Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

P.E tables not working, why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P.E tables not working, why?

I have my LTFT set to within 2% and the car idles and drives fine. The P.E tables won't take any fuel out at WOT though. What would cause/prevent this? The MAF is still stock if that makes any difference.
Old 05-25-2003, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: P.E tables not working, why?

The car is a 98' TA. I just installed a procharger D-1sc set to 8 psi. , new 50lbs injectors, and a bigger pump. Otherwise bone stock. We tried disableing the COT but it made no difference. If the LTFT is within 2% and the car idles and drives fine, can I assume the injectors have been calibrated correctley? When we make changes in the P.E tables it doesn't seem to change the car at all. It still drops into the 9's A/F. What would cause this?
Old 05-25-2003, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

O yeah, and the 02 sensors are all new, and no codes are tripped.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

We tried everything from small changes to drastic. We should theoretically be able to shut the injectors off when ever we want right? Because it seems that we can't. " Limp mood " meaning what? Is there anything else that would have an effect on the P.E working, such as the MAF tables or anything? Is it possible that the program itself is bad?
Old 05-25-2003, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

I am going into Ls1 edit, engine conf., fuel, P.E RPM table. Is this correct for tuning WOT? The stock number was around 1.2 or so. We tried going all the way down to around .15 and still too rich. How do I know which fuel cell it's going into? If the PCM is locking up, how will I know and what can I do about it? Since the car idles and drives fine can I at least assume the injectors are calibrated correctley? Thanks for all your help!
Old 05-25-2003, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Location: Richmond, VA Where fast cars, well......are hard to come by.

The pcm doesn't care about o2's at wot, it doesn't use them. No/bad o2's will cause it to stay out of closed loop under part throttle though. You've changed the flowrate table I assume? If that's the case, my guess would be it's in the offset table, but I'm definitely no expert, and there is not much info on it. I had idle trouble w/ my 42s that caused the car stay way rich at idle. Adjusting the offset table fixed my problem. I think it also helped out gas mileage too. 27mpg on a highway trip w/blower.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

As far as I know (the shop that did the install did the initial tuning, and it idles fine) the flow rate has been changed. The stock number is 3.62 flow Gm/sec. at 0 Kpa so it should be changed to 6.95 based on the new 50lbs injectors being 192% bigger than the stock 26lbs. Is this correct? What did you do to your offset table and how did you determine this?
Old 05-26-2003, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the 50 lb injectors on my Incon TT setup. I have the opposite problem with mine. Idle is not to bad I can get 14.7 on my in-car wideband but at WOT no movement at all on the afr. I believe my problem is my regulator is no doing one to one. Anyway I should get that fixed. At idle it does pretty good but if I blip the throttle a in park I and let it off I do get a drop down to 13 to 1 and then the computer catches it. Ok enough rambling on my problems. The 50 lb injectors have a huge injector offset , From a lt1-edit list its about .90 ms to open at 13 volts were as the stock injectors are about ~.5. Anyway the injector scaling spreadsheet on Chris B. webpage ls1edit.slowcar.net has an injector offset table for the new ford lightening injectors. They are very very close to the 50 lb injector offset tables. Anyway looking like whoever did your tune did not change these values and just changed the injector flowrate to a smaller value (than is calculated by injector size) to get the idle right, But since they put in a smaller value at the bottom of the table, the top end will be overly rich. That is because the injector offset does not make that much difference at higher RPM's(because the ratio of opening time to actual time open is a lot smaller). Right now I have a injector offset about have way between stock and what has been quoted for the 50s. I will probably change those back to 50 lb values, since my fuel pressure regulator is not working properly. Very hard to fight to problems at once. Any way the injector offset values on ls1edit.slowcar.net should be close you will stil have to tweak the injector offset and flowrate tables some. I have also found that the 50 lb injectors do not flow much more at our 58 psi rail when compared to the standard 43 psi rail pressure. Basically these injectors are a little bit of work to tune and not very many ls1 people have done it.

Gary
Old 05-27-2003, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

The LTFT goes to 0% at WOT so I assume it is going into WOT mode. The enable temp I believe is set at 142 but the problem occurs whether the motor's hot or cold. I talked to the shop today about the offset and he told me when they set it up that they did a flat percentage change across the board. This was what the tech guy at Ls1edit (carputing) said to do. Is this wrong and we need to adjust each part individually? Thanks again for the help guys!
Old 05-28-2003, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

You only really have to play with the 12.5 through say 14 volt ranges. The rest of the table is for when you have extreme voltages on the car. For the 12.5-14 volts its pretty linear, actually its just the really low voltages that offset goes non linear.

Gary
Old 05-29-2003, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

When I put my 42's in, I used the offset table from georgec that he said worked well for him. I had been using the stock offset until then. New table did good, but at idle the o2's would stay at about 900mV instead of swinging back and forth like they did at part throttle holding 14.7:1 afr. Since I only changed the offset table, I knew that was it and the stock table worked fine at idle w/ these injectors. So I swapped parts of the stock table into the new one until I found the area that handled idle conditions. I didn't pinpoint it down, but it's in the higher voltage area, the right half of the table, at the 70-80kpa section. I'm not exactly sure why it happened, but with the bigger numbers in those cells, it'd stay rich, lowering the numbers leaned it out.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

New table did good, but at idle the o2's would stay at about 900mV instead of swinging back and forth like they did at part throttle holding 14.7:1 afr.
I got a tune from a local (reputable) shop. I have the same condition. Any PT makes the O2 swing normally, but at idle the O2s hover around .850-.900. Go figure. The idle hunts a bit too. The guy called it "lean roll", but at that rich an idle, I don't see how that could be.

SC-
Old 05-29-2003, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

I'm going back to the shop tommorow and will talk to them about the offsets and see what we can do. On another note, if the new injector flow rate was not increased enough to account for the bigger infectors would it be possible for the computer and o2's to adjust enough on there own to allow it to idle and run at part throttle? But when it goes into WOT it becomes too far off so that the P.E tables/mode are unable to compensate? I ask because I think my flow rate was only increased to about 3.8 vs. 3.62 stock. It should be up around 6.5-7 using 50 lbs. injectors right?
Old 05-30-2003, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

Oh yeah, it should be much higher than 3.8 . Wow, I bet your ltrims stay at -25% all the time . Maybe they didn't account for the fp change? I'm pretty sure the 'calculated' value on my 42's was in the low 6's, however I had to bring it down to 5 or 4.9x to get the ltrims to stay just under 0. That would definitely make it wayyyy rich at wot.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've found that with larger injectors, setting the Inj Flow Rate Table where calculations say it should be is too high. I just adjust the Inj Flow Rate table to where I get zero/neg LTFT's.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

So once I get the correct number it goes in the 0 kpa box right? Do I let it multiply through or do I need to put this number in each cell? I'm not running a referenced regulator ar anything. Thanks again for all the help. I just hope the end result is worth these initial headaches, but I'm sure it will be.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

TRy John Skiba's little tool to compute Injector Flow Rate ideal value to get the scaling right.

http://www.blackls1ta.com/tools/johnsinjectorcalc.xls

But, it is my experience you still have to move this line up or down by whatever percentage it takes to get zero/neg LTFT's. Or, you can move the injector size or fuel pressure amount in the spreadsheet to get the amount up or down and still have the correct scaling.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Went back to the shop today and raised the flow table numbers and she's finally alive. Now we just need to fine tune and should be all set. Right now the A/F is still 11-11.5 so there's definatley room for improvement. Thanks again for all the help!!!
Old 06-03-2003, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

Good deal.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TRy John Skiba's little tool to compute Injector Flow Rate ideal value to get the scaling right.

http://www.blackls1ta.com/tools/johnsinjectorcalc.xls

But, it is my experience you still have to move this line up or down by whatever percentage it takes to get zero/neg LTFT's. Or, you can move the injector size or fuel pressure amount in the spreadsheet to get the amount up or down and still have the correct scaling.
Holy Cow that is great info. Thanks a bunch for that , I'll be using this for my turbo set up. Thanks man. Did you ever resolve your tranny shifting problems? I'm not much help in that, my car has been down in a while and I don't know enough of the transmission parameters in LS1Edit to help you.