Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS TT blow off valve

Old 08-22-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default APS TT blow off valve

What bolw off valves is everyone upgrading to and why??
Thanks for your help
HP
Old 08-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Launching!

tial would be a good replacement, i know some people are still running the one that came with the kit
Old 08-23-2007, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

ill be moving to Tial BOVs. no specific reason other than they sound very nice...
Old 08-23-2007, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Hks..
Old 08-23-2007, 04:30 PM
9 Second Club

Ive allready posted the direct replacements for our kits Took a little while to find them but they are worth it

Old 08-23-2007, 08:34 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by High Pressure
What bolw off valves is everyone upgrading to and why??
Thanks for your help
HP
Changing out the BOV's won't produce any additional power though will certainly make more BOV noise if that's what you're after.

Peter
Old 08-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Forge Motorsports BOV atmospheric dump here.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are two part numbers in the turbosmart supersonic. Which is is 20 or 25mm?
Also JM how are you going to block off the existing recirc holes? I also noticed turbosmart makes recirc ones and one that recircs and vents both. Lots of choices.

And wonder how much work to adapt the tials to work? I like the tials as they have no adjustments ,well except for optional springs you insert in them like the gate springs. Wonder if someone makes adapter to mount the tials.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

?????????
Old 08-27-2007, 11:17 AM
9 Second Club

If you look at your bill of materials they are 25mm. I am just going to cap mine off. Plain and simple.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by peter@aps
Changing out the BOV's won't produce any additional power though will certainly make more BOV noise if that's what you're after.

Peter
Actually, changing to a HKS SSQV BOV can yield minor power advantages. They can also lower charge temperatures. Not by much, but it takes 5* to get 25*.

So while it may not justify the cost or fabrication, they are (Rather can be) beneficial.

Edited to specify HKS Super Sequential BOV

Last edited by FieroZ34; 08-27-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
Actually, changing to a HKS BOV can yield minor power advantages. They can also lower charge temperatures. Not by much, but it takes 5* to get 25*.

So while it may not justify the cost or fabrication, they are (Rather can be) beneficial.
Id like you to try and explain how this is possible ??

IMO, The HKS BOV's are crap. Ive thrown a good few of them away due to them leaking under boost. Blitz are equally as bad....
I usually replace with Forge..as they work, and are easily sourced locally ( being UK made )

Its surprising, as generally both brands produce high quality gear. But their BOV's really suck.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Id like you to try and explain how this is possible ??

IMO, The HKS BOV's are crap. Ive thrown a good few of them away due to them leaking under boost. Blitz are equally as bad....
I usually replace with Forge..as they work, and are easily sourced locally ( being UK made )

Its surprising, as generally both brands produce high quality gear. But their BOV's really suck.
I think you are thinking of a different brand, because the design of the HKS SSQV BOV is such that as boost increases, it increases pressure on the valve, effectively making it seal better. That's why they are popular, they are one of the only BOVs that pull the valve open to vent boost. It's much like your engine's valves, as the cylinders rise, pressure rises, the valve seals better.

And this is how they can pick up power, albeit not much, over other BOVs. Most BOVs will leak under mid-high boost pressures, by design, because as boost increases, the valves will start to push open, and you'll bleed boost. So as this happens, your wastegate bypasses less exhaust to hold target boost, thus more exhaust goes to the turbocharger, which in turn gets hotter, which makes the charge hotter, which we all know isn't good. So as I said, it isn't much, but when you're talking about 800+ hp cars, 10 degrees on the charge is enough to worry about. Not to mention it can very easily throw a properly sized turbocharger out of its efficiency peak, meaning even more heat to the charge.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

I know exactly what a HKS SSQ is....as I say, Ive threw plenty away, despite owners paying a fortune for them.

ALL BOV's pull the BOV open when you close the throttle. Thats why you attach a boost/vac line to them...same applies under boost, boost asists to keep them closed.

It would be almost impossible for one to work otherwise !!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
Actually, changing to a HKS SSQV BOV can yield minor power advantages. They can also lower charge temperatures. Not by much, but it takes 5* to get 25*.

<CHOP>

Edited to specify HKS Super Sequential BOV
Yeah! You tell the guy that helped engineer,produce,sell,etc. the turbo kit in question what will or will not work better.
We wouldn't want some guy that has moved hundreds of high quality turbo kits through his doors giving us information when someone that put a turbo on a Fiero could tell us what's really goin' on .

Seriously, I could chime in on 99% of the posts on this board to pick some nit or chime in with some opinion of mine that I present as a fact but I try to keep it to a minimum.As you do this VERY often It seems to me that you are either a) Trying to up your post count artificially or b)Hoping to make everyone "think" you are the second coming of Smokey Yunick.

You may very well be a bright guy but the fact of the matter here is that without something impressive to show the guys on this board not many people are going to think you are the next John Lingenfelter.

However, everyone is entitled to their opinion and the powers that be (Admins/Mods) don't seem to mind you posting as you do. SO, there is nothing stopping you from staying your present course..

Sorry for the hi-jack....

Search this Thread