Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Extrude Honing Cast Incon Manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extrude Honing Cast Incon Manifolds

What do you guys think about extrude honing the cast Incon mainfolds? I am thinking about doing this prior to installing the new motor in a few months.

I cruised around the www.extrudehone.com website and it seems honing the manifolds would probably add a decent amount of flow.

Also, the person that I spoke with at Extrude Hone said that they could extrude hone the turbos as well...compressor wheels, compressor housings, and turbos housing. How do they do this?

In case you were wondering, they want $500 to hone the manifolds and 250 per turbo, so about $1000 for all of the work. They also said that it was about a 4 week turn around time for cast parts.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Extrude Honing Cast Incon Manifolds

Exhaust manifolds and turbo exhaust housing should not be problem. I had to do dremel the crap out of mine to get rid of the casting flash. The turbines would not even rotate in the exhaust housings the way Incon sent them. I would not do the compressor or turbine wheels. The CHRA is a balanced unit. The way they are balanced is computerized. Look at the nut on the compressor wheel, its been machined a little bit at a time so the balance is right. You can just machine down the compressor housing easily enough. I had a custom one made for the driver side turbo from a standard T03 housing.

Gary
Old 05-04-2003, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have other upgrade alternatives to the manifolds that are the same price, I wouldn't spend it on the extrude hone. When I had older muscle cars I looked into getting ports and manifolds done, read up on all the hard data that was published, and it seemed that the incremental improvement in flow was just not worth the money.

IMO, you'd see more real performance gain in changing head/cam combo to current state-of-art (that is if you haven't already). Also, how about a little NOS to cool down that intake charge

Old 05-05-2003, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, the new motor that will be going in (probably about 2 1/2 months from now) is a complete longblock assembly, so the update of the heads/cam will be taken care of when that gets installed.

I think that I am going to go ahead and get the extrude hone work done. I am going to drop the manifolds/turbo housings/compressor cover off with Richard over at West Coast Cylinder Heads and have him flow test the setup before and after...so I will be able to see how much CFM I actually pick up.

I am also tossing around the idea of having the manifolds and the exhaust housings cryogenically treated prior to the extrude hone work. I'd like to make the manifolds as indestructible as possible, it will be a while before I want to have a custom set of these things made

Scott
Old 05-05-2003, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt, just for the hell of it Patrick just weighed a set of the cast manifolds, 13 #'s and 19 #'s, totalling 32 #'s. We then weighed a set of stainless headers I have from my mustang which were at 11 #'s each, long tube. Now estimating a shorty would weigh approx. 6 #'s which would total 17 #'s for stainless compared to 32 #'s for the cast pieces. 15 #'s is hardly worth the effort when it can be taken out MUCH cheaper from other things on the nose of the car. Holesaw the front bumper and weigh the metal taken out for example. We already know we can make over 800rwhp with these manifolds in stock trim and will be extrude honing a set shortly for an C5R project.
We also know the intercoolers are good for over 700rwhp in their stock locations in both the vette and F-body applications and I should have the 4.5" cores on a few cars shortly. The 4.5's should exceed 900rwhp without a significant pressure drop. Be careful with the front mount and cooling issues as there have been issues when modifying the stock cooling path on both the f-body and C5 even with bigger radiators.

Tom Porter
here is an old post by tom porter, about the manifolds. With this info, i would skip it, here is the whole thread, not about extrude honing, but some info on manifolds. (old, fron 01)

https://ls1tech.com/threads/showthre...mp;sb=5&o=

Ryan.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ryan,

Thanks for posting that...it is some really good information. Funny that the post mentions 4.5" intercoolers, since I am going there as well. I am hoping to have the intercoolers by the time the new motor goes in.

I am going to try and get in touch with Tom and see what the outcome of the extrude honed manifolds was...I have a feeling that it was for the Die Hard 2 project car on the Stropes Performace site.

Regardless, I will post the before and after numbers from the extrude honing.

Keep em' coming!
Old 05-06-2003, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is an update...

I dropped the manifolds, exhaust housings, and compressor housings off at West Coast Cylinder Heads. Richard is going to port match the manifolds to the exhaust gaskets (looks like they are up to a 1/4 inch off in some places), port match the exhaust housings with the manifolds (these actually looked pretty good), and clean up some little things in the exhaust housings that he didn't like.

After the clean-up he is going to flow test them...then they will be off to Extrude Hone.

For those that are interested I will keep updating this thread on the progress...as well as before and after flow numbers.
Old 05-17-2003, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another update...

I picked up the parts from West Coast Cylinder Heads today. Basically Richard port matched the manifolds to the gaskets. He also did a little porting on the dump tubes where they mate to the exhaust housings...apparently there was a large ledge that was blocking flow.

The manifolds are going to Extrude Hone on monday so that they can work their magic.

I won't be able to provide before and after flow numbers like I had planned...there is simply too much effort involved in flowing the manifolds, but I can tell from looking at them that they are already WAY better then they were.

I have some pics of before and after if someone can host them.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:01 AM
Teching In

I plan to do this my self. I'm curious how your turned out.

I would like to see some pics if you've got them
Could you send them to: Bad02WS6@yahoo.com

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2003, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

No problem, I will DL the pictures from my camera when I get home and email them to you.

I will send you a few of the befores now.

Scott
Old 05-19-2003, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I forgot to mention the big lip on the exhaust dump pipe. Since I had the plasure of assembling the turbos myself I had to grind the crap out of them.

Question for you Scott (unrelated to honing). I just was inspecting my passenger side intercooler and found about teaspoon of oil in the inlet. It appears to be coming from the fresh air line that is plumbed from the valve cover to just behind the air cleaner. None on the otherside, or of course it could be I messed up the seals on the turbo. Being that they only have 300 miles on them and the small quanity, plus the fact that none got through the intercooler it looks more like from the fresh air line. Anybody else had this happen.

Also how much air flow are you getting at idle, throttle blade closed. I am getting about half the air flow that I would if disconnect the maf from the butt pipe. Anyway trying to narrow that down. Probably the intercoolers. Being that I am 4200 ft it makes a huge difference for the running air flow tables. I have had to drop the running air flow tables by 50 %.

Gary
Old 05-19-2003, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I forgot to mention the big lip on the exhaust dump pipe. Since I had the plasure of assembling the turbos myself I had to grind the crap out of them.
Yeah...talk about an airflow restriction. That is a high pressure area as well, so I know that the material that was taken out there is going to help a lot!

All that I really want the extrude honing to accomplish is to take out some of the imperfections in the castings and smooth things out a bit...

Question for you Scott (unrelated to honing). I just was inspecting my passenger side intercooler and found about teaspoon of oil in the inlet. It appears to be coming from the fresh air line that is plumbed from the valve cover to just behind the air cleaner. None on the otherside, or of course it could be I messed up the seals on the turbo. Being that they only have 300 miles on them and the small quanity, plus the fact that none got through the intercooler it looks more like from the fresh air line. Anybody else had this happen.
I never ran the fresh air line to the valve cover...I just tossed a small filter on it and called it a day.

I figured that I would address the line later after I had a chance to think about it and...I never thought about it again

Also how much air flow are you getting at idle, throttle blade closed. I am getting about half the air flow that I would if disconnect the maf from the butt pipe. Anyway trying to narrow that down. Probably the intercoolers. Being that I am 4200 ft it makes a huge difference for the running air flow tables. I have had to drop the running air flow tables by 50 %.
Gary
I can't answer this one very well. I don't have a lot of recent autotap logs...I upgraded to the windows version of the software and it kept crashing and freezing, so I just stopped using it.

I used the scanmaster and the wideband for the majority of my tuning...but the car never had any kind of idle trouble so I never really concentrated my time there. You might want to post on the ls1edit list and see if anyone with the Incon setup has some logs from idle.

Scott
Old 05-19-2003, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, forget the extrude honing...they posted their new price list a few weeks ago and won't match the prices that they quoted me anymore...$625 for just the manifolds now ($125 increase). All of the component pieces are $90 now ($15 increase). So the total to have the extrude honing done = $625 (manifolds) + $180 (2x$90 compressor covers) + $180 (2x$90 exhaust housings) + $180 (2x$90 dump tubes) = $1165

Oh well, it was a good idea while it lasted I guess...these things are going to Jet-Hot tomorrow.

Scott

Quick Reply: Extrude Honing Cast Incon Manifolds