Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

corvette twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 08:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by presto_z
thats pretty freakin cramped in there.. keep us updated on this.. i wonder how the fbody kits fit

ohh and do you plan to stepup the boost.. isnt 4 a little low?

the engine is 100% stock,dont want to turn it up and break the engine.Cant do anything with it the way it is,has stock wheels and tires,spins through 4th gear
Old 06-14-2007, 09:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i had a buddy stop by who knows turbos and has turbo'ed everything from sbc's to h22's to his newest project (a dunebuggy with a 1.0l geo metro motor.haha) and he took a look at the turbos.. he says the tolerences are great, everything is nice and tight and they are made by air research so it looks like they are not as cheap as many seem to think they are...

well ill keep updating as i get info

EDIT: upon further investigation the turbos are made with garret internals
Well I guess that settles it then. Cooter says its ok so then it must be so.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

well i had a buddy stop by who knows turbos and has turbo'ed everything from sbc's to h22's to his newest project (a dunebuggy with a 1.0l geo metro motor.haha) and he took a look at the turbos.. he says the tolerences are great, everything is nice and tight and they are made by air research so it looks like they are not as cheap as many seem to think they are...

well ill keep updating as i get info

EDIT: upon further investigation the turbos are made with garret internals

Last i heard garret is owned by honeywell, and air research has not had thier names on turbos since the late 80's maybe even early 90's. but then again i do not know much of lots of the new stuff out there.

and watch out as i know of more than a few turbos that were sold as factory fresh garret rebuilds to fail within 500 miles. best bet is just have them rebuilt and rebalanced NOW as most ebay turbos last a fair amount if you use good parts as the housings are of better quality now.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Those are NOT Garrett turbos. We do R&D here for MANY turbo comps. so we know what to look for. Don't be fooled......also the turbine housing nor the comp cover have casting markers, which means not a Garrett. Also you can see no balacning marks on the turbine wheel.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

well he is puttin um on anyways so we will see.. the way i look at it is if this kit is an exact ptk replica and is made out of the best material (keep in mind the hot side is all stainless) and costs over 5k less then he is well ahead of the game and can easily get some turbos for way less then that....

im really debating on ordering the fbody one (looks exactly the same as the PTK) and just getting a good turbo to be safe and still be out the door with lots of extra cash in hand

if this is against the sponsor rules (i didnt list a price or seller) then ill delete this post or a mod will do it for me...

EDIT: if i do get the fbody kit im going to have the turbo tore down and fully inspected and rebuilt (if its worth it) if not ill be gettin a new one

Last edited by presto_z; 06-15-2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

dont order anything for your car until you see how his goes. good luck.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah im deff. waiting till he puts his kit on, if there are no major problems ill be ordering one.. to bad nobody on here has the fbody one on their car.. i sure would like to know how everything fits or what needs to be moved (i think the alt will need to be relocated)
Old 06-19-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

found this http://www.nonsponserlink

it was a link to another ls1 forum about this kit.. guess im not allowed to do that..

Last edited by presto_z; 06-19-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah im deff. waiting till he puts his kit on, if there are no major problems ill be ordering one.. to bad nobody on here has the fbody one on their car.. i sure would like to know how everything fits or what needs to be moved (i think the alt will need to be relocated)
There are like four people here, not including me, that have (or have had) the F-body PTK kit, just so you know.

The knock off I'm not so sure.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

well he started the install today.. so here are a few pics.. its going to be a tight fit, but everything is going pretty good so far..

one of the holes on the flange was off by about 1/16 to an 1/8 of an inch, just enough to where the bolt wouldnt start, so he had to open it up just a tad...

ill post more pics as the install moves along (no instructions, so everything is being played by ear)
Old 07-02-2007, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

Looks decent so far. Just install and then everyone can rag on it if its junk. The only issue I see is the turbos. All the pipes are made out of the same **** that everyone else makes theres out of without the name. Can't wait to see the results.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:34 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I look forward to seeing results from this one.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well he started the install today.. so here are a few pics.. its going to be a tight fit, but everything is going pretty good so far..

one of the holes on the flange was off by about 1/16 to an 1/8 of an inch, just enough to where the bolt wouldnt start, so he had to open it up just a tad...

ill post more pics as the install moves along (no instructions, so everything is being played by ear)
looks good! have you seen Nick Yoskins vette on the vette forum??? he has the PTK kit and has done some work to it! looks really cool. well worth checking out.

Chris.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hope you are just trial-fitting the headers in that pic and aren't actually planning on not wrapping that system. Or were you just planning on melting your engine bay??? 1500* pipes 1/4 inch from metal and plastic parts tends to get things toasty!
Old 07-03-2007, 04:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SStolen
I hope you are just trial-fitting the headers in that pic and aren't actually planning on not wrapping that system. Or were you just planning on melting your engine bay??? 1500* pipes 1/4 inch from metal and plastic parts tends to get things toasty!

A little bit more then just toasty. I had my PTK parts coated with swaintech
Old 07-03-2007, 05:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

ya just a quick test fit here.. if you look closly the wastegate is not on all the way.. it was mostly to see how everything was going to line up....
Old 07-03-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the kit didnt come with the necessary gaskets so the final fitting has yet to be done, but we are still making headway on all the different things that need to be modded. today we changed the mounting location of the radiator closer to the front of the car and tilted it a bit with the brackets provided, and had to re-bend some of the a/c lines to make everything fit correctly.. all the piping on the pass. side seems to hookup very well and tightly (havnt started the drivers side yet) we also tapped some threads into the EGR on the header... and the verdict is no wrap on the headers or downpipe, all the wiring is going to be moved out of harms way and will be wrapped to be sure..

tomorrow we'll prolly relocate the alternator, relocate the powersteering resivior, and the overflow tank.. and start removing the stock crap on the drivers side

here you see the relocation of the radiator

and the bracket supplied

just another random shot

tapping the egr

looks nice sofar

Last edited by presto_z; 02-22-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Does the hood strut have room to fold back down when closing the hood? Looks like it may hit the turbos???
Old 07-03-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya it will.. they fold down and forward.. not back
Old 07-04-2007, 01:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

coat and wrap thoes headers!!!!! heat will be a problem otherwise. this info has come directly form guys that have fitted PTK/S kits.

also you will want to relocate the coil packs. if you mount them low they dont have to run anywhere as near to the headers as if you dont.

thanks Chris.

Quick Reply: corvette twin turbo