Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

after catchcan runs like sh@$%

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after catchcan runs like sh@$%

do I need to do some tuning after converting to catchcan or do I need to change something I did ?? I used a T fitting to connect both valve cover breather lines and ran it to the catchcan with a filter breather on it, and simply capped off the Tbody and manifold. now it will not idle and runs crappy, and I am even getting backfire through the Tbody when I give it gas. could it simply be that I didnt have the MAF hooked up? or is it the tune or the way I set it up? I ordered a second catchcan to run one on each side so more volume can exit the crank easier but it hasnt got here yet. or should I be looking at something else? thanks for the help.

~Guy
Old 08-15-2007, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssdriver27
do I need to do some tuning after converting to catchcan or do I need to change something I did ?? I used a T fitting to connect both valve cover breather lines and ran it to the catchcan with a filter breather on it, and simply capped off the Tbody and manifold. now it will not idle and runs crappy, and I am even getting backfire through the Tbody when I give it gas. could it simply be that I didnt have the MAF hooked up? or is it the tune or the way I set it up? I ordered a second catchcan to run one on each side so more volume can exit the crank easier but it hasnt got here yet. or should I be looking at something else? thanks for the help.

~Guy
Is the car MAF tuned or Speed Densiy? If it's MAF tuned, it will run like a$$ and give a SES light when disconnected.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm maybe there is a leak after the maf by way of the catchcan setup you just did.
more info on how you capped off the Tbody and manifold.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:14 PM
10 Second Club

yes more info please...

FWIW, when i removed my PCV valve from the intake manifold port, the car wouldn't start or idle. When i put it back on, the car ran fine.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

yea I am not running a pcv setup at all now. I was running a pcv switch valve setup on both lines from the valve covers, but now that I am running 10- 12 PSI that system was failing (I was getting a bunch of oil in the intake pipes, manifold etc.) so I switched to the catchcan setup. should I go back to PCV on the intake manifold line and only use the catchcan on the Tbody line? with 12PSI ? also I plan to turn it up to about 15PSI eventually. will a PCV valve hold up to that ?? or shoudl I just go with the dual catchcan setup I am planning on. it is MAF tuned which seems to be working fine for me at this point. the MAF ends are ported to the max possible port and I changed the MAF table now I am fine tunning from there. the only problem I was having was with oil in the intake which I am hoping this catchcan setup will fix. thanks again ~Guy
Old 08-15-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

oh btw I simply capped the intake and tbody with a rubber cap and hose clamp.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it idleing high?? I would maybe check the caps on the tb... Make sure there's not a hole or air isn't getting by....
Old 08-16-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Regular

ok I got everything put back together and connected the MAF all good now. thanks ~Guy
Old 08-16-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what was it???
Old 08-16-2007, 07:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you route the lines from the valve covers to the catch can, then to the pvc intake port?

or before you do that, try uncapping the parts that you capped and see what happens.