Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pro's and Con's to Speed Density Tuning on FI..

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007 | 05:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by mdhmi
I'm sure SD is great when done right - but FWIW I haven't had any issues with my MAF setup at 13-15 psi boost. My car runs mid 10's @ 138 MPH without meth in the summer heat on pump fuel so I can't complain.
I agree.We've run 20lbs of boost with a MAF with no problems.Believe me though,if you switch to SD with your setup you WILL feel the difference.I'm sure the car runs real good now but it would be bettter. Hard to explain till you do it.
Old 05-27-2007 | 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

You really feel the throttle response difference in a 6 speed car. I suppose it wouldn't be quite as noticeable in a high stalled auto.
Old 05-27-2007 | 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

so how much does it cost to change a car over from MAF to SD 2 or 3 bar and whats the difference. And tuning wise how much more.
Old 05-27-2007 | 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with Slowhawk and the others about how SD helps with throttle responce. I have a 6 speed and I felt a difference.

I do all my own tuning with EFI and I have a bunch to learn, but I enjoy it.

I feel one con to SD is my fuel economy went down. However, at the same time, I have not completely tuned it. At the moment the car is rich so there is some MPG to pick up once I get it figured out.

Glenn
Old 05-27-2007 | 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

so you guys that are doing all your own tuning on an SD setup how hard would you say it was to learn....and what was/is your tuning background if any?
Old 05-27-2007 | 09:42 PM
9 Second Club

what about a blow through MAF?
Old 05-28-2007 | 04:28 AM
12 Second Club

we all run a blow through maf technically....you mean after the turbo right?
Old 05-28-2007 | 05:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by navymitch12
so you guys that are doing all your own tuning on an SD setup how hard would you say it was to learn....and what was/is your tuning background if any?
Alot of people do there own SD tuning and they do it very good but there is alot of tunes we had to fix already.It takes alittle time and experience to do it right.Gas mileage should not change when done.
Old 05-28-2007 | 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

again PRICE?
Old 05-28-2007 | 10:12 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by KWIKKAR
again PRICE?
Relax man. Anywhere from $450 to $1000. Its alot of work due to the fact when the OS is changed its all from scratch. And its a drop your car off for 3 to 4 days tune. No wam bam thank you man junk.
Old 05-28-2007 | 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks, thats all i wanted to know. I'll just stay with my MAF setup.
Old 05-28-2007 | 10:19 AM
9 Second Club

thanks, thats all i wanted to know. I'll just stay with my MAF setup.
Goodluck. When you get into alot of boost your going to need something else.
Old 05-28-2007 | 11:07 AM
Teching In

Isn't the major problem with maf vs sd that the maf can only measure a specified amount of air, and once you go past that the pcm doesn't have the programming to continue. From what I get of it, the MAF-T is a continuation table based on throttle position that essentialy has the pcm assume what the airflow is integrating AIT. Am I understanding this correctly or am I way off?
Old 05-28-2007 | 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by INTMD8
I have tuned many cars using HP tuners 2/3 bar OS. As far as tuning is concerned it is my favorite thing to work with and IMHO the only proper way to accurately tune a forced induction car capable of maxing out the MAF sensor.

Driveability is exceptional, much better than the MAF. Change your boost level on the fly and fueling is perfect at any setting. Just make sure you have the proper octane fuel in the tank for a given power level.

Once tuning is completed no further changes or adjustments are necessary. Their are millions of cars on the road built and tuned speed density from the factory. They (like the LS1) do not need to be re-flashed when the weather changes.

Well, that depends on if you run in OLSD or CLSD. For some with a nasty cam and FI, they might stay in OLSD, then you have to mess with the IAT adder table. Our weather changes so drastically in FL, we would need to retune because of the IAT changes.

I second a permenant WB. Its an invaluable tool. When I tuned my SS in 2 bar, it took me 2 weeks to get the VE perfect, timing right, spool time down and some other stuff. It takes a lot of time to perfect.

I seen no cons unless you have to pay someone else to do it, then its
$$$$$ and if a problem does arise, you have to wait for them to correct it. I think I had better throttle responce with SD too. It felt pepier than with a MAF.
Old 05-28-2007 | 11:25 AM
9 Second Club

mine is olsd and i like it. Gas mileage is the same or better and driveability is definitely better...no lean spikes etc. It took me awhile to make the move to SD but I knew Onfire wouldnt steer me wrong and he had the same experience with the switch
Old 05-28-2007 | 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VINCE
Your car is just flat out fast Mark. You are 1 bar right?
Whatever the base setup is. I've tried to keep the combo as simple as possible, ahearing to the KISS theory.

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I'm sure the car runs real good now but it would be bettter. Hard to explain till you do it.
I can appreciate that. It's like trying to explain how a set of high end speakers sound. It's not easy.

I like the general idea of SD, in the sense that you can adjust the boost without retuning, but my concern is that I don't know -anyone- with an SD setup that doesn't drive around with a laptop on the passenger seat making constant changes.

The beauty of a MAF tune is it's, for the most part, set it and forget it.

I had my car tuned a couple of years ago and then spot checked at the beginning of this year after my meth kit was replaced, but other than that it's never touched.

As a side note, I ran my car last Friday at Norwalk with the meth and then without and it ran *exactly* the same both runs. 1.92 sixty foot, and 10.60 @ 138 MPH. I think where the meth shines is when you are beating on it constantly on the freeway in the summer heat.
Old 05-28-2007 | 12:50 PM
FormerVendor

Orange County Corvettes in CA charges right around 2 grand for a SD tune.

Personally, I have had BOTH, And I prefer the MAF tune. Why? Because there is No-Such-Thing as a set it and forget it SD tune. You WILL have to tinker with it. Are there guys who have their cars SD tuned and then never go back to the shop?? Sure there are. But I guarantee you their tune is off during different parts of the year, OR when they have large elevation changes.

With a MAF tune you dont have to deal with that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but LPE tunes their 800-1000+rwhp cars with a MAF.
again PRICE?
Old 05-28-2007 | 01:01 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
Orange County Corvettes in CA charges right around 2 grand for a SD tune.

Personally, I have had BOTH, And I prefer the MAF tune. Why? Because there is No-Such-Thing as a set it and forget it SD tune. You WILL have to tinker with it. Are there guys who have their cars SD tuned and then never go back to the shop?? Sure there are. But I guarantee you their tune is off during different parts of the year, OR when they have large elevation changes.

With a MAF tune you dont have to deal with that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but LPE tunes their 800-1000+rwhp cars with a MAF.
Yes and If I am correct they use this maf http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/lp..._lpe-4232.html

Which is really similar to the SCT mafs I use in 03,04 cobra's and lightings.
Old 05-28-2007 | 03:43 PM
On The Tree

I know with my setup it is in SD right now too. Was tuned in 41 degree weather. I know on the hot summer days, up top in the r.p.m.'s like 4500 and higher you can feel the car not really pulling like it should. And im assuming this is from the temp. difference. I know as soon as I can fix my oil problem(which keeps blowing my mass air) I will be putting it back is mass air. I don't really like SD I was told your car wouldn't run to it's potential if it was tuned it cold weather and you race in hot. Pretty much I was told if it is a drag car tune it in SD in hot weather never will have to worry about retuning it because it is a drag car. But, mine is a weekend warrior and sometimes the track so I need mass air. Also the guy that tuned my car did it in a matter of hours. Only made 5 runs on the dyno ended up with 400 rwhp 465 rwtq on STS Turbo 5 p.s.i. stock motor through a 9".

P.S. Do you think that is why im having the problem with the car not pulling as strong up top as it should in like a 85-90 degree weather is bc it was tuned in 41 degree?

Jimmy
Old 05-28-2007 | 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by 00WHITETA
I know with my setup it is in SD right now too. Was tuned in 41 degree weather. I know on the hot summer days, up top in the r.p.m.'s like 4500 and higher you can feel the car not really pulling like it should. And im assuming this is from the temp. difference. I know as soon as I can fix my oil problem(which keeps blowing my mass air) I will be putting it back is mass air. I don't really like SD I was told your car wouldn't run to it's potential if it was tuned it cold weather and you race in hot. Pretty much I was told if it is a drag car tune it in SD in hot weather never will have to worry about retuning it because it is a drag car. But, mine is a weekend warrior and sometimes the track so I need mass air. Also the guy that tuned my car did it in a matter of hours. Only made 5 runs on the dyno ended up with 400 rwhp 465 rwtq on STS Turbo 5 p.s.i. stock motor through a 9".

P.S. Do you think that is why im having the problem with the car not pulling as strong up top as it should in like a 85-90 degree weather is bc it was tuned in 41 degree?

Jimmy
Air density will affect the VE table as the air is more dense in colder weather. When the hot air gets hot, its less dense and youre probably running too rich now since the fueling was done in cold air. If you are CLSD, the crusing doesnt matter since the PCM still uses the O2s and will stay at 14.7 and it will only affect WOT since its open loop. Thats why there is an IAT adder for SD.