Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Guys...what do you do for tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 03:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh @ KYTP
It is mostly personal prefrence. They will both do the job and do it well. I found the FAST XFI/XIM to be a more professional looking software then BS3. I think AEM is better than them both. It requires and injector driver so I ruled it out. Like I said before it is a personal prefrence based on the software for me. FAST customer service has been awesome too. Each will do the job.

Kyle the touch screen data logger is bad ***. I will send ya a pm when I get home from work.
You are picking it for the software, but think of your customers that have to shell out another grand or more just to end up with an inferior EMU (with "prettier" software??) when compared with big stuff 3. I actually like the 'no frills' look of big stuff because it makes everything simpler to use.

My decision to go big stuff 3 was easy. I saw all the fastest street/race fuel injected cars (especially turbo cars) using it and saw it was also the less expensive option. My next car will have big stuff and so will the one after that!

As far as customer service goes, well, I had a problem that all the experts couldn't figure out and John offered to take a look at the car himself. Within an hour or two, he had the problem nailed down and we had the fix in our hands. Went back a few days later and took him for a ride. Now you can't beat that kind of customer service in my opinion! The guy flat out loves cars and loves to help people get on the track/street.

We are also running an ls1 big stuff 3 box on my buddy's 355 LT1. Nothing cooler than using LS1 coilpacks with a cam-sync/crank trigger and then not worrying about anything else ignition related like we had to with the opti.

Just my opinion based on my experiences with John/Big Stuff 3.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:31 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,205 Likes on 773 Posts

I run BS3, it's the most comprehensive aftermarket solution out there.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Banned

I never knocked BS3. I had it, used it, and sold it when I parted out my car. As far as the new FAST XFI ECU and XIM ignition controller goes, yes its 2 seperate boxes but the hardware is hardly inferior. Even when compared to BS3. I sell Comp Cams products. I will try anything once and alot twice. I decided to give the FAST XFI a shot and I like it. Yes some of the fastest LS1 cars using BS3. I look across the board. I do alot of Ford stuff along with whatever else my customers ask for. Ther are alot of top racers out there who Pimp the GEN 7, Fast, AEM, ect... It is soley personal prefrence. They will all get the job done. You may as well pick the one you like working with and use it.

You like BS3 and you promote it.
I like FAST XFI and I promote it.
It gets the job done eigther way it goes...
Old 06-27-2007, 04:39 PM
9 Second Club

Stock PCM, HPT 3 bar, I tune it myself.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
$2k? I paid $1700.00 for my BS3 brand new in the box
PLEASE tell me from where (or PM me if its a non-sponsor) as I was quoted $2400 w/ DAI by two different shops (one sponsor, one not)...that makes it even more appealing.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:21 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,205 Likes on 773 Posts

I'm not knocking FAST XFI at all, I'm sure it's much better than the old FAST system I had a few years ago. I'd agreed that the screens in BS3 look a bit dated.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:22 PM
8 Second Club

I never knocked BS3. I had it, used it, and sold it when I parted out my car. As far as the new FAST XFI ECU and XIM ignition controller goes, yes its 2 seperate boxes but the hardware is hardly inferior. Even when compared to BS3. I sell Comp Cams products. I will try anything once and alot twice. I decided to give the FAST XFI a shot and I like it. Yes some of the fastest LS1 cars using BS3. I look across the board. I do alot of Ford stuff along with whatever else my customers ask for. Ther are alot of top racers out there who Pimp the GEN 7, Fast, AEM, ect... It is soley personal prefrence. They will all get the job done. You may as well pick the one you like working with and use it.

You like BS3 and you promote it.
I like FAST XFI and I promote it.
It gets the job done eigther way it goes...
That's like saying the Lions are a better team over the last 10 years than the Eagles (I was born in Philly )and then saying it's just personal preference concerning which team has done more...is it???
Old 06-27-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LTLHOMER
That's like saying the Lions are a better team over the last 10 years than the Eagles (I was born in Philly )and then saying it's just personal preference concerning which team has done more...is it???
yep, because the Packers OWNS them both regardless, lol.

Seriously though, I think that I have to agree with Josh on just about all systems will get it done w/o hesitation...But the answer to your question could go either way.
Hard facts are hard facts, thats unavoidable in the long run. But just beacuse one has done more doesnt neccessarily mean they are the absolute best.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Banned

I dont watch football so you lost me on that one...

Point I am getting at it weather you choose to use FAST, BS3, GEN 7, AEM, Motec, and the list goes on. What does it really matter what eninge managment system we use as long as it does the thing that are needed and you like it. I have yet to see an engine in a LS1 car that eigther FAST or BS3 could not tune.

Here's one for ya:

I like potatoe soup. My wife likes tomatoe soup. We both wont eat the other. But in the end we both are full when done eating our prefered soup.

Best advice I can give to everyone on the fence it to look around. Search threads. Buy one and tune your heart out with it. Then go out and try build an LS1 engine that you just cant tune with it .
Old 06-27-2007, 05:42 PM
8 Second Club

I dont watch football so you lost me on that one...

Point I am getting at it weather you choose to use FAST, BS3, GEN 7, AEM, Motec, and the list goes on. What does it really matter what eninge managment system we use as long as it does the thing that are needed and you like it. I have yet to see an engine in a LS1 car that eigther FAST or BS3 could not tune.

Here's one for ya:

I like potatoe soup. My wife likes tomatoe soup. We both wont eat the other. But in the end we both are full when done eating our prefered soup.

Best advice I can give to everyone on the fence it to look around. Search threads. Buy one and tune your heart out with it. Then go out and try build an LS1 engine that you just cant tune with it .
Hey there's nothing wrong with rooting for the 2nd place team. Just don't go around telling everyone they are first in the division when they're not.

It's all about value. Those systems do not cost the same so in theory if they could all achieve the same level of success, the cheaper one would be the best option. I am saying that they are not all equal in either price or performance and if you need convincing, ask the fastest turbo car at the track next time you are out and he'll tell you.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Banned

I could debate the point all night but wont. There is no point in it. FAST does everything I need it to and then some. BS3 does the same for you. We both get what we want out of our systems, HP.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Never used the Fast but BS3 is very user friendly and pretty simple to use.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Josh,

Shoot me the PM.

Ill prob be going with FAST. My buddy has no problem tuning his 2400hp turbo car with it and its the older box.... so ill have help.... and for me i can get the new FAST set-up with both boxes, datalogging, and the 6" dispaly for less then i can get BS3....

Kyle
Old 06-27-2007, 07:19 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Josh,

Shoot me the PM.

Ill prob be going with FAST. My buddy has no problem tuning his 2400hp turbo car with it and its the older box.... so ill have help.... and for me i can get the new FAST set-up with both boxes, datalogging, and the 6" dispaly for less then i can get BS3....

Kyle
What does it cost for all FAST stuff together?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Banned

I won't lie. Considering the cost of the BS3 recently, You dont want to know. It is around $3800 retail going out of the Comp Catalog. Thats for the XFI & XIM with the required harnesses. Toss is the Touch screen data logger and all the other fun stuff and you can hit close to $5000 quick. Thats retail. I will help any LS1Tech member out with the pricing.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:36 PM
8 Second Club

I won't lie. Considering the cost of the BS3 recently, You dont want to know. It is around $3800 retail going out of the Comp Catalog. Thats for the XFI & XIM with the required harnesses. Toss is the Touch screen data logger and all the other fun stuff and you can hit close to $5000 quick. Thats retail. I will help any LS1Tech member out with the pricing.
Hey Kyle how is this cheaper than big stuff 3?
Old 06-27-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, thats the main thing that turned me off to the FAST system (the price vs. BS3)...ECU, Main harness, Injector harness, and XIM are all req'd to run it on the Gen III platform (all separate part numbers/purchases). and the BS3 comes with everything you need for OVER a grand less!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 6techniques
yeah, thats the main thing that turned me off to the FAST system (the price vs. BS3)...ECU, Main harness, Injector harness, and XIM are all req'd to run it on the Gen III platform (all separate part numbers/purchases). and the BS3 comes with everything you need for OVER a grand less!
You are very correct. That and the BS3 works very well. Its a personal prefrence and budget decision. They are both extremley capable products.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Kyle how is this cheaper than big stuff 3?

I didnt say it was cheaper then BS3......

I said it was cheaper for ME.......
Im paying less then what you can get BS3 for XFI...

Thats what i said................
Old 06-28-2007, 10:12 AM
11Second Club

Let me interject a stupid, newbie question in the midst of this debate. I'm assuming that BS3, FAST, and all these other products you're mentioning are complete replacements for the stock PCM?

Quick Reply: Turbo Guys...what do you do for tuning?