Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbocharged c5

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbocharged c5

i just had my motor completely rebuilt because i was in basic and i blew the motor before i left however while they wer working on it they mainly ordered all stock replacement parts from comp cams or something like that because that is wer they bought my new am at i do have upgraded lifters and valve springs what do i have to do to turbocharge my motor with like 6 to 10 psi 1 turbo not two and how many horses will that give me? what turbo do i need also?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

my bad that was supose to say thats wer they bought my new cam not am lol my bad but literally every damn thi8ng in my motor was replaced including pistons and rods so does anybody have any advice
Old 08-07-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

Im not trying to be an *** but you might want to practice your sentence structure, punctuation, and grammar. I could harldy uderstand a damn thing you typed...

Back to the topic.

If you want a single turbo, you will need a custom setup. As far as I know all the kits out there are twins only. Also, If you replaced your internals with stock parts besides the cam, that will not increase reliability and or strength. You can run a turbo setup (depending on the tune, octane, and fuel system) to roughly 550-600 rwhp on the stock bottom end. Please realize this all depends on the variable stated above.

If you have forged your internals and have a fuel system available, then there are a few kits to choose from. APS, HP, PTS, Lingenfelter, etc.

If you are on a budget a turbo setup is not for you. If youre ready to spend some money and want a well engineered, complete kit opt for the APS.

www.airpowersystems.com
Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

As of right now i am on a budget. I am sorry that my sentance structure sucks i just get in a hurry and i type like i text. Thank you for the advice its not what i wanted to here but def helpfull. o and for the record the reason it had all stock parts put back in was because i was out of contact and they didnt know how much i wanted to spend.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nassaublue
As of right now i am on a budget. I am sorry that my sentance structure sucks i just get in a hurry and i type like i text. Thank you for the advice its not what i wanted to here but def helpfull. o and for the record the reason it had all stock parts put back in was because i was out of contact and they didnt know how much i wanted to spend.

20kpluss if you want a good front mount.....also you better forge it or its not going to last vary long.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you only get 30 seconds to write that? Not to be a dick, but people hate when they have to form their own sentences out of a paragraph. The english language uses periods to show where the sentence stops and comma's to show pauses in the sentence.

Anyway, those are VERY general questions to ask. I'll do my best to reconstruct your questions in complete sentences and answer them.

I just had my motor completely rebuilt. I blew the motor before I left for basic and while I was gone, they mainly ordered all stock replacement parts from comp cams or some place like that because that is where they bought my new am at. I do have upgraded lifters and valve springs. What else do I have to do to turbocharge my motor for 6 to 10psi? I only want a single turbo kit, not twins. How much horsepower will that give me? Also, what turbo do I need?
First, what is an "am"? Is it a cam? What was wrong with the motor exactly? What "blew"? The shop probably reused your stock pistons, rods and crank and upgraded your valvetrain and camshaft with products from Comp Cams. That is a start as long as you didn't go with an all-motor cam.

I'm assumming you just told the shop to rebuild the motor like stock. I don't think any respectable shop would rebuild a motor unless they knew if the owner wanted it stock or built. And if the owner did want it built, the shop would need to know what it was being built for, i.e. turbo, supercharger, nitrous, all-motor.

You sound like you have no idea what goes into a motor to make it reliable or how forced induction works. I suggest you do a lot of reading on LS1tech. I would read all of the basic stickies first. Stickies are the permanent threads in the top of every forum. They will answer a lot of your questions. The first sticky you need to read is in this forum, "The true cost of forced induction." That will open your eyes into the money pit that Forced Induction is. You will need about $6 to $8k to get your car started with a basic turbo kit and the MOST BASIC of supporting mods. I would say the average person spends at least $10k, the amatuer spends about $12 to $20k, and the serious ones spend $25-100k.

People would argue that you could build a turbo car for $5000 but that is only if you find great deals on used stuff and do all of your own work and that isn't going to happen for you because you have no idea what you need or what to look for. You need to do a lot of reading first and foremost. Then decide on what you want to do as far as goals for the car. Then you can educate yourself on the differences between brands and decide whats right for your goals. You would need to do this even if you just bought a turbo car outright from a classified. Owning a forced induction car is just as hard as building one. I hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your heart is set on a single turbo you'll either need to have something custom made or go with a rear mount setup.

There are a few good front mount twin setups. Figure $12-15K by the time all is said and done.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To get you started:
You can keep the stock motor if you only want 500rwhp. If you don't care if it blows up in a year or two, go ahead and push it to 550-600, but it won't last. Here is a list of the BASIC things you'll need from good used parts to new part prices.

Basic Forged Motor: $2500-5000.
Basic Heads: $500 to $1000
Fuel injectors, single in-tank pump: $450-600
Tune: MAF- $500. Speed Density- $750.
Basic Built Tranny: $1500-$2500. Very hard to say depending on what you want.
Basic gauges/gaugepod (wideband, Boost): $300-500.
You'll want fuel pressure too: $150-$200.
Possible K-member: $350-550.
Turbo kit: $3000-6000.

Just for basic stuff at used prices you're looking at $9,250.
For basic stuff at new prices, you're looking at: $17,100.

I consider my mods pretty basic and I'm at $25,000 with stock cubes, stock rear, stock torque arm, stock driveshaft, stock fuel lines, stock shocks and springs, only an LS6 intake and stock ported TB, stock brakes, etc.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hinson Super Cars offers a nice single T76 kit!
(not on the site yet)
Tell him Dominic told you about it
Old 08-09-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea im saving for ls1speeds kit with teh gt35r turbos and a strange dana rear end with thre 370 sprtsman not sure on transsmission yet, dont knwo how far the trannny will ahve to be built
Old 08-10-2007, 06:33 AM
On The Tree

Default Just rebuilding a TT

Here are 2 items to give an idea of prices.
New custom JE pistons and rings $1645. The car is already a 388 so post clean-up work on cylinders make them an odd size.
Rebuild for my turbos $1800.
There is almost $3500 for only 2 items. By the time I am done I will be into $15,000 or more for a rebuild.
Jeffy'

2001 ZO6 with 6.3L LPE Stage 4 Twin Turbo kit, 659 rwhp and 716 ft/lbs torque at full boost