Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

sts turbo kit, good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smoke20
great advice --- oh by the way the kit for APS in not complete either sorry you have to buy fuel pump, injectors, etc... etc.... better add about 2000.00 and save for the forged motor when you pop the stocker.

so dont paint an incomplete picture. the STS kit is a good kit just have to know how to optimize it. the APS kit is very good also but they each have short comings, and strengths.. it seems every time an STS thread is started you chime in with negative comments, broaden you mind and take a look at what the kit offers.. its not for everyone but that doesnt justify all the negative comments you are always making..

David

i never bashed the kit in this thread... i listed its pro's and cons.. i am WELL astute to the STS kit..

so show me where i was negative? I said its fine for people who want a simple bolt on type turbo system.. but if you want more power.. go with something else.. and that its not a complete kit for $3995 which most people think it is, .. I used to sell STS and i am completely familiar with its pro's and con's and what they are capable of.. so i really dont need the lecture.. if i wanted to bash it.. i would .. but i didnt..
Old 08-16-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
I have seen longrange4u STS system put out over 500 rwhp all day. That car runs good.
he's not the only 1

and with a stock clutch and leaking boost
Old 08-18-2007, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smoke20
yeah its so damn hard to cut a cable to release a hood and steal a turbo ???
isn't it still much harder to pop the hood and unbolt and/or cut all the pipping, brackets, etc. to steal a turbo in a cramped already LS1 motor compartment vs. using a battery powered sawzall to cut off a rear mounted turbo at the pipes?
Old 08-18-2007, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
here's what i have to say:
plus my car is lowered pretty damn low, which brings me to my next topic: stealing the turbo. when you have about a foot of space between the ground and the bumper, thats not a lot of room to work with, let alone trying to turn a wrench in that space. plus you have to:

-unbolt the turbo from the exhaust inlet and outlet
-remove charge pipe connection, and air filter connection
-disassemble the oil feed, return

i have a boost controller, so that would also need to be disconnected. all done in that little foot of space under the back of the car
scissor jack + battery powered sawzall. thief wouldn't care about keeping your setup nice and neat. just cut, cut, cut and rip, rip, rip. that's why when i'm selling a car, i meet people in a parking lot somewhere. don't want random people knowing where my modified cars are parked. they go after guages, air intakes, etc...all of this can be sold on Ebay pretty easily.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Stealing a turbo! Thats one of the reasons i pay for this thing called insurance, hell some of you may have it too. Plus if it happens to me, sounds like a pretty damn good reason to upgrade.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trtturbo
Dan, not sure what you think we buy them for, but I'll tell you there isnt alot of money in selling the kits. Thats why out of the 12 cars I have in the shop, only one is getting an STS kit. And that is an H2 along with a 408, 4L80, etc..
My stage 1 pkg I sell makes me about $200. To compete with others, thats how I have to sell it.
You guys offer a ton of other stuff with the base kit as well to make it more marketable. Some people sell the base kit and NOTHING else for the same price you offer it for...but with y'all, you get a lot more stuff for your $$. If anything, y'all are the fairest prices I've seen around.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Stealing a turbo! Thats one of the reasons i pay for this thing called insurance, hell some of you may have it too. Plus if it happens to me, sounds like a pretty damn good reason to upgrade.
what insurance company do you have that covers aftermarket parts other than extra sound system coverage? i know that most of the bigger ones like Allstate, State Farm, etc... do not cover aftermarket high performance parts even if you offer to pay them extra.

Quick Reply: sts turbo kit, good or bad?