Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What shold i do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 05:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What shold i do?

im going to be getting some money for gradution soon, and was wondering what yalls opnions on what i should do would be. im not going to have a massive amount of money probley around 1,000 dollars maybe 1500 if i save for a bit. i cant decide on the route i want to go on down the road, NA or forced induction. ultimately i will go FI after ive built the engine and done h/c/i, but this will be a while because of my low budget. now i know im not going to get a turbo or blower for 1k, but i am going to be doing bolt ons with the 1k. but i need to decide which path im going, so early on i can pick the bolt ons that will benefit which ever path i go. The only FI option i am eliminating is N20. so i cant decide on eiter a centri- supercharger, STS rear mount or a tradtional mounted turbo. i know of a complete tradtional mounted turbo locally i can get really cheap probley 800$, the kit is for an LS1 and includes everything ill need, including FMIC( the kit may be more than 800$ but he said dirt cheap). i am confused on how a front mount turbo would work on an ls1. there are 2 exhaust manifolds so does the turbo run off one of the mainifolds or does it feed where the headers combine(the collector, right?) i was planning on doing headers with my money as my first mod, but if i have an opportunity to buy this turbo kit then i didnt know if you could have headers and a front mount turbo, so if someone could clear that up that would be nice. And also i was planning on doing True dual exhaust, and i didnt know if having true duals would interfear with the STS rear mount turbo. so i guess a Centri-supercharger would not interfear with any bolt ons but they seem to be really expensive for the LS1. so yall see my delima, just doing some research before i go and waste some money, sorry for all the questions, and thanks.
P.S. how much boost(HP) would you run on a completely stock internaled engine?
Old 05-16-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

don't start a FI project with so little money, you should have thousands of dollars before even considering this.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

FI project will beat you down and suck you dry. You'll have to go to meetings like the rest of us.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:24 PM
10 Second Club

not really starting one just wondering what i should get with the 1k that will work with the FI. or do you think just boltons with the 1k and worry about FI when i get the money?
Old 05-16-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with a cam that would accompany the SC or turbo better and then some springs and maybe a wideband... That's about all of your money there...Or you can do some headers if you're going SC...
Old 05-16-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1Z28-00
im going to be getting some money for gradution soon, and was wondering what yalls opnions on what i should do would be. im not going to have a massive amount of money probley around 1,000 dollars maybe 1500 if i save for a bit. i cant decide on the route i want to go on down the road, NA or forced induction. ultimately i will go FI after ive built the engine and done h/c/i, but this will be a while because of my low budget. now i know im not going to get a turbo or blower for 1k, but i am going to be doing bolt ons with the 1k. but i need to decide which path im going, so early on i can pick the bolt ons that will benefit which ever path i go. The only FI option i am eliminating is N20. so i cant decide on eiter a centri- supercharger, STS rear mount or a tradtional mounted turbo. i know of a complete tradtional mounted turbo locally i can get really cheap probley 800$, the kit is for an LS1 and includes everything ill need, including FMIC( the kit may be more than 800$ but he said dirt cheap). i am confused on how a front mount turbo would work on an ls1. there are 2 exhaust manifolds so does the turbo run off one of the mainifolds or does it feed where the headers combine(the collector, right?) i was planning on doing headers with my money as my first mod, but if i have an opportunity to buy this turbo kit then i didnt know if you could have headers and a front mount turbo, so if someone could clear that up that would be nice. And also i was planning on doing True dual exhaust, and i didnt know if having true duals would interfear with the STS rear mount turbo. so i guess a Centri-supercharger would not interfear with any bolt ons but they seem to be really expensive for the LS1. so yall see my delima, just doing some research before i go and waste some money, sorry for all the questions, and thanks.
P.S. how much boost(HP) would you run on a completely stock internaled engine?
If you don't have a lot of money, don't go forced induction, and from the sounds of things, ur graduating high school and will probably be going to college, so I would just do some little things here and there and keep the car mild till you have money to blow, i'm sure it's ur daily driver and you probably can't afford to have it go down for long periods of time. I would just stick with bolt-on's, then a cam, maybe some heads if you can get the money together, these cars will run really well even just cam and bolt-on's only, take the car through steps and you'll be better for it, if you jump from a 13 second car to an 8 second car, you might kill urself or destroy the car you just put all ur pride, money and hard work into!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

I concur with the bolt-ons. Headers would be a good choice and will wake up your ride a bit.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a stall,cutout,lid,and good program and you will have a 7 sec ride in the 1/8
Old 05-22-2007, 05:00 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=540

Check out this list that I created, it may give you some good ideas. Bob
Old 05-22-2007, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

you might do some suspension, but dont blow to much money on your car.dont go FI unless you have money to throw away.
think long and hard before going a route on your car, so that means you got to lookk around on this and other sections.
FI is very costly.
and bam nuff of this thread before you get flammed to death.

Quick Reply: What shold i do?