Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

and now for somethimg completely different..... OFI install!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default and now for somethimg completely different..... OFI install!

Well, the other thread was getting quite long, sooo... i guess we can start with build-up thread as everything is in and ready to be installed and tuned!

Well, the motor was assembled and painted. The headers and crossover was fitted and it all lines up fine, so worries there. However, when the motor when in, we had an issue where the driver side header rubs a bit agains't the wheel-well fender. The passenger one is fine but its tiiiight!! Let see, the intake elbow and the cowl are not getting along. We either gonna have to mill the manifold down .5" or just trim the cowl section off.

Now, since mine is a convertible and i'm using a spohn RR k-member, there might be some normal issues since the kit was built on a hardtop z28. Well, the intake elbow hitting the cowl is common. The engine bay is gonna get a final spray with just to finish off the look when all is set and done. Gonna clean up the old parts, or swap out some of the lines to stainless lines to match the look of the build.

Still, its starting to look like something..

here are some pics, not much, but its a start. LaterZ, enjoy!

ATI harmonic balancer

TCI flexplate

and the cold side!!!!

Old 08-27-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im diggin the black looks good.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:39 PM
9 Second Club

wrap the downpipe where it goes around the alternator...put some heat reflecting tape on the side of the alternator where it faces the downpipe...ask me how i know this
Old 08-27-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Looking good. You may want to take the flexplate down to the bare metal anywhere that a screw touches it.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
Looking good. You may want to take the flexplate down to the bare metal anywhere that a screw touches it.

I agree there....

And on the elbow.... id mill it down a lil before cutting the cowl if your going to drive the car in the rain any.....

THe black looks good man.....

Kyle
Old 08-27-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

man that looks awesome. i shouldve went with the black theme like you. keep up the awesome work.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Looks awesome!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 08-27-2007, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by theblur98ss

i agree, grind away the powder coating around the bolts

looks badass!!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

Looking good!

Nice to see an OFI kit going together. What options did you go with? What Turbo?

My kits being built now and and I have an S88 coming .

Dan
Old 08-28-2007, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

What happened to your Rev Extreme setup?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Rev Extreme? I never had any work done from them. I was part of a dyno/tune day with Jeremy from extreme but that's about it. Are you possibly confusing it with V.R.E.?

Thanks ya'll!!! Its coming together with the usual hang-ups! But, where making it work. Cable, thanks. We were just talking about that. We had that in mind knowing that the downpipe is a bit close to the alternator and power steering pump; thus we figured that we might have to deal with it.

We did run into a problem with the a/c condenser/radiator install. Since Joel is quite difficult to get a hold of, and he hasn't provided any provisions to the kit, we went ahead and dealed with it. What we did was mount the OFI radiator, installed the condenser after the radiator or behind it, than used three fans to try to keep everything cool. Two are pushers (not the ones from the kit, we never got the OFI fans) and on puller mounted on the condenser. I know you had issues with your condenser heating up and killing your a/c, so we are testing to see if this works or not. If not, we will try to use the stock radiator/fan setup and mount the condenser in the stock location.

Only time will tell what may happen.

As for everything else, we cut out the necesary area in the front support to mount the intercooler, removed the foam, and tested the cold side. The coldside didn't really match up well, as the TB pipe to driver IC outlet pipe didn't meet. But, nothing major.

Also, the TB elbow is now hitting the hood! (ARRGGHHHHH!!!!) So we are gonna see what we can do about that. Its enough where you shaving the hood is not a possibility since its more than just a few hundreds.

But, you cannot have a build like this without setback, it wouldn't be as rewarding in the end! Got some new pics. Thanks again guys and gals.... we're almost done. Cannot wait to get this thing tuned.

Oh, here is the link to my of thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=begun

Ok, this is the radiator installed with IC in for ground

Two pusher fans installed

Ok, support installed and chopped for IC

...and headers, crossover, and turbo installed/mocked-up (Also my favorite!!)

Really want to thank Eric and his people for pulling "all-nighters" to get this project finalized. Im sure if i would of gotten crazy from frustration and probably breaking some expensive!
Old 08-28-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Looking good!

Nice to see an OFI kit going together. What options did you go with? What Turbo?

My kits being built now and and I have an S88 coming .

Dan
Yeah, if you wish, there is cablebandit and a few others that have a f-body OFI kit. Check em' out if you haven't already.

Options? Well, my kit had options for a t6 turbo, however, i don't have the larger downpipe which in time, I might get for some testing.

Right, my current turbo is the s85, just a hair smaller than the s88. As well, in time i'm considering going to either an upgrade to the s88 of go bigger with a s95, or something stupid big like that!

good luck with your kit! Hopefully you might pick something up on tips to get the most out of these kits.

LaterZ!
Old 08-28-2007, 12:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by obZidian
Yeah, if you wish, there is cablebandit and a few others that have a f-body OFI kit. Check em' out if you haven't already.

Options? Well, my kit had options for a t6 turbo, however, i don't have the larger downpipe which in time, I might get for some testing.

Right, my current turbo is the s85, just a hair smaller than the s88. As well, in time i'm considering going to either an upgrade to the s88 of go bigger with a s95, or something stupid big like that!

good luck with your kit! Hopefully you might pick something up on tips to get the most out of these kits.

LaterZ!
yeah, I've been reading everything I can find on all the OFI stuff. Your not getting all your parts sucks though.

I almost went with the S91, but for now the S88 will exceed my goals .

Is the intake pipe hitting the hood because of the intake elbow?

Good luck on the rest of the install and I look forward to the rest of the progress and updated Pics.

Dan
Old 08-28-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

thanks! First thing first, make sure you get everything before doing the install.
actually, no, the elbow is the one hitting the hood. Furthermore, you shouldn't have any issues since my setup includes a single plane manifold while your using the fast intake.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

That looks awesome, can't wait to see it done!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, me too!!!

Just got word that the turbo kit completely installed, including BOV, wastegate and complete coldside. Again, since there was some issues lining the coldside, the IC oultlet pipe had to be cut, re-aligned, then tac'd to get it to line up with the TB charge pipe. Its a bit frustrating but unavoidable.

Getting pics in a bit so keep it locked!!

laterZ!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Veteran

OMG! THat's what I'm dreaming of doing!

Subscribed!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Can't wait to see pics. I'm curious why the cold side needed the extra work. That worries me a bit since I'll be doing my install myself.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

well, i didn't want to alarm anyone but maybe i could shed some light.

When I purchased the kit, it was mentioned/stated that this was going to be for a single plane application. Furthermore, it is usual that some odd things vary between a convertible chassis and a hardtop, since the verts. need more bracing to compensate for, well, not having a roof!!

Also, the k-member im using is not the one, if i remember correctly, he built the kit on. It was mocked on either or both; a stock k-member or a bmr. Both will vary if it's not for a convertible.

So, if i was you, i wouldn't panic. Just wait to get your kit and see what happens. I hope the Joel is getting things in order over there so the quality of his work should of imporved. Thus, it's not to worry too much...

One thing for sure is that your gonna need a saw of some type, or a plasma cutter if possible, since, for example, you will need to cut the bumper support to allow some breathing room for intercooler.

Hope that helps a bit..
Old 08-28-2007, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

All the info helps buddy . Your already going to make my istall easier just posting up what your doing.

theblur98ss, is Joel making your kit right now?

Dan

Quick Reply: and now for somethimg completely different..... OFI install!