which is better...procharger or vortech

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:45 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by will82
ATI has the best head units. That's about it.

Their kits leave much to be desired. Private vendors like A&A and ECS had to make custom kits for C5s because the ProCharger kit sucked. Then there was a scuffle between them because ProCharger wanted people to buy their kit and they wouldn't just sell the head units to a&a or ecs anymore. I'm not going to say the move was wrong, but it is a FACT that a few innocent customers were caught in the crossfire and left without head units because ProCharger refused to ship them. Their service also leaves a lot to be desired. Actually, unless you spend a ton of $$$ with them it's usually non-existant. I gave up trying to get anything out of them long ago. And I've been in arguments here with someone who apparently works there, and his attitude was disgusting not to mention ignorant. Instead of addressing the problem he just blew off an entire group of perfomance enthusiasts and insulted their mechanical abilities. Anyone who spends any time in the c5 forced induction section on corvetteforum knows there are some hardcore, high hp wrench turners who know their stuff, including a few gents who designed BETTER kits using ProCharger's head units. It's a shame too because they have a great product, and their newer kits are actually becoming much better in terms of overall quality. An attitude adjustment could really help them get more sales. They even redesigned the c5 kit to be much better. Of course whoever I talked to on the phone a while back wouldn't sell me their new stage 2 bracket, they wanted me to buy a whole new kit. A vendor on this board luckily was able to quote me a price, but I eventually decided to spend the extra $$$ to get the best and went with the ECS bracket instead, and truth be told I was pissed about getting the run-around and having to go to someone else to get the part I wanted so my decision was partly out of spite.

I don't know much about the F-Body setups, but since Bob at EPP has a custom front-mount intercooler kit available for sale I'm guessing the base ProCharger kit is just as crappy as their original c5 kits.

They make good power, they sound awesome, and they use their own oil. But make sure you buy a custom kit like the one from EPP, and make sure you buy from a reputable/experienced tuner who can be your tech support. But I would definately go with a ProCharger head unit, and do yourself a favor and spend the extra $200 now to get a D1SC instead of a P1SC. If you wait to upgrade, you're only option to change is ProCharger and they'll charge you $1500 to upgrade the head unit.

Thanks for the compliments on here, I appreciate it! The 4.5" twin intercoolers that come standard with the ATI ProCharger 1GJ204-SCI D-1SC kit work very well until you are boosting 14 psi and higher. The 4.5" intercoolers probably are sufficient for 95% of the people who have bought these kits. There are always going to be people wanting to push further, and custom modifications have to be performed to make a front mount intercooler fit. If ATI had everyone performing these modifications, 95% of the their customer's would be complaining.
There is always going to be afermarket suppliers stepping in to offer upgrades. With the head units being the most expensive item, we are fortunate that ATI ProCharger has produced excellent head units that make a lot of power. You can rest assured that when you purchase an ATI ProCharger D-1SC system, you are buying a kit that can also produce a lot of power when you decide to forge your engine and want to crank up the boost. Bob
Old 06-21-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by will82
ATI has the best head units. That's about it.

I'm not going to say the move was wrong, but it is a FACT that a few innocent customers were caught in the crossfire and left without head units because ProCharger refused to ship them. Their service also leaves a lot to be desired. Actually, unless you spend a ton of $$$ with them it's usually non-existant. I gave up trying to get anything out of them long ago. And I've been in arguments here with someone who apparently works there, and his attitude was disgusting not to mention ignorant. Instead of addressing the problem he just blew off an entire group of perfomance enthusiasts and insulted their mechanical abilities. Anyone who spends any time in the c5 forced induction section on corvetteforum knows there are some hardcore, high hp wrench turners who know their stuff, including a few gents who designed BETTER kits using ProCharger's head units. It's a shame too because they have a great product, and their newer kits are actually becoming much better in terms of overall quality. An attitude adjustment could really help them get more sales. They even redesigned the c5 kit to be much better. Of course whoever I talked to on the phone a while back wouldn't sell me their new stage 2 bracket, they wanted me to buy a whole new kit. A vendor on this board luckily was able to quote me a price, but I eventually decided to spend the extra $$$ to get the best and went with the ECS bracket instead, and truth be told I was pissed about getting the run-around and having to go to someone else to get the part I wanted so my decision was partly out of spite.

While I take issue with a few things you've said, I'll address a couple. First, please leave CF conjecture on CF. We don't need that here and you are not apprised of the details, nor should you be.

Second ATI has offered the HO to StageII upgrade for about 2 years now and its available in components and stages. These are available direct to the public and are often sold that way, however ATI does appreciate dealer involvement but its not necessary with the upgrade kits.

ATI continues to offer replacement components for nearly all systems and can repair over 95% of the superchargers that have ever built.

I would apologize for your experieince with ATI if I thought it happened, but since I'm pretty darn close to all those guys I don't believe it did. Maybe you ran into an impersonator??

Having personally dealt with many people contributing in this post I hope that purchase decisions are also affected by the people you chose to deal with, at least it used to be that way.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:28 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by andereck
While I take issue with a few things you've said, I'll address a couple. First, please leave CF conjecture on CF. We don't need that here and you are not apprised of the details, nor should you be.

Second ATI has offered the HO to StageII upgrade for about 2 years now and its available in components and stages. These are available direct to the public and are often sold that way, however ATI does appreciate dealer involvement but its not necessary with the upgrade kits.

ATI continues to offer replacement components for nearly all systems and can repair over 95% of the superchargers that have ever built.

I would apologize for your experieince with ATI if I thought it happened, but since I'm pretty darn close to all those guys I don't believe it did. Maybe you ran into an impersonator??

Having personally dealt with many people contributing in this post I hope that purchase decisions are also affected by the people you chose to deal with, at least it used to be that way.

I agree with Mark 100%, don't believe everything over on that forum-you may not even realize it but Procharger even sponser's that website. I have " someones" custom kit but recently decided that I would like to order up the new "stage 2" bracket-bracket only, not the whole kit. It was just a matter of calling the right person-Bob over at EPP.

We have sponsers that take care of us and hear us loud and clear, good or bad-it's in there best interest to take care of us. EPP does that very well.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Banned

I have a question for you S/C guys because I have plans in the near future and would like some advice.

How are Procharger's for long haul trips/durability/reliability ???
I plan on getting a newer LS1 T/A and will most likely get forged internals so the motor will be more then up to the task.

But my question is more focused with the Supercharger itself because I have read on here once or twice they get hot on long hauls and should not be driven on long trips/road cruises...

is this is anyway true? Any merit to this?
Not to high jack the thread but I didn't feel like starting a new one for one hopefully simple question.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:41 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by burnzilla
I have a question for you S/C guys because I have plans in the near future and would like some advice.

How are Procharger's for long haul trips/durability/reliability ???
I plan on getting a newer LS1 T/A and will most likely get forged internals so the motor will be more then up to the task.

But my question is more focused with the Supercharger itself because I have read on here once or twice they get hot on long hauls and should not be driven on long trips/road cruises...

is this is anyway true? Any merit to this?
Not to high jack the thread but I didn't feel like starting a new one for one hopefully simple question.

Never heard that one myself.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

The superchargers are completely appropriate for cross country long haul type vacation driving. Several ProCharger house cars just completed the HotRod PowerTour without issue, including the new HemiRam system. Where you might see heat is if you have a massive blower pullied for big airflow and you're just cruising. In that case I suggest the bypass valve ahead of the intercooler as the compressor is working under those conditions, but you're not using the air and it can get a bit hot. This would be like an F1C or F2 or larger on the street. The superchargers are made of aluminum and will absorb underhood heat, but not complain about it. Typical oil sump temperature with a P1SC or D1SC is 120 degrees or less under hard use in applications without a ton of heat soak.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:43 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

I've never heard of that either. When I was shopping for a used kit, I came across a P-1SC with close to like 100k miles on it and everything was in great working order on it. It was just too many miles for my comfort level, but last I heard the person who bought it is still running it with no issues. I've got over 20k miles on my P1SC since I bought it when it had 10k on it already. So 30k miles and still running perfect

+1 for Bob and EPP. Even though I bought my kit used, Bob has helped me out on miscellaneous upgrades and things here and there. Great guy to deal with
Old 06-21-2007, 06:20 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by eb02z06
Well i just recently dyno'd some customers C5's witht the 2 most popular kits for the C5-the Vortech and the Novi. The Vortech was actually a JT trim. Bottom line both blowers have a very hard time making 16 psi on a 402 with either of these C5 kits. These guys both wanted big power-guess what there both 100 rwhp shy of my 347 with a F1R. Go figure. I'll be testing Procharger's newer C5 bracket very soon as well-if your not happy with the offerings make your voice heard-it doesn't fall on deaf ears. Oh and another thing-I got a used D1SC coming soon too-I bet yeah it will make more power on a 347 than the JT and the Novi on a 402-ain't the internet grand!!!
Well you are not comparing apples to apples in that comparison. And I am not knocking what you are saying, but I know the Novi 2000 has made well over 850rwhp on some larger CI motors the smaller JT trim you are talking about would not flow nearly enough air to make huge numbers, but a YSI would impress a lot of people, but is still not as large as your F1R. You would have to compare it to a D1 and then you would be on a little better playing feild etc... There CFM ratings are different and can not compare the two, but like I said earlier the ATI D1 or F1 is better suited for this application for sure.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:56 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

It is officially thrash time on the MSD-V. Two weeks ago, we shot a couple pics of the V at Squeeg's Kustoms in Mesa, AZ before they applied the fresh red and black. The interior was completely gutted so Brian at Concept Works could dial-in our seats. We're scheduled to have the car back in El Paso for assembly and detail work by the end of the week.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the MSD team was mounting the ProCharger and getting 408 LS2 ready to drop back in between the fenders. We really need to thank the guys at Exotic Performance Plus for their help in getting the right parts to fit the ProCharger under the hood. Be sure to check out their website for all sorts of cool go-fast late model parts.

MSD took their CTS-V on the Hot Rod Power Tour with our ATI ProCharger D-1SC kit last Summer. Bob
Old 06-21-2007, 09:18 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Well you are not comparing apples to apples in that comparison. And I am not knocking what you are saying, but I know the Novi 2000 has made well over 850rwhp on some larger CI motors the smaller JT trim you are talking about would not flow nearly enough air to make huge numbers, but a YSI would impress a lot of people, but is still not as large as your F1R. You would have to compare it to a D1 and then you would be on a little better playing feild etc... There CFM ratings are different and can not compare the two, but like I said earlier the ATI D1 or F1 is better suited for this application for sure.
I agree but one glaring problem with the either the Novi or the Ysi is the stepup ratio-try to spin those suckers up to redline with a 8 rib and a 3" blower pulley and a belt that's over 89" and you'll get the idea real quick. FWIW-there are YSi cars over at the CF forum that are not making as much power as my Procharged 347. last time i checked there was a 427 with a YSi that just got over 900 rwhp-go figure?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:52 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by eb02z06
I agree but one glaring problem with the either the Novi or the Ysi is the stepup ratio-try to spin those suckers up to redline with a 8 rib and a 3" blower pulley and a belt that's over 89" and you'll get the idea real quick. FWIW-there are YSi cars over at the CF forum that are not making as much power as my Procharged 347. last time i checked there was a 427 with a YSi that just got over 900 rwhp-go figure?
The Novi has been known to be one of the only one's you could put a really small pulley on and not have any belt slip, but not very widely used and I don't really care for them, but it was just another one that was mentioned earlier in the post etc... And the YSI making 900 that is real good power for that unit as it is really close to the D1 in flow comparisons and so that backs up what I have seen also. There was an Austrailian car that made a very large number with a YSI I don't remember exactly, but I think it was about 1-1.2K which blew me away that has been a year or so since I saw the video etc...The CI don't mean as much on a FI don't get me wrong I am not saying them mean nothing just not as big a deal as it is on a N/A set up etc... But you do have a very nice set up on your car so props to you brother! Didn't mean to hijack.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

[QUOTE=Inspector12] There was an Austrailian car that made a very large number with a YSI I don't remember exactly, but I think it was about 1-1.2K which blew me away that has been a year or so since I saw the video etc../QUOTE]

The Black ute, run by Craig's Auto's and Pete/Plan B I believe, runs 8.2 at circa 165mph or so.
Not sure on power, but last I read, it was a 408ci on a YSi.

Then there is Big Shaun's new race car from down under. He had belt issues, but managed a best trap speed of around 170mph....and the belt broke during that run.

But comparing power figures is one thing....are all these engines built the same ? tuned the same ? using the same fuel ?

Has anyone tried back to back tests with different blowers ( of like size ) to see if one does perform better ?
Old 06-22-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ati has done me right every time. Nothing else has compared in bang for the buck for me.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

Never had a prob with ATI, only minor slip with the 6-rib kit...went f1-r 8 rib on my 408...no slip.... 15-20 psi.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ran its course, both companies make great street kits.

If you need more info, there was a 1 billion page post on this EXACT same topic, search it out...plus all the other lil ones along the way.

Quick Reply: which is better...procharger or vortech