Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

project turbo_z

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is not way in hell you dont have to relocate the turbo cause all the pipes and the downpipe go right where the thing sits so if you didnt get a alt relocation bracket plan on that as well. I have the PTS alt relocation bracket and the Boss alt that came with the kit up for sale i didnt need them as I had another kit to use and it was already on the car. The alt is a Boss 130 amp never used and the bracket is all bright silver looks nice. You'll also need a 78.5 in long belt for this as well stock belt does not fit anymore.

Now on to the coating as you can see my whole kit is coated and while it helps a little it really is not going to save you from having to wrap the whole thing. Sorry sad but true and dont skimp on the wrap get good wrap and stainless clamps to hold it on an if you can use their wrap coating too helps keep the moisture out.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Regular

Looks sweet!
Old 07-12-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Whistler
Steve- Give me a call when you want to drop by. I'll also see what pricing I can do for you in regards to a turbo upgrade if you want to go that route.

hey thanks man.. ill hopefully be able to make it next weekend but we will have to see (depends on how much i spend on other parts this week lol) you took good care of chris and have always been helpful to other members so you will be coating my parts.. i havnt even thought of going someplace else

and thanks for all the help guys, i need all the help i can get on this one
Old 07-12-2007, 09:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Frost I know you have a real version of this kit. What's the options for running the down pipe? What are the size limitations? I just looked this up and the price is pretty crazy. I just want to be able to fit a large turbo on there to support my 408. I'm worried about DP clearance along with maintaining AC.
This really isn't the kit to have for a 408, but with a 76GTS it will make damn good power with a stock inch engine. You need a bigger DP with less of a bend at the exit of the turbo for a big-inch engine.

Originally Posted by presto_z
thanks for all the info and pics.. do you think coating the headers will save me from having to wrap them??

also how much do you want for that turbo?? send me a PM
WRAP IT ALL UP and I'm not kidding about the solid mount.

Originally Posted by presto_z
also i supposibly dont have to relocate the alternator, but judging from the pics it seems like i will have to..

does it look like there is anyway my kit may be slightly modded where it would fit, or does is it way to tight?

Smokinhawk makes a relocation bracket for the stock alt that works well; send him a PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frost
Smokinhawk makes a relocation bracket for the stock alt that works well; send him a PM.
he already contacted me.. ill prolly buy it this weekend
Old 07-13-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

this kit looks good. i dont really need the turbo or intercooler, but i need the hot and cold parts
Old 07-13-2007, 04:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

this kit includes no intercooler piping just to let ya know
Old 07-13-2007, 07:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the intercooling piping you probably can just buy a bunch of aluminum 3" piping off of eBay and weld it up (if you have access to a welder) thats what i did for my kit, if you don't have a tig you could get a bunch of silicone connectors to connect the pipe as some have done that.

good luck with it.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

i might bring it to the exhaust shop, but ill prolly just order pipe and couplers along with some 45*s and 90*s.. people with the pts kit, where does the BOV go, i heard it needs to tie back in before the MAF.. pics would be great.. also im looking for a BOV so any recommendations?

smokinhawk what size belt do i need for ur bracket, also do i loose anything or have to change other stuff around?
ill order it tonight if i dont loose anything or need more stuff to make yours work (besides a belt if needbe)

EDIT: im looking at piping now, how thick should the piping be 6061 aluminum? 2mm thick??, i really dont know what to look for..

Last edited by presto_z; 07-13-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

also how big of injectors do i need.. would 42# be enough or should i go 60#.. i couldnt figure out that calculator...
Old 07-13-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow i am full of questions today.. im trying to get a running list of exactly what i will need..

how do i measure v-band clamps.. from outside to outside right??

some are 3"

while others are 3 1/4"

i cant seem to find any 3 1/4" on ebay, all the 3" butt up with other 3" and the 3 1/4" butt up with other 3 1/4" so they arnt mismatched

so let me know if you could.

ohh and the one on the turbo is 3 5/8.. are these things like hose clamps where you get close (within a 1/4") and can tighten down or do they need to be exact..
Old 07-13-2007, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

you'll have fun with those haha I had to go shoping for the proper sized vband clamps to make sure they were all tight but be prepared to hear exhaust leaks until you get it right lol
Old 07-13-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

so they have to be the exact size right??.. i need 3" for the ones that measure 3" and 3 1/4 for the ones that measure 3 1/4 correct??

are they measured with the pipe size

or outside of the flange size???

Last edited by presto_z; 07-13-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:52 PM
11 Second Club

I had a guy that had a huge batch of these things and so i just went through and found the ones i needed dont knwo what sizes they are. lol sorry
Old 07-13-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A 3in Vband should work for both sizes.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by frcefed98
A 3in Vband should work for both sizes.

ill call up PTK tomorrow and see what they say.. they sell 2 1/4", 2 1/2", and 3" for around 25 each.. im assuming these are the ones for their kits, and i have a clone kit of theirs so ill just check with them...

i think i found the intercooler piping, t-bolt clamps and silicon couplers im going to purchase...

i still need to find injectors and a fuel pump (im gonna go with an in tank fp, but im still not sure on how big of injectors i shud get)

i also need a BOV (are the ebay ones good enogh to run) they seem like a simple design..

im not takin a chance on the turbo or wastegate, so that should be all ill have to purchase after this weekend... ohh and i need some gaskets, but thats no biggie
Old 07-13-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't call up PTSLOW to save my life, too many guys have ordered from there only to have to wait forever for their stuff to be delivered.

Verocious Motorsports carries a large selection a V bands and ships fast, google it.

J
Old 07-13-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

what kind of WG do they give you? Curious to see if it is ssautochrome or XSpower.

Thats a pretty good looking kit. If you want to run it without a tune like you said earlier, you just need to remove the WG spring and run the car as normal. It wont make any boost. Do not run it with open pipes. You don't want unfiltered air or objects getting into the TB or inlet of the turbo. I have a T60 that would spool up real fast for sale if your interested. Its got a 3.5" vband though. 60-1 wheel, P-trim, .70 comp. PM if your interested or click the link in my signature.

Goodluck on the install and post some pics!
Old 07-14-2007, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
what kind of WG do they give you? Curious to see if it is ssautochrome or XSpower.

Thats a pretty good looking kit. If you want to run it without a tune like you said earlier, you just need to remove the WG spring and run the car as normal. It wont make any boost. Do not run it with open pipes. You don't want unfiltered air or objects getting into the TB or inlet of the turbo. I have a T60 that would spool up real fast for sale if your interested. Its got a 3.5" vband though. 60-1 wheel, P-trim, .70 comp. PM if your interested or click the link in my signature.

Goodluck on the install and post some pics!
there is no name on it, but it is a 38mm and it has a 6-7lb spring

ohh and i was gonna call up pts just to see how vclamps are measured (still havnt gotten a strait answer and ive searched a few sites) i think i can get them a little cheaper.. 200 bucks in vband clamps seems a little high to me.. im sure i can do better soomeplace else (ill google Verocious Motorsports thanks)
Old 07-14-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

42lb injectors will be good for about no more then 600rwhp, 60's will be good for around 800rwhp so how ever much you'll think you need.
for the belt for the alt bracket its usually around a 73.5" belt (don't know for sure until its done, but going out here in a sec to make one or two up). nothing else really changes when relocating the alternator, you just have to reroute a couple of wires, and extend the small gauge wire, i think.

for the BOV it needs to be before the maf, unless you route it so it blows off after the maf, then recirculates after the maf, its alot easier to just put it before the maf and dump it out in the atmosphere.

Quick Reply: project turbo_z