Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My APS TT Install Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007 | 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default silicone

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
I just used a 4 ply silicon coupling. I just got the car aligned today, so I haven't had it into boost yet, but it looks cool w/ no maf there.
how about the silicone hose vendor?
Old 10-11-2007 | 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

sent pm
Old 10-12-2007 | 10:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Well you have had a bit more seat time so maybe a few more impressions and questions?

So do you not notice much more vibration from those new poly motor mounts?
Can you hear the turbos spooling up? can you hear those blow offs?
So are you still pleased with the kit..any problems however little that have come up?
I am not going to have my kit installed now until next spring. Too bad as it would have been nice to play with the car a bit even on stock engine. But figure might as well be a bit more patient and do it in spring with new engine. Then can run some big boost and really make the car fly. I am still undecided on the fuel system. APS has not given prices it seems on the add on rails part of the twin pump system. Also heard some stuff on vette forum about lines in bucket rupturing but think that has been addressed and fixed.

So would you say even with stock motor you car is pretty scary fast now? I have only had a ride in a couple of low psi sts cars both at 5psi one on stock ls1 and one on stock lt1. And had ride in near stock procharged ls1.It was fairly fast and think it did have around 500 rwhp but procharger makes it power very differently from the twin turbos.
Any little kill stories you might want to share..fictional ones of course..wink wink.
You are correct. I have almost 2,000 miles on the kit now. And it has been a blast! No I don't notice any vibrations. I did change to the BMR torque arm relocation bracket so I get more noise from that now. But that is better than my trans dripping.

Yes you can hear the turbo's spooling. And man is that sound addicting!!
Yes you can hear the BOV's and it does not sound bad either.

I installed my 160 deg thermostat last night and it runs a little cooler but still warmer than it did stock.

Overall yes I am very pleased with the kit. No problems whatso-ever. I get in start it up and drive. No drips in my garage as I check it just in case. The car drives normal if I am easy on the gas and it a total beast if I get into boost.

Yeah this stock motor is scary fast. I have had many passengers yell "That's enough" at the top of 3rd gear.

I managed 2 mustang kills last saturday. One was a supercharged SN-95 with 410 to the wheels that didn't know I was turbo'd. Surprise! You just ended up in my rearview mirror. The other was a Saleen S281 (not really a challenge but still fun). I have kept up with a Harley V-Rod on the street. Think I really pissed him off cause he was really winding that thing out. A couple of Sti's have played around and some others. All in all lots of good fun and some surprises for those that don't know my car.
Old 10-12-2007 | 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for answering that stuff there Hugger! Sounds excellent. You can add a bottle of redline water wetter even with normal antifreeze mix and it might get you 10 degrees cooler. Every bit helps. Also the 160 stat won't do much of anything on its own ,you have to change your fan settings to make the temps come down. I am wondering if will need to get a different rad but cross that bridge when I come to it. They make some for our cars so not overly worried but not totally sure they work with stock fans and that they are not too thick.Don't think there is much extra clearance in there.
Nice to hear not more vibration and yes turbo cars are neat .They are wolves in sheeps clothing. So docile off boost and as you said a tiger on boost. I have a crazy 97 talon done to the 9s that can put out 650max or so engine hp and have run it around 500 to 550 engine hp and its pretty light car around 3100 pounds. It hauls good bananas.60fts to die for even on street tires.It spun a bearing so will be going thru the engine
over the winter.

Fun stuff on those mustangs. Even stock 500 or so turbo rwhp is nothing to sneeze at and area under the curves is usually the real reason most turbo cars can wipe out most centrifical blowers just driving around type of races. At the track where you can rev the heck out of the centrificals they seem to do just fine too. Might go ati procharger in my 96z28 vert at some point in time. Nice to have all types of power adders they are all fun!

Wish that kit had got here in spring,then would have played with it on my stock motor for a bit. Oh well this pause before install will give me more time to plan out and buy my fuel system and figure out what ypipe to order ,install things like the alc injection,,guages,play with my tuning on the non turboed car a bit more .all good things. And a few more tips and tricks on install and stuff are coming out now as more guys do their aps kits.

It should be a super fun next season. Can't wait! At least this time around I can go out and look at my APS kit in the garage in the boxes. I lost a lot of money last year on GMR turbo kit deposit..2000 large! Thats why its nice to have a company that actually ships the products and even a bit early.Some vette guys are annoyed they had some hold ups on their c6 kits or something but whatever. APS still seems very solid compared to most of the fly by night or little companies. I would warn guys on here about buying from the little guys. I learned that lesson the hard way.Company had good local rep and was around a long time and then gone in a flash from partnership war I guess.

Sure will have a few more questions to throw at you and other fellow APS owners.
Still wondering when they will have pricing on that add on to the twin pump system.
In other good news our dollar up here is now a bit past yours so that helps me buy my new heads and other parts that still need to finish up my car.
Old 10-14-2007 | 05:45 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mterveen
mine is ready to fire up also but have decided to switch out the new 918 valve springs with the new 928s which won't be here until late next week. oh well, always other little stuff to do. have made a "list" of issues i ran across during the install that i wish the directions had spelled out more clearly. i'll post them later for those who care! been hoping aps would get the mafless intake tubing done and released but looks like i'll just order some silicone piping from a vendor instead. sure did appreciate all the pics you took huggerz. helped clear up some stuff for me.
I'll post up final pricing and delivery details on the APS MAF delete connection hose later this week, sorry for the delay, I've been extremely busy over the last few weeks.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 10-14-2007 | 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default maf delete

hope its really expensive so i can feel better for ordering the straight silicone hose last week
Old 10-14-2007 | 07:37 PM
Launching!

Not to rain on anyones parade, but why is everyone so anxious to get the MAF delete hose?

Just leave the MAF and keep it unplugged.
Old 10-14-2007 | 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default maf less

Originally Posted by fil131
Not to rain on anyones parade, but why is everyone so anxious to get the MAF delete hose?

Just leave the MAF and keep it unplugged.
for me its: 1) cleaner looking and 2) no restrictions going thru the maf.
Old 10-14-2007 | 08:10 PM
Launching!

then junk out the internals of your maf. lol I'm just kidding of course.
Old 10-15-2007 | 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Thanks for answering that stuff there Hugger! Sounds excellent. You can add a bottle of redline water wetter even with normal antifreeze mix and it might get you 10 degrees cooler. Every bit helps. Also the 160 stat won't do much of anything on its own ,you have to change your fan settings to make the temps come down. I am wondering if will need to get a different rad but cross that bridge when I come to it. They make some for our cars so not overly worried but not totally sure they work with stock fans and that they are not too thick.Don't think there is much extra clearance in there.
I had the fan settings changed when I had the car tuned. As I knew I would be putting in the 160 deg thermostat. It did make it run a little cooler when I installed the thermostat as my dash gauge is a little lower now. Just not as low as I would have hoped. I have not had any problems with it yet. It gets up to temp and stays there. There has only been 1 day where I used my AC and the temp did go a little higher when the AC was on. So I will have to keep an eye on that next summer. I am also using dexcool and was told water wetter would not work with that.

I did notice that the APS shrouding that comes with the kit does a nice job of directing the air through the intercooler. But does not block off the sides of the AC condensor or radiator behind the intercooler. So I may fab up some side covers to make sure the air is actually going through the heat exchangers and not exiting the sides there. Air will flow the path of least resistance. Sometimes it needs a little direction. I will see what happens in the warmer months next year. But so far I have not had any problems.

Last edited by Hugger Z; 10-15-2007 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-15-2007 | 02:26 PM
Staging Lane
15 Year Member

You're not going to see much on the instrument cluster. Our temp gauge is more of a warning light then a gauge. It'll sit right at 210 if the temp is even close to in range. Like you, I have a 160 in now and it shows only slightly lower, but I bet an independent gauge would show different.
Old 11-11-2007 | 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default clutch

how is your ls7 clutch holding up? i was out playing a bit yesterday in mine with the stock ls6 clutch - spun thru 1st, spun thru 2nd, started spinning in 3 rd and then it felt like the clutch started to slip so i got off it. guess the winter project will be an upgraded clutch. trying to decide if the ls7 is "enough" or need to spend some big bucks for a textralia or the like. any opnions from the 500rwhp+ group would be appreciated.
Old 11-11-2007 | 12:42 PM
9 Second Club

Man I cant wait to hear mine with the turbosmart BOV's !
Old 11-12-2007 | 01:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Let us know how it turns out!
Old 11-12-2007 | 03:28 AM
9 Second Club

Ill be close today. But it wont be finished. But Ill post some pics. Ill say thins they fit no problem. But I cant fully adjust them untill I dyno and street drive the car first. Then I can button up the front end
Old 11-12-2007 | 03:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Do you think the Tial BOV's will fit without fitment issues? They are pretty big but I love their sound.

Quick Reply: My APS TT Install Thread