Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

700whp - Which clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwn Cam
Mcleod Street Twin!!! Just ask Underground Racing.They have a ST with Miba Discs in their 7 second Viper that drives to the track runs 7's and drives home.
That Viper hasn't run 7's in Vegas (it did it in SC) and has only been to the track here once that I know of. I know the owner and the car is rarely driven anywhere, but it's definately streetable and stupid stupid power.

I'd vote for the same clutch setup that is in this car... if you can afford it. My Th400 cost as much as a good clutch setup.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After a lot of reading I got the tex twin and have a 120 or so miles on it and its getting easier to drive on the street. It was not so great for first 20 miles or so.
Pedal pressure is pretty light really and only complaint is that it makes a rattling noise when you push in the clutch. Most twins do that but their are bunch of new generation that don't. Ram has street twin, it requires think adjustable master. Mcleod also think uses their adjustable master. Some have had bad luck with the mcleod masters. Tex don't use adjustable master and their 0z 700 is rated 700ft pounds. Fidanza has also just just come out with street twins for our car. They advertise light pressure, no push in floater rattling, and great grip and think are offered in 650 ft pound and 825 ft pound version. So they could be another option.

I may consider optional discs that Peter at textralia mentioned I could get for my tex twin. I have the metallic dics and they do have an organic/kevlar or something too but didn't now it was an option when bought my clutch. Maybe tex can come out with an upgrade no rattle floater thing. But with stereo on and exhaust and heater fan you can't really notice it too much and it does it only when pushed in. Still quiet is better.

So there are three twins that are street twins..mcleod, ram and fidanza. And clutchmasters might also have fx600 street twin for our cars they are making them for imports.
Be warned the twin discs are not cheap but most include flywheel for the price.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've been saving here and there for a twin disc by RAM and was told it'll hold what i want...... i dont plan on making 1k hp ANYTIME soon
Old 06-06-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Twin discs Rock. that RAM sounds nice for sure.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

spec 3 lasted 1 yr, spec 5 lasted 6 weeks. Went with Tex Twin..........5 months and counting
Old 06-06-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stock clutch with 36k miles on it is holding strong at ~500
Old 06-06-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zombie
I'd vote for the same clutch setup that is in this car... if you can afford it. My Th400 cost as much as a good clutch setup.
Sold. Sorry to hijack this a bit, but what power level TH400 did you get from Rossler and what are your rear gears? I think my car wants to grow up to be like yours. I'm thinking rear mount T76, 402 w/good heads and decent cam, intercooler, running around 15psi...
Old 06-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am running a Tex OZ700 right now w/out issue. This is my second combo with the same clutch. Going on over a year now.. If I decide to turn up the wick I will upgrade to a twin disc Tex clutch.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by VINCE
I am running a Tex OZ700 right now w/out issue. This is my second combo with the same clutch. Going on over a year now.. If I decide to turn up the wick I will upgrade to a twin disc Tex clutch.
I ran my OZ700 to many low 10 sec passes, and plenty of 145+ traps.

Its a superb clutch, and holds a lot more than its rating suggests. If its a daily driver, then its hard to beat.

I dont care what anyone says, the smaller diameter multiplates are not as nice to drive ( unless they used organic linings, then they could be )

Im on a triple now, and I can live with it. But mine isnt a DD...just a toy, although I did something like 6500 miles last year. So probably had around 8,000 on my OZ700..

Only replaced it because I was upgrading my T56 too....it certainly didnt need replaced !!
Old 06-06-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Wow triple eh? My twin seems to be breakin in pretty quickly. I can take it thru traffic pretty easily but really heavy heavy traffic is bit of a pain. But only have 120miles on mine. So heard the triple doesn't make any noise like the twin when pressed in??True or false.? Also tex does have more street friendly discs as options now. Peter mentioned them to me. Tex just needs to modify their floater design like fidanza and ram and few other companies so it don't do the rattle thing when pushed in. Still willing to put up with a bit to have a clutch that can hold over 1000 ft pounds.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

another vote for spec 3+
Old 06-06-2007, 05:54 PM
STP
Staging Lane

mcleod twin disc drives nice in traffic and at lights holding 1162 hp at wheels had a spec stage 3 in old setup wasnt impressed
Old 06-06-2007, 06:02 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Wow triple eh? My twin seems to be breakin in pretty quickly. I can take it thru traffic pretty easily but really heavy heavy traffic is bit of a pain. But only have 120miles on mine. So heard the triple doesn't make any noise like the twin when pressed in??True or false.? Also tex does have more street friendly discs as options now. Peter mentioned them to me. Tex just needs to modify their floater design like fidanza and ram and few other companies so it don't do the rattle thing when pushed in. Still willing to put up with a bit to have a clutch that can hold over 1000 ft pounds.
most multiplates rattle, whats the dig deal ?

how often are you sitting with your foot on the clutch ? if its enough to annoy you, then IMO you are driving it wrong.

And I was actually surprised mine doesnt rattle noticeably.

I only opted for the triple, as the more friction area should provide smoother engagement.
Its not quite a plug n play install though. With hindsight......I prob should have just went for the twin...or even just stuck with the OZ700..

ya just get these ideas into your head, you need more, when you know in reality you dont.

That said, its in and driving fine. I think it would crack me up in heavy stop-go traffic, but I havent come across that scenario just yet.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran

The rattling is not that bad most of the time. And I do let the clutch out when stopped at lights and and stuff. But the newest twin designs are saying that they have the rattle thing fixed so can't see why tex couldn't redesign a bit and maybe do that to theirs if it isn't some big patent problem.

Just said why have to deal with the noise if it can be designed out. So far I think my twin is pretty streetable and should get more so as the miles go by and try a few hard launches after 500miles or so. what break in did you do on the triple. How is hte pedal pressure? the twin is not that heavy at all.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:54 PM
9 Second Club

pedal pressure will be exactly the same as the twin, it uses the same cover.

I cant relate to yours as my car will use a different master cylinder. ( I changed to a larger bore size due to other problems.....was un-necessary in the end though )

But it is heavier than the OZ700, thats for sure.

No break in....I was racing, albeit at a crap track with less than 300 miles on it, and driving it hard within 100 miles on the road.

I was having issues at the time, and clutch/tranny was apart a few times with very few miles on them. Id say my clutch was fully bedded in with very very few miles on it.

I would think fitment of a few springs on the posts could help reduce the rattle. But as I said, my floaters are a pretty neat fit, and I dont hear any rattling. That said, engine/exhaust/blower isnt exactly quiet either.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by koji777
spec 3 lasted 1 yr, spec 5 lasted 6 weeks. Went with Tex Twin..........5 months and counting
LOL, you're daily driving a 1,000+ hp car. What do you expect?
Old 06-07-2007, 04:11 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

My Spec Stage 3 lasted three years, and it took a lot of abuse. We've been using and installing Spec Stage 3+ clutched since they came out, and have not had any problems with them at all. Bob

Quick Reply: 700whp - Which clutch?