Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My APS TT Install Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My APS TT Install Thread

Started the install last night. Kit arrived last Monday but I decided to wait until after the Woodward Dream Cruise to install it. Needed to have a car to cruise in! Anyway began the teardown last night. Removed the front end and all accessory components there. Hoping to have this done and back together in 2 weeks. I will try to keep this thread updated as I progress.

Tonight I plan to go through the turbo kit and check everything off on the BOM to make sure nothing is missing. Don't want to get too far into this and discover I don't have something I need.

Note the REALLY thick install manual next to my air lid....
Attached Thumbnails My APS TT Install Thread-disassembly1_21aug07.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-disassembly2_21aug07.jpg  
Old 08-22-2007, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us updated. I would be interested how difficult it is to install b/c Im thinking about buying the kit.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by formulamd
Keep us updated. I would be interested how difficult it is to install b/c Im thinking about buying the kit.
The install instructions are very detailed and so far easy to follow. If these don't scare you, then you should be fine.

http://www.airpowersystems.com/guide...sgmf-tts01.pdf

But I plan to try to keep this thread updated every time I get to work on the car.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

OK, cranked on it more tonight. First item of tonight was to verify all parts on the BOM were included in the kit. So I layed everything out. Anyone for a giant jigsaw puzzle? I am very happy with the kit so far. The parts are very high quality and will hopefully bolt right up. They packed these things incredibly well for the trip here from Australia. Look at all that shine. I am gonna HAVE to do some engine bay dressing up next season so it all looks better together.

Next I drained all of the fluids (Oil, Coolant). Got the exhaust off, took the coil packs off, and any other items still attached to the front of the car. Next step is the K-Member.....may need to phone some friends for that one!

Enjoy the pics.
Attached Thumbnails My APS TT Install Thread-turbo-kit-check.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-disassembly1_22aug07.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-disassembly2_22aug07.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-disassembly3_22aug07.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-disassembly4_22aug07.jpg  

My APS TT Install Thread-disassembly5_22aug07.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-disassembly6_22aug07.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-disassembly7_22aug07.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-disassembly8_22aug07.jpg  
Old 08-22-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

The K-member is REALLY easy, don't fret it.. It does help to have a couple extra hands when you're lowering the stock one though, it's really heavy. The BMR you can put in yourself though
Old 08-22-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good so far. Good luck with the build. I take it your going to keep it at low psi?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Banned

Looks excellent! Really interested to see how this kit planes out!!!
Old 08-23-2007, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

I agree on dressing up the engine bay. You must live on a dirt road. Better make it shine, you know everyone is going to want to look under your hood.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brains
The K-member is REALLY easy, don't fret it.. It does help to have a couple extra hands when you're lowering the stock one though, it's really heavy. The BMR you can put in yourself though
Good to know. Yeah, everyone in my local car club has offered to lend a hand. So that should not be a problem. Ha ha.
Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
Looks good so far. Good luck with the build. I take it your going to keep it at low psi?
Yeah staying with the stock 7psi wastegate springs for now. Still on a stock block that I want to make live for another year or two.
Originally Posted by 2000TurboVert
Looks excellent! Really interested to see how this kit planes out!!!
Yeah I can't wait to start getting this stuff mounted in the car. Very soon! Almost done with the disassembly.
Originally Posted by Sixspeed02TA
I agree on dressing up the engine bay. You must live on a dirt road. Better make it shine, you know everyone is going to want to look under your hood.
Sadly, no dirt road here. Just daily driven and the last day it was on the road was raining like crazy here. So it was not clean to start with. Funny thing is nothing will be seen other than the intercooler neck when the hood is opened. But I will know what lies beneath!
Old 08-23-2007, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

hard parts allmost done, getting all the stock crap off....time for the fun part, getting everything in there..
Old 08-23-2007, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

Didn't get a ton done tonight. Ran out to get some sealants at the store. Then mostly a bunch of subassembly items. Put the heat shielding and studs on the manifolds. Put the water and oil attachment fittings on the turbo's. And put the wastegates on the downpipes. Things are looking SWEET!!!!! Enjoy today's edition of the automotive ****!
Attached Thumbnails My APS TT Install Thread-subassy5_23aug07.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-subassy1_23aug07.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-subassy2_23aug07.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-subassy3_23aug07.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-subassy4_23aug07.jpg  

Old 08-23-2007, 10:09 PM
NKAWTG...N

Is the kit "bolt on" or are you required to do any cutting and/or welding?

Looks really good!
Old 08-23-2007, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Is the kit "bolt on" or are you required to do any cutting and/or welding?

Looks really good!
There is minimal cutting to get some parts to fit. No welding. Everything else bolts right up. You can read the install instructions on APS's website if you are interested. They are very detailed with lots of pictures.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Brains
You are slowly convincing me to install the kit myself. I was worried the k-member install would be very difficult without a lift. Did you remove the k-member only, or did you remove it with the engine and trans still attached.

I am planning to do H/C at the same time as the turbo install.

I remember seeing a write-up of how to remove the k-member with the engine and trans still attached without a lift. I am considering going that route because I need to swap out my clutch as well. I need to find the write-up again.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

Ordered 18" wheels/tires today. So the car will be looking GOOD when she comes out of the grage with the twins on! Yeah baby!!!! Now I can finally install the monster brakes that have been on the workbench for a while.
Attached Thumbnails My APS TT Install Thread-black_c6_z06.jpg  
Old 08-24-2007, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking good.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WS6 John
You are slowly convincing me to install the kit myself. I was worried the k-member install would be very difficult without a lift. Did you remove the k-member only, or did you remove it with the engine and trans still attached.

I am planning to do H/C at the same time as the turbo install.

I remember seeing a write-up of how to remove the k-member with the engine and trans still attached without a lift. I am considering going that route because I need to swap out my clutch as well. I need to find the write-up again.
If you're going to be doing heads/cam at the same time, I'd also drop the whole thing out -- I know there's a step-by-step somewhere on the site you can follow. That's a fair amount of work, but can be done without a lift.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks really good Tony, like i said else where...if ya need help, just get ahold of me...to drop the K-member, it's not too hard. i dropped my stock one once in my garage.....use a cherry picker to hold the motor up. leave the trans attached to it's crossbrace and just pull the k-member down
Old 08-24-2007, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

Today was more little stuff. Finally got the rest of the exhaust off of the car. Took off all of the heat shields to get to the gas tank. Started some of the cutting to get the intercooler in place. What a chore that was! My arms are killing me from swinging a 5lb sledge reworking a small lip. Removed the starter and relocated the ground wire near it. And last but not least removed the stock exhaust manifolds. I am to the point where I need to have some extra hands for any of the next steps (dropping fuel tank, dropping K-Member, installing turbo manifolds, downpipes). Enjoy today's edition of the pics!
Attached Thumbnails My APS TT Install Thread-exhaust_24aug07.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-fuel-tank_24aug07.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-lower-rad-trim_24aug07.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-upper-rad-trim1_24aug07.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-upper-rad-trim2_24aug07.jpg  

My APS TT Install Thread-lh-side_24aug07.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-rh-side_24aug07.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-stock-manifolds_24aug07.jpg  
Old 08-24-2007, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS4Matt
Looks really good Tony, like i said else where...if ya need help, just get ahold of me...to drop the K-member, it's not too hard. i dropped my stock one once in my garage.....use a cherry picker to hold the motor up. leave the trans attached to it's crossbrace and just pull the k-member down
I may take you up on that next week. This weekend is busy with parties and stuff so car time will be sporatic. But next week after work I plan to be in the garage. I will provide food and drinks if you are willing to lend a hand. Thanks Matt!

Quick Reply: My APS TT Install Thread