Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Just fired up my 3.3L Whipple on my C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 06:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ace work RJW. really pleased for you that its coming together!

hows the built engine coming along???

Chris.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO the filter is going to be a limiting factor. Hell JLT makes badass intakes and us cobra owners we use HUGE filters for anything over 550 rwhp. Here is a some pics of a 3.3 I installed on a Ford GT. This monster needs air!

Last edited by JMBLOWNWS6; 08-17-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:36 AM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Location: Tinker till it blows, then back it off a notch, maybe!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuntington101
ace work RJW. really pleased for you that its coming together!

hows the built engine coming along???

Chris.
Thanks for the props guys.

Actually, I am waiting to see how the 'Stage 1' setup works out, before I assemble the engine, in that I may change compression ratios depending on how much boost will be needed to get to my goals with the higher boost setup.

The air filter is a restriction...I saw 2 inches of vacuum behind it. Nonetheless, I should be able to reach into the 600's with it, then determine a better tb/filter combo for this and higher levels. My current short term goal is to get some numbers to work off of, while testing the whole setup to make sure that egt's etc. are under control and so far so good.

The Ls2 90mm tb that I am using is not ideal for the current location/orientation. That acufab oval would be perfect, except that converting it to FBW makes it not so cost effective, when I can make one for less that would fit and be FBW compatible.

Back to the current problem, according to the dyno manufacturer, it seems like I could help the EMI dyno problem by switching to Magnacore wires on my end and help them reduce the interference at their end.

Working on it...

Last edited by rjw; 08-17-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Progress looks great, cant wait for final numbers and track times!
Keep us posted, sent you a PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:32 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Default Initial Numbers

Ok, i got things sorted and I have some INITIAL numbers on my current setup.

Details: (for those not following my project)

2003 Z06 Ls6 stock bottom end, afr 205's (out of the box), LG G5X1 cam, Kooks 1 3/4 and Borla 2 tip stingers. WITh CATS and all smog equipment hooked up and functioning.

These are 3 runs that I managed to get in late this afternoon. You can see how I am moving extremely slowly and monitoring a lot of things as I go, so NO BIG numbers just yet.

Setup was:

4 to 6 PSI sc pulley (shows 6.5 psi on dyno and 7.5 on road)
12 degrees total timing
97F ambient (Probably well over 100F in shop no ac, 2 floor fans blowing at car)

AFR's on MY wideband were in the LOW to MID 9's. The dyno sheets show a point leaner, which is normal when checking before and after cats.

Please remember, these are INITIAL results and you can see how things are moving as I lean it out a bit at a time.

Also, this is on a Dynomite dyno, not a dynojet

Final pull was around 545 rwhp/532 rwt, SAE corrected

Sorry that we didn't move the cursors to the peak hp and torque numbers, we were in a hurry to go home.

I will be going back either tomorrow or Tuesday looking for some MORE serious numbers.

RJW
Old 08-17-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Very nice!! Love the torque curve!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats what I was thinking too, just what I need for my over weight convertible.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:45 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SScott
Thats what I was thinking too, just what I need for my over weight convertible.
It's like strapping a 3 liter V6 on top of your LSx...

When I get the afr's close and straighten out the torque curve a little, we should see some respectable numbers.

Looks like tomorrow will be a family day, so on Tuesday, i should get to see just how far I can push my stock bottom end, current clutch and fuel system. I also have the DP meth hooked up and waiting for a single ping...

I have been promising some video, so maybe this weekend, a little tease.

This is the quietest blower I've ever heard or NOT heard. You'll see/hear when I put up some video

rjw
Old 08-18-2007, 10:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 431 Likes on 338 Posts

good #'s for only 6lbs. Now get going on the f-body one. One of those would be great strapped to the top of my crate ls6.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
good #'s for only 6lbs. Now get going on the f-body one. One of those would be great strapped to the top of my crate ls6.

I am so looking forward to being the first kid on my block with one.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by rjw
Some more pictures of the pretty much finished 'Stage 1' setup

From inside the car...gaugs check for air filter restriction and vac pump operation

To the dyno tomorrow for some load testing and initial numbers

se ya lata...
If I buy your kit, how much extra will a new hood painted to match my existing color cost to have installed???
How much will your kit cost out the door with the hood included?

Also, what do you do about all the heat that blower throws off sitting right on top of the manifold?? It seems like I will have really high heat probs there?
Thanks.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:12 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

First off, I am selling nothing at the moment, and if I were, I would become a forum sponsor before discussing anything to do with $$$$ on this forum...

Secondly, it is possible that a 2.3L setup on a custom manifold may fit under some oem hoods, but that is yet to be seen, but coming in the near future. Obviously, the 3.3 as shown on the C5 would be a lot tougher.

Lastly, so far, my IAT's are much lower than when I had a maggie MP112 on the car at any boost.

Until I turn up the wick on this setup, I can't answer much more than that..so

If you like what you see so far, then ...stay tuned

rjw
Old 08-18-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

He hasn't even started fitting the blower on a F-body yet, nor has he made a commitment to make a kit... let alone a hood!

Give the guy some time, he'll let us know when he makes progress. By the way, "us" doesn't include me, I'm just following this thread for the drool factor. I have a LT4 not a LS1, so the kit will not fit my car. Though I have 10 grand that says he might make one for me.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Houdini
He hasn't even started fitting the blower on a F-body yet, nor has he made a commitment to make a kit... let alone a hood!

Give the guy some time, he'll let us know when he makes progress. By the way, "us" doesn't include me, I'm just following this thread for the drool factor. I have a LT4 not a LS1, so the kit will not fit my car. Though I have 10 grand that says he might make one for me.
Who said I was asking about an F-body????. I have other cars not listed in my sig...like the one that would fit right into what he is building.
I am int. in this kit, but there is a kit that is local that will work as well, and is ready right now. I want to make the right choice here for my ZO6, not my LT1 Camaro you idiot!
Old 08-18-2007, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=rjw]First off, I am selling nothing at the moment, and if I were, I would become a forum sponsor before discussing anything to do with $$$$ on this forum...

Secondly, it is possible that a 2.3L setup on a custom manifold may fit under some oem hoods, but that is yet to be seen, but coming in the near future. Obviously, the 3.3 as shown on the C5 would be a lot tougher.

Lastly, so far, my IAT's are much lower than when I had a maggie MP112 on the car at any boost.

I am int. in this. I want the 3.3 though, 2.3 will not satisfy me for sure. I am worried about cost of the kit plus hood swap. I also spin my motor to 7k, so a 6-rib setup prob wont hold on. What about the heat right above the manifold-gas boiling, melting hoses, lines etc.???? The kit that is local has the blower in a diff spot, and claims to have addressed the issues I have mentioned??? They say they are going to have their setup in the next issue or 2 of Vette Enthusiaste coming soon-Dragon Race Engineering. I am ready to buy soon, but want info from you if you plan to sell before buying this kit. If not, my decision is already made. THX!
Old 08-19-2007, 12:39 AM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=BawlsZ28]
Originally Posted by rjw
First off, I am selling nothing at the moment, and if I were, I would become a forum sponsor before discussing anything to do with $$$$ on this forum...

I am int. in this. I want the 3.3 though, 2.3 will not satisfy me for sure. I am worried about cost of the kit plus hood swap. I also spin my motor to 7k, so a 6-rib setup prob wont hold on. What about the heat right above the manifold-gas boiling, melting hoses, lines etc.???? The kit that is local has the blower in a diff spot, and claims to have addressed the issues I have mentioned??? They say they are going to have their setup in the next issue or 2 of Vette Enthusiaste coming soon-Dragon Race Engineering. I am ready to buy soon, but want info from you if you plan to sell before buying this kit. If not, my decision is already made. THX!
1) Is your car a C5? If so, then from what Dragon JUST posted on the vette forum, they don't have a C5 kit currently finished, but you are local and may have the inside scoop.

2) What power level are you trying to reach? again from the other forum, Dragon claims that a 4.25" and smaller pulley requires an 8 rib setup. and they also claim that 10 rib belts are not available. (Both in the C6 for sale section). Another statement was that the pipes are 4".

I am not here to go into a he said she said thing, but if I or anyone else gives out written information, then it is subject to scrutiny.

Their setup is obviously different, with the sc sitting above the passenger's side header. They may have gas boiling problems or whatever that needed to be resolved, but I haven't with my setup. Mind you, I haven't turned up the boost too much yet, but I see no problems there.

Here is what I have seen..

1) I have run a 4.25" pulley to 7k regularly with the 6 rib setup and no belt issues. Obviously, if you want max power, the 6 rib will have to be replaced

2) I have spoken to Whipple and 8 and 10 rib belts and pulleys are readily available, so I don't know why anyone claims otherwise.

3) Dragon's inlet tubing may be 4",but not the two going over the rad to the IC. Also, I may be mistaken, but I don't see how tubes could be made any larger, with them already up against the side of the car near the blower outlet

4) I am ALREADY making more power with the same 6 psi pulley than they are and also more boost. bear in mind that I have a HCE 346 and their numbers are on a 402 C6 and probably stock. Also note that I haven't even tuned this car...afr's are in the 9's

5) Labor on my setup is like doing a manifold swap (with help to lift it on) and installing a pair of heat exchangers in the Z06 screens. They claim about 23 hours for theirs on a C6.Seems to me that if the C5 kit install time is even close, that you could buy and paint a hood for the difference in labor time costs.

6) They are local to you, so that is a big plus for them and if they do have a C5 kit ready and your $$$ is burning a hole in your pocket, then go for it.

7) Or wait a bit and see what happens. Throttle response and boost loss through their A/A IC and tubes will (in my opinion) NOT be comparable.

I believe that you may have mentioned earlier that they also had an A/W IC setup. I haven't heard , so I don't know????

My opinion on the Dragon kit is simply this (and rmember, this is only MY opinion)

If you are in love with your OEM hood and will settle for less than optimal performance, then buy it. A better OEm hood choice would be TTix.

I can't claim how much power my setup will make and with which pulleys, belts or otherwise until I get there. But I do know from years of experience in sc setups that placing a blower anywhere near a header is not a good idea , and that throttle response and boost through a FMIC and tubes will be worse than with a sandwiched IC. Also possibly budget for changing rad and fans if you plan on pushing the limits or road racing.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

How soon before you would have your kit for sale?
Old 08-19-2007, 10:21 AM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BawlsZ28
How soon before you would have your kit for sale?
You never answered which car???????

All I can say is that I started this 6 weeks ago and here I am, so far. Not much longer for C5 results (oem bottom end). then the path branches off.

While I assemble and install my forged engine to continue the path to 1000/1000t, better clutch, etc. a 2.3L setup will be looking for a home in an f body or gto or C5/C6...still up in the air.

The wheel that squeeks the loudest will probably get the oil...what more can I say.

Again...what car are we talking about and what are your power goals??????

rjw
Old 08-19-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BawlsZ28
Who said I was asking about an F-body????. I have other cars not listed in my sig...like the one that would fit right into what he is building.
I am int. in this kit, but there is a kit that is local that will work as well, and is ready right now. I want to make the right choice here for my ZO6, not my LT1 Camaro you idiot!
Take a pill and calm down, you'll live longer. I was just trying to help you out a bit, I wasn't implying that you were a dullard.

And I'll try to help you again... If you have a question about something, try to post as much details as possible concerning your question, most people cannot read minds (or see into your garage).
Old 08-19-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rjw
You never answered which car???????

All I can say is that I started this 6 weeks ago and here I am, so far. Not much longer for C5 results (oem bottom end). then the path branches off.

While I assemble and install my forged engine to continue the path to 1000/1000t, better clutch, etc. a 2.3L setup will be looking for a home in an f body or gto or C5/C6...still up in the air.

The wheel that squeeks the loudest will probably get the oil...what more can I say.

Again...what car are we talking about and what are your power goals??????

rjw
In my opinion it would be smarter to try and corner a segment of the market with a kit like this. Vette guys have the Dragon kit which you will compete with directly. GTO guys have a new Autorotor based kit soon to be released. F-bods have ummm nothing. I would try cornering a segment and branch out from there to compete with other companies. Just my opinion and most people I know think it means absolutely nothing.

Quick Reply: Just fired up my 3.3L Whipple on my C5 Z06