Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

project turbo_z

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008 | 09:50 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
put 100 miles on the kit today...didnt push it too hard but used 8lbs of boost several times rolling...acts like the motor is now alive in overdrive

Personally I'd be scared of loading it up down low in OD with a mail order tune. A mail order tune is nice thing to use to get a turbo car to a tuner in-person. Just my 2cents, lots of money spent on the whole process to skimp on the tune. Best case scenario it's down on HP, worst case... well, I don't have to tell you about that. Not trying to preach though, if things look good on your wideband then that is some nice reassurance.
Old 02-19-2008 | 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

my racetronix fuel pump and harness came in today.. im almost ready to throw it all together

im wanting to head up to Orlando next weekend to get my stuff coated by whistler at FX ceramic coatings
Old 02-19-2008 | 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Frost
Personally I'd be scared of loading it up down low in OD with a mail order tune. A mail order tune is nice thing to use to get a turbo car to a tuner in-person. Just my 2cents, lots of money spent on the whole process to skimp on the tune. Best case scenario it's down on HP, worst case... well, I don't have to tell you about that. Not trying to preach though, if things look good on your wideband then that is some nice reassurance.
I second that, I wouldn't even build boost at all. Limp it to the dyno, I'd be shitting even doing that.
Old 02-20-2008 | 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

My car didn't even what to start or stay running after a mail order tune from a sponsor on camaro***.com. sent it back to him and still pretty much the same deal.....
Old 02-22-2008 | 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hi,
I've wrote this up for people who need an idea on the kit's assembly and headaches to be expected
or those who are just curious
First I'll start by saying i found the pictures of the not so shinny pipped (rough draft) of the kit on the net..when i needed help..
i dont have any under shots of my car as of yet but , its all the same just much shinier

ok,

here are some install pic's

this shows where the turbo ends up on drivers side front of motor:

heres a pic of the pipes routing on drivers side under car:

heres the pipes tiing into the rear of the car:

the alt has to be relocated..i bought the bracket from smokin hawk here on ls1tech (he makes em):

here's some shots of my car in progress,but drivable:

The car shown on the ground w/intercooler is mine.
the under car shots of the installed kit isn't my car , just picks i got for reference
so here's some pointers ,

make sure to exhaust wrap *at least* all the pipes on the drivers side under the hedder so it don't cook you motor mount or any wires

you start with the passenger side hedder first and build from there

make sure to assemble all the hot side piping including mounting the turbo and leave all of the v-clamps loose so you can tweek it all

make sure steering shaft turns without rubbing or striking piping then tighten it all down

the only problems you will run into is: on my kit and sombody elses i read.. the drivers hedder doesnt line up with the very front exhaust manifold bolt hole on the motor and you will have to drimmel the first and last hole on the hedder out more
be sure to check your kit for this
big deal i guess

changing the plugs on the drivers side is now more difficult than the pass. side but not impossible. "i did it"
the pass. side is now a cake walk...unless you just want the practice go ahead and put your colder plugs (autolite 103's or ngk t6's) gapped at .035-.040 in before you start to put in the first hedder

take your time and have fun!..i will put more pic's of my car here as i get closer to completion
-Mike-
Old 02-22-2008 | 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

good deal man.. i have all those rough PTK pics saved on my PC.. any troubles with the install yet? all available info would be great
Old 02-22-2008 | 04:21 PM
TECH Addict
20 Year Member

Great pictures and thank you for all the information!!!

Does anyone have a list of all exact parts that need to be ordered to finish the kit since it doesn't come complete? I know presto_z has some pictures posted of what he ordered but I mean more of the exact sizes and such so someone could go online and just buying everything the same time they buy the kit.
Old 02-22-2008 | 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
Great pictures and thank you for all the information!!!

Does anyone have a list of all exact parts that need to be ordered to finish the kit since it doesn't come complete? I know presto_z has some pictures posted of what he ordered but I mean more of the exact sizes and such so someone could go online and just buying everything the same time they buy the kit.
i think i can come up with an inventory of needed x-tra's
Old 02-22-2008 | 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
i think i can come up with an inventory of needed x-tra's

That would be awesome
Old 02-27-2008 | 05:48 PM
Launching!

update?
Old 02-27-2008 | 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CBIII
update?
i wasnt going to update until i got a few more goodies, but since you asked
here is my temporary boost gauge (until i can afford an AEM tru-boost controller)

i also found some red 1200* plug wire sleeves for a pretty good price on ebay

its hard to find -20 windshield washer fluid in Florida lol. i ended up going to 5 different stores to find it

i picked up some copper "o2 safe" high temp sealant for the turbo/flange connection

im heading up to orlando to get my hot side coated by FX Exhaust (ceraminexhaust.com) in the next week or so, i talked to chris (whistler) and we are deciding on a saturday for me to come up

i also ordered a turbo blanket from forcedinductions.com (should be here soon )

i was planning on buying a few more things this week, but i had to dish out some money on a new cell phone (my blackberry took a crap)

ohh im also mailing my PCM out to jeremy formatto for a basic tune, just to get it fired up and running on the new injectors and boost.. i want to get all the little gremlins worked out before i trailer it down to ft myers for a dyno tune, and waste my time and his trying to fix stupid little problems (im sure there will be a few) he is crediting me the money for the mail in tune towards my dyno tune
Old 02-28-2008 | 01:24 AM
Launching!

Thats gonna be badass when its done
Old 03-29-2008 | 09:59 AM
Launching!

whats the update?
Old 03-29-2008 | 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

bought alot of suspension stuff from BMR. ill post some pics later
Old 04-14-2008 | 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

well it looks like tragedy will lead to progress..

my transmission took a dump on me Saturday night, so im going to have it rebuilt in tampa. this is going to leave me with a few weeks of down time until i can trailer it up there. so im going to use that time to start the turbo install.

it sucks that i have to start the build like this, but at least it will be underway very very soon
Old 04-14-2008 | 03:26 PM
Launching!

good luck, were all hoping to hear good results soon and sorry about the tranny, same thing happened to me but I expected it and had the parts to have it rebuilt. Its now been in my shed 2 weeks due to not being able to install it.
Old 04-14-2008 | 03:30 PM
On The Tree

same thing happened to me bro, my trans went while building my turbo project and it was already a built trans, now i got a new one in there and she runs strong with the new turbo setup. take your time and good things happen !!
Old 04-14-2008 | 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had mine rebuilt the last week of February of 07'.. the warranty just ran out
Old 04-14-2008 | 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by presto_z
i had mine rebuilt the last week of February of 07'.. the warranty just ran out
that sucks man yeah when mine went the warrenty was still in affect for another week, but the shop that built it shut down because they were doing craptastic trans jobs. what are you using for fans? i'm looking up same sizes the ptk kit comes with cuz i sitll have to pick some fans up.
Old 04-14-2008 | 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

good luck on the build dude, cant wait to see it all put together and see the finished product

Quick Reply: project turbo_z