi
You talking about the box or the wiring on the pumps?
wiring on the pumps... The box he said he wasn't sure whether it was a boost-a-pump or a relay of some sort.... i said it wasnt a boost-a-pump, but wasnt real sure what it was....
Old 09-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Teching In

It's a relay/fuse box I built to rewire the pumps for 10g wire.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Banned

wiring on the pumps... The box he said he wasn't sure whether it was a boost-a-pump or a relay of some sort.... i said it wasnt a boost-a-pump, but wasnt real sure what it was....
not to be a dick, but if your new mechanic doesnt know what something a previous mechanic did shouldnt he not be doing the work? it might cost more in long run cause he has no idea on what was done for the system....
Old 09-07-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlueMeanieTSi
It's a relay/fuse box I built to rewire the pumps for 10g wire.
that's what i told him i thought it was
Old 09-07-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Quik
not to be a dick, but if your new mechanic doesnt know what something a previous mechanic did shouldnt he not be doing the work? it might cost more in long run cause he has no idea on what was done for the system....
i believe he's just going to be fixing all of the connections... he said the soldering looks like it could break at any time...
Old 09-11-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Regular

need to know one thing from one of you guys.... i dont relaly know what he's asking for, so i'll just quote what he asked me

"can you find out if the fuel filter sock at the bottom of the housing domination built is the stock sock from the stock pump? Just need to make sure"...

once i have an answer to this, he said he'll have it running same day, so maybe today is the day
Old 09-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Banned

Pm'd you about the filter socks
Old 09-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Teching In

I know those pumps themselves have a built in screen and are not to have socks attached directly to them. (that's if they used the same pumps from the truck too i didn't see the pumps directly)

Quick Reply: Twin turbo trans am build