Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo or pro charger

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo or pro charger

I have about $8000. I would like to get the bang for the buck. Should I go with the F1 or the ls1 motorsports T88? I know that I have to build a block. But for which one?
Old 05-07-2003, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: turbo or pro charger

Well I've been back and forth on the decision for over a year and a half now. (I guess it's better to think it out and get what you really are going to want.) First it was a turbo, then a P-1sc ati blower, then and incon twin turbo, then an ati D-1sc, then heads and cam, then single turbo again, then ati F-1, now it's back to a twin turbo setup (maybe even a custom setup from a turbo shop in town). After seeing Harlan's car move the way it does, I am dead set again on a TT setup. Plus I just drove a big turboed RUF Porsche and love the way the power came on. It was actually usable on the street! I can only imagine the power and torque when coupled to a V8. I love the rocketship feel of a turbo car. Plus it feels good to beat a supra at their own game That and if i ever have any troubles Harlan-the master at tuning and twin turbos in this area is only an hour away, (45min if your in a car that moves :p) I don't know why the decision wasn't more obvious but now I finally know. If I were you I would go the turbo route. Better daily driver, don't have to worry about belt slip when actually running decent boost, and no one will know it's there until you wind it up. Sorry if long. Hope you figure it out. I hear Rob's is one of the best out there.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Each has there advantages/disadvantages...

I was in the same boat w/decisions, but the LS1motorsports kit came out to be too much, I'm running an ATI D-1SC now...

Who knows, in the future when I got nothing else better to do w/my dollars, I might switch over to a large single turbo, but for now I'm fine w/the supercharger squeal and some mad power...
Old 05-08-2003, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I like my ATI D-1SC. If I had a never ending amount of money I would have gone with a Twin Turbo setup. It would be nice to have the power at any RPM without winding the RPMs up first. When I finally get my tuning dead on, I know I'll have a lot of fun with the supercharger. Its loud but when people hear it they know you've got power. You get a lot of looks when they hear the whine. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Justin
Old 05-08-2003, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

$8000 will barely get you the turbo kit, but it would definitely be the best bang for the buck.

Do you have the rear end/suspension/tranny done yet? I would get a new fuel system, maybe a stroker kit (definitely new pistons and rods), really good heads, cam biased towards boost, drivetrain (rear end, clutch or trannie, stall conv), slicks and skinnies, etc. Then once you get the foundation, start thinking about a turbo kit. A T-88 is good for low nines / high eight's when well tuned.

Without that, you are just going to frustrate yourself. Just a rear end, tires, and a clutch or stall convertor is about $4000+ (+installation)! Don't forget $400 in gauges, too. All I am saying is make sure you look at all the cost invloved in what you need to reach your horsepower goals. Putting 600 on the ground is no good if you break something everytime you hit full throttle.

-Geoff
Old 05-08-2003, 01:07 PM
Teching In

I am very happy with my single turbo setup. A T88 is a big turbo and you will be spending a lot more than 8000 to set the car up to handle that bad boy. I am running a T60-1. I almost got the ATI D-1SC, but once I saw some turbo cars at the shop, I was convinced that I wanted the turbo setup instead. You will probably like either one, but it's gonna cost you a lot!
Old 05-08-2003, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the info. I've already bought a 400 turbo, 12bolt, and all the suspension goodys. The only thing I'am missing is the block. I dont know what ci to go with, or if I should make it an iron or an Alu. block. Should I bye the c5 block? See the way I see it is, if Im going to spend that much money. Shouldnt I just bye the best. I know that theres more to all this. I just want to get everything and get it all out of the way and go to the track and have some fun.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Lee Howie is doing a turbo set up for us. I can tell you to do it right it will cost alot more than 8k. I would start with a good short block build up and buget to get what you need as you can. You never stated what your goals are for the car. That the first thing you will need to decide.

Darren
Old 05-08-2003, 09:05 PM
7 Second Club

Turbo all the way.After reading your post I,m thinking you want big power.A blower will have you needing Prozac when you break belts every pass.I got rid of my D-1,still havent seen anyone making big power(550rwhp)without neverending problems.Turbo is the way too go LS1MS T-76 would be good fit for you,t-88 opens big can of worms
Old 05-10-2003, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

I want to go low 9s or high eights. I'll go as big as I can go on those ci's.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:16 AM
12 Second Club

If you want high 8s, I would say take that $8000 figure and multiply it by 4.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:53 AM
7 Second Club

With C5R block turbo kit,fuel system you need to have about $30-40.000.Im using 6.0 block bored and stroked with all the goodies LS1MS T-76 kit and will be close to 30 grand.That is with ARE doing everything.If your looking for 8s I think sbc with custom big thumper turbo would be cheaper and make more power,(did I say cheap and custom turbo in same sentence).Good luck let us know.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

It's all about the cubic $ to get this things going.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:53 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Single turbo all the way.

Quick Reply: turbo or pro charger