Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

project turbo_z

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default project turbo_z

here is my new single turbo kit i just got

i ordered it last tuesday, july 3rd at 10:00pm (shipped the 5th due to the holiday) and came in today..

i am really loving how nice this kit is.. all the hot parts are TIG welded 304 stainless, with the internal passages ground and sandpaper rolled, the intercooler is well built and looks gorgeous, the t61 t4 turbo and 38mm wastegate seem to be well built, both will be fully inspected by a professional before i install them

i do need the piping to the intercooler, all the silicone couplers and v-band clamps and some misc pieces and fuel system upgrades, but i am very happy with what i received.. here are some pics for you to look at, and if you want any pics in particular i will be more then happy to take them for you..

here is an overall shot

the intercooler

drivers side header

passengers side header

the welds look great

here are a few more pics..i still have to sit down and figure out what pipe goes where lol

the turbo

here is the 38mm wastegate

and please share your opinions and tell me what you think..

also dont ask me where i got this kit from in a post, send me a PM and i will be more then happy to tell you
Old 07-10-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know where ya got it from, good luck with the install, prove the naysayers wrong maybe. The parts surely look nice.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brad8266
I know where ya got it from, good luck with the install, prove the naysayers wrong maybe. The parts surely look nice.

well i dont think a single one of the naysayers have seen this kit in person.. if they have seen it and still bash it they are doing so because they dont want to loose their customers.. im not gonna say anymore, i dont want to bring sponsors kits into this discussion..
Old 07-10-2007, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

It looks pretty sweet, the welds get an A++. I just want to see what kinda ground clearance.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

well man i saw your other post i had some spair cash and pulled the trigger!! i will be joining you on this install. i just did my 91 dodge steath with simalar parts and it came out great. In my eye just the hot side pipes are worth what i paid let alone a turbo, waste gate and intercooler. i have spary on the camaro already so im gonna see how much boost and spray this 100k bottom end will take !!! GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND. i will post some pics when my kit arrives. -Joe
Old 07-10-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by n2oJOE
well man i saw your other post i had some spair cash and pulled the trigger!! i will be joining you on this install. i just did my 91 dodge steath with simalar parts and it came out great. In my eye just the hot side pipes are worth what i paid let alone a turbo, waste gate and intercooler. i have spary on the camaro already so im gonna see how much boost and spray this 100k bottom end will take !!! GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND. i will post some pics when my kit arrives. -Joe

did you just win it a few minutes ago?? if so you got it for 50 bucks cheaper you *******

you will be amayzed at the quality of the stuff..

EDIT: judging by the winners name and your TT stealth, yes it was you.. or a huge coincidence
Old 07-10-2007, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

yup that was me i wanna see how good this kit is. i think it will make good power. i was also thinking of changing the flange from t4 to a t6 type but that might be after that "crappy" turbo blows lol. i also am gonna send it out and have it rebalanced b4 i install it
Old 07-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Banned

Coming from a Sponsor, I have seen the kit personally. Do yourself a favor and get rid of the turbo. Buy yourself a quality T4 Turbo and you will be fine for the long haul. Its a quialty setup and a resonably priced setup for the hot parts alone. The turbo is the only thing I didnt trust about the whole deal. Happy boosting and be sure to take plenty of pics of the install.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Josh @ KYTP
Coming from a Sponsor, I have seen the kit personally. Do yourself a favor and get rid of the turbo. Buy yourself a quality T4 Turbo and you will be fine for the long haul. Its a quialty setup and a resonably priced setup for the hot parts alone. The turbo is the only thing I didnt trust about the whole deal. Happy boosting and be sure to take plenty of pics of the install.
thanks for your honesty... ill have this particular turbo checked out, im not by any means a turbo wiz and if it needs to be replaced then so be it..

i mainly purchased this kit for the hot parts, everything else was just a bonus lol
Old 07-11-2007, 10:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have many of those chinese turbos here now holding down papers and using them for scrap. They make great boat anchors as well. Once you turbo guy pulls it apart if he is any good he will know what needs to be fixed before you even start running it. Also the standard thread turbine shaft is disaster waiting to happen. Part of the reason all the top manufactures stopped using them over 20 years ago.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good luck. Another problem with the knock off kits in the import crowds is the use of different materials for the tubing and the flanges.
I wouldn't even waste money getting it checked out for the turbo. The bearing material is garbage, tolerances will be way off, etc. Sell it on ebay and use the funds for a "good" turbo. Then as long as you support the weight of the turbo in a way besides the hot parts, you should be ok.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

turbo will most likely be used as garage art, i just need to find a turbo that ill bolt in inplace of this one...

im not gonna sell it on ebay, i dont want to be "some *******" who sold somebody garbage...

as for the hot parts, they are really nice and i bought the kit for them and the other parts were just a bonus...

hopefully ill make it up to orlando next weekend to have them coated by whistler.. i better give him a call and make arrangements, or maybe he will chime in
Old 07-11-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks good!

.. now get it on your car!
Old 07-11-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by John02Hawk
Looks good!

.. now get it on your car!
install will start in a few weeks.. i still need to buy a bunch of **** and arrange a tune.. hopefully it will be installed over one weekend and hopefully a tune the weekend after that

question? if i dont hook up the piping to the intercooler (just let the tubo blow into thin air basically) will i be able to drive it for a few days to work until i get the tune.. i dont want to arrange a tune and have to rush on the install or take off of work to do this..
Old 07-11-2007, 04:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A TC series unit would more then likely bolt in its place.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:24 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks interesting. I'm going to have to check this out.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
A TC series unit would more then likely bolt in its place.

more info would be great.. i dont know how to go about getting a turbo that will fit, what do i need to measure inorder to find a fit..
Old 07-11-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

goodluck bro, cant wait to see the outcome
Old 07-11-2007, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Default Sx?

Dr turbo, do you think a sx unit will bolt in its place? and mabey just make a 3.5 in DP for it?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am sure just about anything will bolt in its place unless there are compressor housing sizing limitations. I looks the be an "E" cover. Anytihig with a t 4 flange and E cover will fit. You might have room for an S cover in there which would be nice if you wanted to make a bunch of power. At any rate. A precision sc63 would probably be a nice choice and fit right in.
It should have a 3" v-band exit as well.

Quick Reply: project turbo_z